PDA

View Full Version : Crepe Myrtle's blooms are too heavy, breaking branches. Need help ASAP!

DillonsLawnCare
07-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I have three crepe myrtles that i have to take care of at this one house that i have a landscaping contract on. Everything is going fine, im trimming off all of the new growth down a the bottom and everything is great. We just had about 4 days of rain here, so everything shot up and the new pink blooms on the crepe myrtle got wet, and they are too heavy for the branches. The branches are breaking. Branches are pretty long. They haven't been trimmed since last fall. It looks horrible. Do i just go ahead and trim off the new blooms? Or should i wait? Cause this tree is under a lot of stress just trying to hold up the blooms. I don't want to cut too early and perform a crepe murder........

Thanks

George D
07-30-2009, 02:08 PM
see if you can get something to hold the branches up for right now like planter hooks,lowes has nice ones like 3-8ft tall when your done you remove them til you need them agin or give them to your momfor hanging baskets

just my .02

DillonsLawnCare
07-30-2009, 06:15 PM
That wouldn't work because all the branches are bent over. it would look horrible with a bunch of rope tied between the branches. idk.....

Think Green
07-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Dillon,
We have a clinic with 16 excellently colored Dynamite Crepes. We keep the sucker's off the bottoms by hand and each year, keep the crowns thinned. Doing this to keep the long branches of the parked cars has given way for tall leggy branches that cannot hold enough weight. This last few weeks, the blooms are off the chart with a record year of colorful flowers. We have had immense rains and fluctuant temperatures that have led to our unseasonal thunderstorms and odd weather. To hurry up and answer the question, our branches are heavy too and they are breaking off left and right. Try to keep the limbs picked up after they fall. Take hand trimmers and cut off the torn areas There isn't much to do unless the leader branches are splitting. The one's i am taking about are the ones that are 1-2 inches in diameter. Anything smaller than this will have to weather the over abundance of flowers. My pear trees have more fruit than they can carry, so I had to reduce the weight by taking off the pears before they were ripe.
I am comparing apples to ornages here, but in this case, the crepe myrtle is resiliant and will be ok. Reassure the customer that this is normal from time to time and just keeping the trees cleaned is all that can be done.

DillonsLawnCare
08-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Dillon,
We have a clinic with 16 excellently colored Dynamite Crepes. We keep the sucker's off the bottoms by hand and each year, keep the crowns thinned. Doing this to keep the long branches of the parked cars has given way for tall leggy branches that cannot hold enough weight. This last few weeks, the blooms are off the chart with a record year of colorful flowers. We have had immense rains and fluctuant temperatures that have led to our unseasonal thunderstorms and odd weather. To hurry up and answer the question, our branches are heavy too and they are breaking off left and right. Try to keep the limbs picked up after they fall. Take hand trimmers and cut off the torn areas There isn't much to do unless the leader branches are splitting. The one's i am taking about are the ones that are 1-2 inches in diameter. Anything smaller than this will have to weather the over abundance of flowers. My pear trees have more fruit than they can carry, so I had to reduce the weight by taking off the pears before they were ripe.
I am comparing apples to ornages here, but in this case, the crepe myrtle is resiliant and will be ok. Reassure the customer that this is normal from time to time and just keeping the trees cleaned is all that can be done.

Thank you very much for your reply! It has helped me 100%!!!

Thanks again!!:usflag::waving::cool2: