PDA

View Full Version : nutsedge

wcb607a
07-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Do you guys include the control of nutsedge in your pricing or do you charge extra?

americanlawn
07-30-2009, 08:09 PM
We charge if there is a fair amount. If it only takes a couple minutes, it's free.

Last week I was at a customer's lawn. Said his neighbor across the street was going to have TG spray his front yard for yellow nutsedge. I figured it was about 4000 sq ft, and most of it had no nutsedge. He was paying $80. I thought that was high cuz one gallon would be enough to spray it all. IMO

lawnspecialties
07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Ditto on what americanlawn said. I keep a 3 gallon hand pump sprayer with me all summer long. All it has in it is Sedgehammer. I see a new spot of nutsedge, it gets hit. Typically, the next week, it's dead.

EVM
07-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Do you guys include the control of nutsedge in your pricing or do you charge extra?

It is an extra application for me and I always put the charge in the estimate for every customer. I assume the customer will have nutsedge/dallisgrass or some other obnoxious weed pop up in June/July that regular apps do not control.

Think Green
07-30-2009, 10:12 PM
WCB,
When I make the seasonal schedule out to new customers, I will give them a printout of our stubborn grasses like Dallis-Crab-and Nutsedge. This is so they can compare the weeds that are in their lawn if needed. I tell them in writing that these weeds are controlled in an access of 75%-85% percent on a yearly basis. Nutsedges are written as weeds that arise during wet conditions in certain soil types. The fee for our normal services will cover nominal outbreaks, but if the problems are excessive, then we charge more. The chemicals are expensive to have and use.

wcb607a
07-30-2009, 10:14 PM
I purchases dismiss for nutsedge and it says .092 per 1000. How many sq ft do you typically get out of a gallon of a sg20?

EVM
07-30-2009, 10:17 PM
I purchases dismiss for nutsedge and it says .092 per 1000. How many sq ft do you typically get out of a gallon of a sg20?

Sedge Hammer? You get many gallons out of that jar. .9 grams is good for 2 gallons of water with a surfactant.

RigglePLC
07-30-2009, 10:53 PM
We charge extra for nutsedge. Special treatment.

drobin
07-30-2009, 10:58 PM
a customer is getting 4 treatments, the third is in the summer and I do a summer fert and a grub prevention and spray all weeds this is early July. now its the end of july and they call and tell me they have an outbreak of nutsedge, 3/4 of the front lawn 12000 sq ft is covered. We did not discuss the potential for this problem prior. 4th treatment is aerate and seed. Do I charge extra or take it on the chin?

EVM
07-30-2009, 11:02 PM
a customer is getting 4 treatments, the third is in the summer and I do a summer fert and a grub prevention and spray all weeds this is early July. now its the end of july and they call and tell me they have an outbreak of nutsedge, 3/4 of the front lawn 12000 sq ft is covered. We did not discuss the potential for this problem prior. 4th treatment is aerate and seed. Do I charge extra or take it on the chin?

You can spray the nut grass with a suppression herbicide and take it on the chin. Momentum FX and other cheap herbicides will suppress nutsedge. Next year you can add the cost in.

jbturf
07-30-2009, 11:21 PM
I would not eat it,
i could see spot treating a couple weeds, but not a
blanket spray
decide your position and explain it

my contract is worded to include control of broadleaf weeds+
crabgrass with program , and nutsedge at an additional charge

we have had pretty widespread nutsedge pressure in my area the
the past couple of years, and i have since increased my program cost
enough to include nutsedge control, i only bill it out if i have to blanket
spray a property or portion there of.

be sure to comunicate that it takes a specialty herbicide to eridicate this
pest which is neither a broadleafed or grassy weed

hughmcjr
07-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Sedge Hammer? You get many gallons out of that jar. .9 grams is good for 2 gallons of water with a surfactant.

Here is what the label says for spot treatments which is usually what is needed:

Mix 0.9 gram of this product in one or two gallons of water to treat 1000 square feet. Add 2 teaspoons (1/3 fluid ounce) of nonionic
surfactant per gallon of water.

My consultant recommends 0.9, one small packer per gallon/1000 sq ft.

A lot of these labels say to use a surfactant, but with (Colonial) bentgrass being predominant at most of my accounts and here in Oregon in general since it creeps and eventually takes over every lawn here in Oregon it is an issue. How dry it is in the summer I NEVER do or it will burn the bent especially if spot treating weeds with 2,4d, banvel and a surfactant. The problem is most of the nutsedge issues I have is off turf, so adding Ad Buff is fine, but not for the few sprouts of nutsedge growing in turf. I learned the hard way years ago not to use surfactants and the like on bentgrass when doing spot spraying with selective herbicides. I never did use it since then for weed spraying on lawns although it might be better when blanket spraying so as not to do damage to the bent like one can do when spot spraying.

Puttinggreens
07-31-2009, 09:26 AM
We charge extra. If the customer has Nutsedge we ask first. Usually one or two apps per year, especially on those lawns with irrigation.

kirk1701
07-31-2009, 10:05 AM

Been fighting the nutsedge all summer, actually thinking about breaking down and getting a bottle of sedge hammer while the temps are below 90. :)

EVM
07-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Been fighting the nutsedge all summer, actually thinking about breaking down and getting a bottle of sedge hammer while the temps are below 90. :)

If sprayed right, sedge hammer does not burn. I use a fan tip on a back pack sprayer, full compression in the tank and one quick swipe across the plant(s) with the trigger engaged is all you need.

hughmcjr
08-01-2009, 03:21 AM
If sprayed right, sedge hammer does not burn. I use a fan tip on a back pack sprayer, full compression in the tank and one quick swipe across the plant(s) with the trigger engaged is all you need.

Good to know as I am about to hit some next week.

Thanks,

Hugh

Please_Be_Green
08-01-2009, 07:47 AM
My neighbor has a case of nutsedge... Certain sections are heavily infested, I'm talking 8x8 foot areas... He's got about 10-12 of those heavily infested areas.

He's got some local company performing general fert and broad leaf weed control.

Last year he received a $400 quote to broadcast for nutsedge over 15,000sq/ft. He did not need a broadcast over 15,000sq/ft. He then asked me what I thought of that quote. I said that's f'n crazy, mixed up 2 gallons of sedgehammer for him, told him to spray lightly over the section. 2 weeks later he was out there hand pulling the yellowing dead sedges out of his grass... sedgefree fro the remainder of the summer.

Moral of the story... don't try to screw a customer... If the company came in lower and possibly different strategy then I'm sure he would have been more than happy to pay the bill, but his normal spring weed control was only $98.00. To offer a "special" treatment at 4x the spring weed control didn't sit well.

On the other hand he didn't offer to pay me for my product ( I would have asked $10.00), so I didn't suggest a follow up spray nor did I offer the product this year and he's got the sedges back again this year... while my lawn is sedgefree.:-)

kirk1701
08-01-2009, 09:14 AM

Thanks EVM.
Another question; I'm seeing the word "surfactant" used most of the sites I've googled what does it mean, is it something extra mixed in with the product like to keep it from drifting I assume?

Use a non-ionic surfactant with this product.

Have any suggestions on where to order from online and get the surfactant to at the same time would be appreciated :drinkup:

lawnspecialties
08-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks EVM.
Another question; I'm seeing the word "surfactant" used most of the sites I've googled what does it mean, is it something extra mixed in with the product like to keep it from drifting I assume?

Have any suggestions on where to order from online and get the surfactant to at the same time would be appreciated :drinkup:

Surfactant (some folks here call it "sticker") is something you add to the mix to help break the surface tension of the plants. You know how some plants just cause water to bead up on their surface? If you can make the water (or herbicide) "slicker", it will penetrate the surface of the plant instead of bead up.

Lesco (John Deere Landscapes) carries it. You can probably find some at your local farm supply store as well. In a pinch, I've used Joy dishwashing liquid and it worked just fine. Just don't put it in the mix until after you've filled your tank. Makes a sudsy mess. :laugh:

Service 1st Lawn Care
08-01-2009, 10:16 AM
We have had a lot this season you have to charge them they don't give Sedgehammer away. Make sure you put in a sticker, In your business to stay in business charge them.

Good Day

JWTurfguy
08-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Seriously, guys....nutsedge comes up every year. Is this really the first time you've had to deal with it? Why wouldn't you just make sure to include it as a service in the contract and leave it up to the customer to decide whether or not they want to pay you to spray it? If it's not worth their money to pay you to spray it, it's not worth your time/money to perform the service.

greendoctor
08-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I followed the posts with great interest. In my area, failure to control sedges in lawn and ornamental areas or causing damage to turf/ornamentals while attempting to control sedges gets you fired. Also, saying "it will cost extra" does not look professional. Customers in my area will be upset if their lawn service tries to nickel and dime them like that. Purple nutsedge and all varieties of kyllinga are common in Hawaii.

turf hokie
08-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I followed the posts with great interest. In my area, failure to control sedges in lawn and ornamental areas or causing damage to turf/ornamentals while attempting to control sedges gets you fired. Also, saying "it will cost extra" does not look professional. Customers in my area will be upset if their lawn service tries to nickel and dime them like that. Purple nutsedge and all varieties of kyllinga are common in Hawaii.

I agree 110%. Other than the hawaii bit, wish I could say I lived in Hawaii.:dizzy:

hughmcjr
08-05-2009, 10:46 PM
I agree as well with Greendoctor and although it has a cost, really Sedgehammer is relatively cheap. For the little bit I will use, about a packet to a gallon or two and costing me ten dollars and an hour total of my time since it is sparse at only a half dozen accounts, I won't charge extra. I say either include the cost in weed control and or make it up somewhere else.

TMlawncare
08-05-2009, 11:52 PM
You can spray the nut grass with a suppression herbicide and take it on the chin. Momentum FX and other cheap herbicides will suppress nutsedge. Next year you can add the cost in.

Momentum FX offers no nutsedge suppression. Q4 and those with the same active ingred. yes, Momentum no.

EVM
08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Momentum will burn it down.

Ric3077
08-06-2009, 10:33 AM
I always charge for it

SimonCX
08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I m pretty sure monentum fx2 has nutsedge listed in the label and will suppress it. I just tried q4 a couple days ago to spot spray a couple places so I'll see how well it works.

EVM
08-06-2009, 12:29 PM
I m pretty sure monentum fx2 has nutsedge listed in the label and will suppress it. I just tried q4 a couple days ago to spot spray a couple places so I'll see how well it works.

It is on the label. Nutsedge is listed at the bottom of the page under "Yellow Nutsedge"

lilmarvin4064
08-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Anyone ever try a combo of Sedgehammer + Dismiss? I was wondering if this would work similar to a mix of glyphosate + diquat. I might try some this mix within the next week; I'll let you know.

I've been using a mix of Momentum FX2 + Dismiss. It has been working great up until recently, just the last 1/2 oz left in the bottle not working so great.

Oh, and by the way... I've been getting very good selective NIMBLEWILL suppresion/control with this combo!

http://www.lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=5694

profigala
08-06-2009, 02:24 PM
We mix surge and sedgehammer and we get a great kill out for the rest of the season. I spray lawn in may and have them sedge free for the rest of the year.

SimonCX
08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Anyone ever try a combo of Sedgehammer + Dismiss? I was wondering if this would work similar to a mix of glyphosate + diquat. I might try some this mix within the next week; I'll let you know.

I've been using a mix of Momentum FX2 + Dismiss. It has been working great up until recently, just the last 1/2 oz left in the bottle not working so great.

Oh, and by the way... I've been getting very good selective NIMBLEWILL suppresion/control with this combo!

http://www.lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=5694

Really I've had a nightmare with nimblewill this year on a couple propreties, fx2 alone didn't do anything.