PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to make this lawn better?

frdm12
07-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I went and looked at this lawn pictured below today. Basically the guy would like it greener, thicker, and there are a couple patches of these weeds that you can see below. My thoughts were aerate, overseed with slicer, and fertilize. Any suggestions? There is some thatch, not too much though, but as you can see, lots of dead grass mixed in there.

JDiepstra
07-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Where are you from and how often do you feed and water?

Smallaxe
07-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Are those broadleaves 'Wild Violets'?
What kind of grass and soil?

bigslick7878
07-30-2009, 11:37 PM
You might want to kill the weeds first, they don't go away by themselves.

frdm12
07-31-2009, 07:33 AM
This is in New Hampshire. I'm not sure the type of weed, but the homeowner did mention they get a blueish flower on them. The homeowner has irragation, but hasn't used it much this year because its been such a wet year here.

Smallaxe
07-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Bluish flower, probably is violets. They are tough to eliminate, so be sure conditions are as perfect as possible when you spray - or have someone spray.

It looks like it has not been feed for quite a while. If so, I would give it some slow release N and not worry about overseeding until the season is right. Not sure about your season, but we may start here in 2 or 3 weeks.

Still good to find out what the soil is like... clay, sandy etc.

White Gardens
07-31-2009, 08:10 AM
What is the compaction like?

Is it newer construction or an old home ??

Is there any topsoil there or is it all clay and silt ??

frdm12
07-31-2009, 11:56 AM
The house it about 5 years old. There is top soil.

Smallaxe
08-01-2009, 04:55 AM
... There is top soil.

Topsoil thats compacts or topsoil that doesn't retain water very well?

Without any knowledge of the soil we will always be doing the wrong thing with lawns.

WETSCAPE
08-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Dig it out and start over again,,,,,,

RigglePLC
08-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Wetscape is right. If the customer want to spend some money for quality this time around. Violets are very difficult to kill. Kill it all with Roundup, twice. Be sure to eliminate every trace of wild violets from gardens and plantings or it will spread back into new grass. Strip the old sod off. Resod with the highest quality sod you can find. See post about Yankees sod. Improve the irrigation so it runs everyday--and only shuts off when the rain sensor blocks the cycle. Be sure he has your service so you can keep the fertility up and the weeds and grubs down. If he tries to be cheap--put on your salesman hat and and explain how quality costs--and pays off in the long run.

Smallaxe
08-02-2009, 10:40 PM
:laugh: He said he's got topsoil!!! What is Topsoil???

Probably will end up with roughly the same mixture of sand and clay - at some ratio or another - similar to what is used in his area.

If that is the best advice you got -- and he really does haul off a few 10 yard loads of dirt -- then you better make sure that the next few 10 yards of dirt is the correct dirt!!! :laugh:

So tell us all : What is good topsoil...

bx24
08-03-2009, 03:11 PM
I went and looked at this lawn pictured below today. Basically the guy would like it greener, thicker, and there are a couple patches of these weeds that you can see below. My thoughts were aerate, overseed with slicer, and fertilize. Any suggestions? There is some thatch, not too much though, but as you can see, lots of dead grass mixed in there.

Well what I would do.

Install irrigation or water correctly
Confront all the weeds or chem or your selection.

PLug and seed in the fall...Fert too..

Whitey4
08-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Wetscape is right. If the customer want to spend some money for quality this time around. Violets are very difficult to kill. Kill it all with Roundup, twice. Be sure to eliminate every trace of wild violets from gardens and plantings or it will spread back into new grass. Strip the old sod off. Resod with the highest quality sod you can find. See post about Yankees sod. Improve the irrigation so it runs everyday--and only shuts off when the rain sensor blocks the cycle. Be sure he has your service so you can keep the fertility up and the weeds and grubs down. If he tries to be cheap--put on your salesman hat and and explain how quality costs--and pays off in the long run.

Riggs knows his stuff, and I probably think that because I always agree with his advice!

That is a MAJOR wild violet infestation. Either kill the entire lawn and renovate, or live with these weeds. Roundup the whole thing.... and roundup again. 2 weeks later dethatch and remove debris, dethatch deeply again. Seed and top dress.

frdm12
08-04-2009, 09:24 PM
That picture is the only spot that has the violets. The lawn is about 7k square feet and the violets are in about a 10x10 area only in the front.

bx24
08-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Why kill the lawn...stupid in my eyes..I would use Confront, seed in fall and water..

Heck, I just kill a 15 by 30 ft of WV in one app.

mdlwn1
08-05-2009, 05:17 PM

LMFAO!

Dont do this...yeah he knows his stuff but he goes overboard.

Rig..can you imagin what would happen if he goes and puts r/u on a heavy clay property at a high rate during wet soil conditions and then does it a second time.......with possibly neighbors nearby?.....sht will run forever. He wouldnt be asking if he was capable of doing everything you suggested.

You can kill the violets with any weed control product containing Dicamba. Sure you have to do it 2 sometines 3 times about 2-3 weeks apart. Basically you need to make a decision...are you seeding now or killing weeds now? Maybe you can seed or whatever on the majority and only spray the bad areas. Problem is the heat...bad timing for either of the 2.

DiyDave
08-05-2009, 08:38 PM
LMFAO!

Dont do this...yeah he knows his stuff but he goes overboard.

Rig..can you imagin what would happen if he goes and puts r/u on a heavy clay property at a high rate during wet soil conditions and then does it a second time.......with possibly neighbors nearby?.....sht will run forever. He wouldnt be asking if he was capable of doing everything you suggested.

You can kill the violets with any weed control product containing Dicamba. Sure you have to do it 2 sometines 3 times about 2-3 weeks apart. Basically you need to make a decision...are you seeding now or killing weeds now? Maybe you can seed or whatever on the majority and only spray the bad areas. Problem is the heat...bad timing for either of the 2.
Roundup has no soil activity, and does not translocate through soil water. Dicamba might have some effects on violets, but the chemical of choice would be 2, 4-D+ Triclopyr, or Clopyralid+ Triclopyr.:drinkup:

Landscape Poet
08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Important to let the homeowner that you will not be able to resolve this issue quickly. The only sure way to make these go away is with a program and proper practices.

IMO - Soil Test First and find out what micro and macro-nutrients you soil is missing to be in the optimum range! Does not matter what you do if your soil is missing som macros and micro's, you can put down the perfect blend of fert and as soon as the effects of it were off you are back to square one.

Weeds - IMO - the only sure way to get them to go away is with a good Pre EM program and proper practices.

Staffordnurseries
08-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Test the soil for PH, check ID for plant through master gardener or extension sevice depending on your state. See if soil conditions are better for the weed than the grass. Feed the grass