PDA

View Full Version : a few questions in getting started

swat220
07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Hello all,
I am looking to get started with my own lawn care business and I have all of my advertising ready to go and my equipment ready to go but I need a little help with the business license and such. I live in upstate NY so does anyone know where I can obtain a license for a decent price? And also I am pretty sure I need to go in as a sole proprietor since for now I will be the only one working for this company but will I be able to change to an LLC later? If so what are the requirements for that? Should I talk to a lawyer in drafting a contract or can I do that on my own? Does anyone have a contract template that they would like to share?
Do you all collect the money in person or have your customers mail in the bill to you? Thanks for the advice to a complete newb!
Posted via Mobile Device

B & B Yardscape
08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't know about NY, but in MI you don't need a license to mow grass, only to apply fertilizers.

You need to get a "DBA" or Doing Business As form filled out at the courthouse in the county you plan on doing business. This is a form that lets you, "bill smith", do business as "Bill Smith Lawn Service".

You can find very good contracts on the internet. You can modify them to fit your needs. Read more on this site about them and what others have in theirs.

You invoice the customer and they mail you a check within the time limit you give to them. "Your payment is do in 15 days." kind of thing. Standing at the door waiting for cash is for the neigborhood kid with a push lawn mower.

Good Luck

swat220
08-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback! That was just what I was looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device