PDA

View Full Version : Help

lady jane
07-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Could someone tell me how much time it should take to spread a yard of mulch please?

mtg97
07-31-2009, 04:33 PM
14 minutes if i can back my dump up to the site dump it on level ground and spread it with no trees, shrub or plants, also that includes no edging or weed pulling, your question is like asking how long it will take to change an alternator on a truck, there are variables do you have to take three other belts off to get to your alternator?

lady jane
07-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks. That helped alot. I was going to figure for variables I just needed somewhere to start. I just got a new job as manager of a landscaping copmany. I know managing but not how many man hours jobs generally take. Is there somewhere to get a general idea how for man hours a job should take?

Thanks.

starry night
07-31-2009, 04:55 PM
I know it doesn't help now but tracking your own crew(s) is the best way to find how long various tasks will take.

lady jane
07-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Another smart person has told me that too. I am just getting started and this will be my first new job since I took the position.
Thanks.

STIHL GUY
07-31-2009, 11:21 PM
after doing a couple jobs you will be able to figure it out pretty accurately

White Gardens
08-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Once upon a time, there was somebody that posted the title to a book that gave estimates on labor for varying landscaping services.

It was similar to a labor estimate book you see mechanics use to estimate labor on repair jobs.

I'd like to find that book, so if anyone runs across it, let me know.

It can take me any where from 30 minutes to 90 minutes to unload a yard of mulch, depending on conditions.

beegreenlandcare
08-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't know, but I've always heard it should take about 1 man hr. per yard of mulch to spread. We've laways beat that, but I have amore efficient system than most.

Ben's Landscape
08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
A old landscaper told me once that you should be able to spread a yard an hour. That is how i price a job. It may take you an hour and 15 minutes but it is a good starting point. Good luck

White Gardens
08-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't know, but I've always heard it should take about 1 man hr. per yard of mulch to spread. We've laways beat that, but I have amore efficient system than most.

1 man hour is about average.

If I can just dump a wheelbarrow and spread it with a rake, after I've pushed the barrow 20 feet, then I can bust out a yard in 20 minutes.

Sometimes I run into one of those jobs that is a full blown perennial beds and I need to be surgical about mulch placement. That can be tedious.

lady jane
08-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the help. So if I am reading this correct, I should bid one man hour for each yard of mulch? Do you bid less time if you are doing maybe 20 yards at one time?:confused:

White Gardens
08-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the help. So if I am reading this correct, I should bid one man hour for each yard of mulch? Do you bid less time if you are doing maybe 20 yards at one time?:confused:

Depends, what other variables are involved. Is there a hill, can they use a machine to move that mulch, can you buy or use a mulch blower to make it easier, etc.....

General rule of thumb though: + or - 1 hr.

Another thing to consider, some companies charge a flat rate for mulch. That can be anywhere from 50 a yard up to 120, depending on mulch cost, type of mulch and general economic conditions, such as the local going rate.