PDA

View Full Version : Important momentum question

DiamondCut09
07-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Sorry guys, pretty new to this. Just joined the forum. Anyway, just picked up a used permagreen ride-on centri. Guy i bought it from said he was running 4 oz. momentum per gallon of water. Machine has an 8 gallon tank and he said it does 32,000 sq. ft in 8 gallons. I just thought 4 oz of momentum sounded a bit high. I understand that the amount has to be more because it covers more area and that the water is just a carrier however, just wanted to double check. Thanks again guys appreciate the help.:confused:

turf hokie
07-31-2009, 08:31 PM
That would make the rate for the momentum 1.25 oz per 1000. I dont know if that is what the lable says, I am too tired to look it up.

But he is giving you the stock coverage of 32,000 your machine may be different. I have 3 ultras and they range from 28,000 to 30,000 but I have never gotten the 32,000 that perma green says you do.

Just double check the coverage the machine will actually do, other than that the numbers dont sound out of line.

You may want to run a sticker along with the broadleaf, LI7000 or Hawkeye to improve weed control We have noticed a significant difference b/t the PG and the Z spray as far as control of certain weeds. DO NOT use the Lesco non-ionic spreader sticker as that will gum up your nozzles real fast and you will burn out your pump.

RigglePLC
07-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Don't listen to the previous owner. Do your own test to make sure one gallon covers 4000 sqft. If so, 4 ounces per gallon sounds about right.

DiamondCut09
08-01-2009, 11:16 PM
sounds good, is there anyone who can instruct me briefly how to exactly calculate/calibrate the machine so i know what I am getting. Thanks again

turf hokie
08-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Just measure off an area, easier in a parking lot, put water in the tank in a known amount and start testing how much area that water will cover.

JWTurfguy
08-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Anytime you're calculatiing rates on a permagreen, the numbers can tend to come out a little strange, especially if you're used to using backpacks. You have to learn to think in terms of coverage per thousand square feet, and not how many ounces per gallon. So, if your tank is designed to cover 32,000 sq ft, and the label says 1 oz per thousand (not sure what Momentum's rate is, but just for the sake of easy math...), you need 32 ounces of chemical in the tank. If it's an 8-gal tank, then obviously that means 4 oz per gal.

RigglePLC
08-02-2009, 03:22 PM
JW is right. Fill with water to exactly 8 gal. Spray until it reads 7 gallons. Measure the sqft covered. Say 5000. If the rate is one ounce per thousand you need 5 ounces per gallon. It never comes out even of course, so if the sqft covered is 4.5 thousand per gallon, the 8 gallon tank covers 36 thousand sqft. Use 36 ounces. Make a "Fill Chart" for each gallonage and glue it to the side of the hopper for easy reference. Repeat to be sure you are accurate. Let us know how it comes out. Be sure to test spray an area that has several turns so your swath width will be typical. Best to do it on grass as this slows the machine slightly. Keep the same gear and rpm, of course.

Runner
08-02-2009, 09:02 PM
My Ultra does 32 per 8 gallon tank. The company says 34 tank, but it is less. 32 is what mine is calibrated at. 4000 sq. ft. per gal. is right on for mine.

DiamondCut09
08-02-2009, 10:09 PM
So let me just ask one more question here. I am going to calibrate my machine tomorrow. So i am going to fill it in a parking lot up to the 8 gallon line, and spray a straight line until it reads 7 gallons in the tank approx..i understand what you mean when you say its hard to get exactly. Now would i than measure the distance of "x" amount of feet long by the width of the spray which i am guessing is something like 48-60 inches?? keep in mind i have the ride-on centro the black hopper one.
Or do 2 or 3 passes straight lines so i am not measuring a far distance? thanks guys! this site is awesome!:walking:

RigglePLC
08-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Clean nozzle filters. Adjust nozzle angle and direction. It is best to do at least 3 passes, to assure you have a constant swath width. Decide if you need to overlap. It should spray more than 48 to 60 inches. It may spray 3 feet on either side of the machine, potentially 108 inches.

It will probably go slower on grass than pavement. Check this. Tall wet grass=slower yet. (Slower means you will apply more per 1000 sqft).

DiamondCut09
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
sounds like a plan..one more thing. what kind of adjustment is there on the sprayers. the flat head screw? what kind of adjustment am i trying to make here.

RigglePLC
08-03-2009, 08:07 PM
You can angle the nozzles slightly up or down. You can move the aim right or left. Is that what you mean?

DiamondCut09
08-04-2009, 11:09 AM
yes, just wondering what is the right position for the nozzles to be at. And cleaning the filters? where are the filters located.

LawnoftheMonth
08-04-2009, 12:09 PM
great info in this thread.

DiamondCut09
08-04-2009, 07:27 PM
agreed...a lot of very helpful people and information here..Anyway, i have a permagreen ride on centro the older black one not the green one. when i purchased it used it came with a honda 5hp engine on it instead of the subaro robbins engine from the factory. So now i am in a bad situation due to what was changed because permagreen said they never sold a pe:walking:rmagreen with a honda engine on it. Anyway, just trying to see what usually breaks so i can order some spare parts on hand. thanks again guys!

turf hokie
08-04-2009, 07:39 PM
yes, just wondering what is the right position for the nozzles to be at. And cleaning the filters? where are the filters located.

Untwist(is that a word?) the white portion of the nozzle body from the black section, This will come off with the metal nozzle and rubber washer, now look in the black portion of the nozzle body, the part still on the machine, you will see a filter (red plastic with screen) take this out and clean it; run the pump without the filter in to make sure that there is no gunk left in the body.

Also check your main filter in the tank, somethimes this gets gummed up as well.

As far as position, I try to get mine to overlap 50% in the middle of the machine while trying to acheive a 90 degree angle or parallel to the tires.

Adjusting the nozzles (turning them up and down) will give you a wider or shorter spray width. Here I try to have them pointed slightly upward as to create bit of an arc, I seem to get a quality overlap this way on my passes.

These types of adjustments are more trial and error to get your overlaps the right way.

DiamondCut09
08-05-2009, 07:21 PM
awesome response and a lot of great help. thanks for all of the help guys. Last question (sorry guys) with the ride on centri how do you distinguish the numbers 1-9 on the dial for spreading to the lesco spreader 1-26 i believe? i am using a lesco product. guy who i bought it from said he usually spreads around 4.5 on the permagreen. Thanks!!

turf hokie
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
There really is no conversion. I have an ultra with that knob on it. You're going to have to go to lesco to get one of the calibration keys. That will measure up the holes in the hopper to give you a starting point for your actual calibration. The calibration key will get you pretty close to what you end up with.

DiamondCut09
08-05-2009, 07:53 PM
i have the keys that my lesco push spreader came with. Only problem is the push spreader had the holes to measure. the permagreen has 1 big hole with a slide that opens and closes it.

turf hokie
08-05-2009, 07:55 PM
i have the keys that my lesco push spreader came with. Only problem is the push spreader had the holes to measure. the permagreen has 1 big hole with a slide that opens and closes it.

Crap, I forgot the centri had the single hole.

Sorry, maybe someone else can chime in on where to start.

RigglePLC
08-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Diamond, Now measure your coverage in one minute. Say you go 350 feet and you plan to spread 10 feet wide measured center to center. So you are covering 3500 sqft per minute. Suppose the 50 pound bag of fertilizer covers 12,500 sqft. (That would be 4 pounds per 1000 sqft). 12,500 divided by 3500 results in 3.57 minutes per bag. Convert the .57 to seconds (34.2). You should run out of a 50 pound bag of fertilizer in 3 minutes and 34 seconds.

Maybe another Centri user can help. Use that 4.5 figure as a first guess. Use a watch or timer. Try it --adjust the flow and try again. You need a big yard of course.

Naturally, you can weigh out 8 pound batches--adjusting the minutes and seconds accordingly. (34sec). The last half pound will not come out--you many have to stop as soon as the agitator becomes visible.

If you can get it consistently within 10 percent of ideal--you are probably way more accurate than the big companies.

Let us know how you come out--OK?

DiamondCut09
08-05-2009, 09:04 PM
awesome! a lot to take in for a new-b but i will see what happens. Thanks again for all of the help on here!