PDA

View Full Version : how many inches?

David Gretzmier
08-01-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't know if you guys have ever measured this before, as I just eyeball it, but I was behind a large holly bush today and I was curious. So I took out my tape measure and measured exactly how long it is from the house to the edge of an mr-16 uplight using a 60 degree 20 watt bulb. I know I adjust this as the beam narrows and the house gets taller. but overall I was curious what you guys think is the perfect distance to get the perfect wash on an 8-10 foot tall soffit using this bulb. I measured 14 inches, and I checked and I was within 1/2 inch on all the other lights just eyballing it. anyone else?

Lite4
08-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I am probably in that range also.

Pro-Scapes
08-01-2009, 10:27 AM
12 to 24 inches depending on the avalble mounting locations and desired effect. Sometimes landscapers plant things so close to the house here we either need to get a few approvals to move some plants or just live with it and select a different fixture.

jshimmin
08-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Dependent on the plant material I like to stay in the 10-12" range as well. But if there is a fascia board worth hitting as well, you may have to back it off a little or use multiple fixtures for the area.

If you follow Uniques LITE program though, things change based on the overhang distance.

"Spot / Flood
Spot and Flood Lights (Up Lights) shall have a shielded housing with a hex louver installed. Fixture is to be placed so that the aiming of the lamp does not exceed 45° to the horizon. The fixtures should be placed as such that they do not produce wasteful illumination beyond the target plant or structure. The only time a spot light shall point directly up towards the sky is when it is positioned beneath a light blocking overhang or tree canopy."

A minimal over hang and a 45 degree pointing makes for a hot spot. I just did a hotel entrance that holds a quarterly dark sky meeting. It made for a few changes in the install but it ended up looking fine.

Pro-Scapes
08-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I have some in the 6 inch range due to plants being planted way to close to the foundation. If you do it right it can still look fine but at that close of a distance your going to be straight up no matter what you pick for a fixture and lamp.

David Gretzmier
08-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I know I am closer when those pesky bushes that looked great 8 years ago now touch the house. even when trimmed back 8 inches off the house, it still looks like they are on fire when the home is lit.

Pro-Scapes
08-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I know I am closer when those pesky bushes that looked great 8 years ago now touch the house. even when trimmed back 8 inches off the house, it still looks like they are on fire when the home is lit.

Tilt your fixture back a bit more in that scenario and or try lenses. Instead of a bullet with a 20w 60 lamp try a wash with a bi pin type... i like the mr lamps better too but sometimes it just doesnt work out right.

David Gretzmier
08-03-2009, 11:37 PM
man, when I switch from a 20watt 60 degree to a 20 watt bi-pin, it looks like a 5 watt bulb. I only use that on really low light wash situations. to uplight a house, I really need a reflector.

Pro-Scapes
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
man, when I switch from a 20watt 60 degree to a 20 watt bi-pin, it looks like a 5 watt bulb. I only use that on really low light wash situations. to uplight a house, I really need a reflector.

Are you putting 20w bi pins into a bullet ? Most of the wash lights I use come with a reflector and i remove it if low light is needed.

I have had situations on light colored houses with white soffits where a 10w bi pin with reflector was a tad on the bright side.