PDA

View Full Version : Best Trailer or Truck Set up for Z Spray

Maple Wood
08-01-2009, 11:50 AM
I've got a new Z spray max and am new to commercial application. Just took the test yesterday:dizzy: I do have twelve years in no till farming and used a number of sprayers. The last sprayer I owned was a spray coupe 4440. I used a semi and trailer with tanks, mix tanks, shuttles of product ect. I found that the trailer set up was as important to efficiency as the sprayer itself.

What are some ideas to set up for efficient spraying and fertilizing with the z spray?

Work smarter not harder!!!!

Heidi J.
08-01-2009, 12:07 PM
We have one on a trailer for our pick-up, and we have one mounted in the back of this truck. Both have fill tanks in the back.

I will have to take some more pics and give you a better idea.. Congrats on your purchase:waving:

Josh.S
08-01-2009, 12:18 PM
We have one on a trailer for our pick-up, and we have one mounted in the back of this truck. Both have fill tanks in the back.

I will have to take some more pics and give you a better idea.. Congrats on your purchase:waving:

Could you post a picture of two of your ramps or how you load/unload?

Heidi J.
08-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Could you post a picture of two of your ramps or how you load/unload?

Sure.. Won't be till Monday or so. The Isuzu's are a killer set up, 300 gallon water tank, 1 pallet of fert and a Z in the back! We had the ramp fabricated to our needs, but it nice.

rcreech
08-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Here is what I use.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262700&highlight=my+new+ride

If you go through it you will see the pics of the outside and then on page 10 you will see the inside finished.

Can't think of a better way myself!

I also farm and totally agree that an effecient tender is just as important as the sprayer!

Heidi J.
08-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Here is what I use.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262700&highlight=my+new+ride

If you go through it you will see the pics of the outside and then on page 10 you will see the inside finished.

Can't think of a better way myself!

I also farm and totally agree that an effecient tender is just as important as the sprayer!

Very nice!! Mine is a little different.

Josh.S
08-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Hey Rod, is that couple gallon jug near the back left side of your truck for washing hands or something?

rcreech
08-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey Rod, is that couple gallon jug near the back left side of your truck for washing hands or something?

Yep!

It is a 2.5 gallon water tank. I wanted a way to wash my hands once the ramp was up and right before you get in the truck.

We ran the hose through the floor to a valve and created a little wash station. If you look in post 96 you can see how it works.

That is one of the things I am most proud of on the truck and I think that tank was only like $30 or so! :)

The hose I use to fill the machine is long enough that it can be refilled easily from the 275 gallon water tank throughout the day.

Greg Amann
08-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Our trailer setup is very basic. We had Really Innovations put us a rig together that works great for our setup.
Here are a couple of pics.
This is the truck
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/GregA7215/pest%20control/DSC_0015.jpg

This is a rear view
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/GregA7215/pest%20control/DSC_0019.jpg

Here is a pic with the trailer and the ZTR Ranger that we use.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/GregA7215/pest%20control/IMG_1079_3.jpg

The truck carries 200 gallons of bulk liquid fertilizer and a 600 gallon water supply tank. The water tank is gravity feed with a bilge to use if you are in a hurry. It can fill from either the driver or passenger side at rear bumper. It will fill the 65 gallon tank on the rig in about 5 minutes.
Plenty of storage for dry fertilizer tools etc.

turf hokie
08-01-2009, 08:48 PM
We run a set-up similar to Creech. If you scroll thru the thread he linked you will see pics of the new ride we got. It is not completely set-up yet. We just got it back from having it Rhino-lined. I will post pics shortly over there. It is going to have the ramp fabricated and mounted on the 13th. But I am interested in how Heidi has their truck set-up. I think I have mine figured out but would like to see a different idea.

We are setting up the new truck with the welded mesh ramp you can get online. But we are going to extend the ramp to the width of the rear door. This way we can leave the roll door up all day and the ramp will take the place of the door. Making just one less thing to do at each stop. The extension hopefully will be able to be non-permanent attached to the original ramp so that only a 4' section will have to be lifted.

We will put the pistons like Creech, but I am going to try to implement Treegals suggestion with the hinge to swing the ramp to the side to load a pallet or addtional water tank if we need to in the back.

Josh.S
08-01-2009, 09:15 PM
We run a set-up similar to Creech. If you scroll thru the thread he linked you will see pics of the new ride we got. It is not completely set-up yet. We just got it back from having it Rhino-lined. I will post pics shortly over there. It is going to have the ramp fabricated and mounted on the 13th. But I am interested in how Heidi has their truck set-up. I think I have mine figured out but would like to see a different idea.

We are setting up the new truck with the welded mesh ramp you can get online. But we are going to extend the ramp to the width of the rear door. This way we can leave the roll door up all day and the ramp will take the place of the door. Making just one less thing to do at each stop. The extension hopefully will be able to be non-permanent attached to the original ramp so that only a 4' section will have to be lifted.

We will put the pistons like Creech, but I am going to try to implement Treegals suggestion with the hinge to swing the ramp to the side to load a pallet or addtional water tank if we need to in the back.

I am planning on building a setup similar to creech but I want to try to build something where you will be able to hit a button and the ramp will come down. Either using hydraulics or some sort of winch. I just think it would save a lot of time (especially when doing lots of small yards). Also i would like a way to load pallets of fertilizer into the truck.

Here is some ideas from the super lawn truck website. Their lift door looks okay but is just too slow for me, I need something faster.

Here is a picture of a pallet door:
http://www.superlawntrucks.com/images/client-photos/corolla%20lands%20side%20door%20open-large.jpg

Another style:
http://www.superlawntrucks.com/images/client-photos/danyels_turf-large-large.jpg

A handy side door:
http://www.superlawntrucks.com/images/client-photos/mvc-004s-large.jpg

Ramp system up:
http://www.superlawntrucks.com/images/client-photos/sunflower1-large.jpg

Good picture of the ramp system folded down:
http://www.superlawntrucks.com/images/client-photos/buddy_truck-large-large.jpg

Here idea for the actual truck itself is this. If you don't have a cab over truck then you can put an access door straight from the cab to the box. That might save some time. I have seen that the Frito Lay trucks, like in the picture, have a cab-to-box access door.
http://www.automotive-fleet.com/fc_images/articles/Firto-lay-2-W.jpg

turf hokie
08-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Josh,

I bought the truck used off the lot,so I took what it had. But...

I have side door that will just squeeze a pallet thru. Will be handy if we cant manage the hinge. It is already a convenience for loading water, and the push spreader is easy to get out of the side door as well. Yea, I actually still push a few:waving:

Also, I covered up the door from the cab to the box and then had it rhino lined over. This was a three fold reason.
1. was to prevent the driver from smelling and being exposed to the chemicals/odors all day long
2. to prevent any water spills from running into the cab of the truck. We created a bath tub so that if any water does spill or overflow it is contained and directed where I want it. It happens more than you think when you are filling a 200 gal tank and dont pay attention.
3. it is a wood floor and my older box truck that I have ahd for 5 years is really showing the corrosion from the fertilizers, the walls are seperating from the floor and the all the metal is really rotting out, I figure at this point I might get 2 more seasons out of it before I have to do some major work to it. But it has 225k miles so it may just see the scrap yard at that point. I bought it with 110k......

But that would only be 7 years of production out of the truck before the frame and body was to corroded to continuing working. So I rhino-lined the new one since I want at last 7-10 years out of it at a minimum.

I will get pix of the Rhino lining up on the other thread ASAP and update as the truck is worked on. I just put in my tree rig so at least it is working while I wait for the ramps to come in. 2-200 gallon tanks, gonna do my mosquito sprays out of it next week.

rcreech
08-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Heidi and Turf Hokie,

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR SET UP! Trucks pump me up! I think it is one of the best setups personally!

I love this site. We can all learn from each other and get new ideas!

I REALLY wish sometimes that I had a walk through door and a door to slide a pallet in. That is the only thing I would even think about changing at this time.

Josh,

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I would love the thought of having a hydraulic ramp! That would be sweet!

Josh.S
08-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Josh,

I bought the truck used off the lot,so I took what it had. But...

I have side door that will just squeeze a pallet thru. Will be handy if we cant manage the hinge. It is already a convenience for loading water, and the push spreader is easy to get out of the side door as well. Yea, I actually still push a few:waving:

Also, I covered up the door from the cab to the box and then had it rhino lined over. This was a three fold reason.
1. was to prevent the driver from smelling and being exposed to the chemicals/odors all day long
2. to prevent any water spills from running into the cab of the truck. We created a bath tub so that if any water does spill or overflow it is contained and directed where I want it. It happens more than you think when you are filling a 200 gal tank and dont pay attention.
3. it is a wood floor and my older box truck that I have ahd for 5 years is really showing the corrosion from the fertilizers, the walls are seperating from the floor and the all the metal is really rotting out, I figure at this point I might get 2 more seasons out of it before I have to do some major work to it. But it has 225k miles so it may just see the scrap yard at that point. I bought it with 110k.....

Those are some pretty valid draw backs about the door. I am more worried about having the cab filled with product fumes than anything else. I'm not sure if this should be a concern or not.

7 years is a long time to get out of a fertilizer truck. I figure the depreciation cost is not to bad for building a custom rig, if you buy the truck used you could easily set up a nice rig for under $25,000 total. If it lasts for 7 years that is less than $3,000 per year. Not even 3% of the revenue you could generate with it.

Can't wait to see your setup.

I REALLY wish sometimes that I had a walk through door and a door to slide a pallet in. That is the only thing I would even think about changing at this time.

Josh,

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I would love the thought of having a hydraulic ramp! That would be sweet!

Rodney,

Part of the reason I really like the hydraulic door idea is because the truck is completely sealed and secured by the ramp. If there was only a way to make it quicker and/or have a one touch system, that would be perfect.

I really like the idea of being able to slide a pallet in the front side like on the very first picture I posted, I can see some huge advantages to that.

The thing I don't like though is if you have the pallet door on the side, and no walking doors, you have to use the hydraulics to get even something small out of the truck. This may mean even starting up and moving the truck to have room to put the ramp down. I could see that becoming a huge PIA. Maybe the best system would be to have the pallet door on driver side and a walk into door on passenger side (curb side) if there was a hydraulic ramp on the truck.

Do you have any idea how the weed pro box trucks are setup?

Btw, I can't wait to pick up my zspray thursday.. :weightlifter:

rcreech
08-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Do you have any idea how the weed pro box trucks are setup?

Btw, I can't wait to pick up my zspray thursday.. :weightlifter:

I seen it when they were building it and it looked awesome, but I haven't seen the finished product. I have Ron's e-mail and I will try and get some finished pics. They are awesome guys!!!!!

I can assure you that you made the right decision on the Z. Mark my words that you will have 2 in a year from now if you continue to grow as you have.

$25k in a truck sound VERY HIGH to me!

You can buy a good used truck for under 10k and shouldn't have no more then 15k in it when it hits the road.

Josh.S
08-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I seen it when they were building it and it looked awesome, but I haven't seen the finished product. I have Ron's e-mail and I will try and get some finished pics. They are awesome guys!!!!!

I can assure you that you made the right decision on the Z. Mark my words that you will have 2 in a year from now if you continue to grow as you have.

$25k in a truck sound VERY HIGH to me!

You can buy a good used truck for under 10k and shouldn't have no more then 15k in it when it hits the road.

I meant $25 for the whole setup, including zspray, nurse tank, plumbing.

Let me know what you find out about the Weed Pro truck. I have one of those guys phone numbers.

Also, do you have an old crate tank or anything laying around I could buy from you and use for a nurse tank for now?

Heidi J.
08-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Heidi and Turf Hokie,

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR SET UP! Trucks pump me up! I think it is one of the best setups personally!

I love this site. We can all learn from each other and get new ideas!

Josh,

Rodney,

I love this site too! My hubby makes fun of me.. says I am addicted to lawn care:cool2: The thing is, I have been doing this for almost 20 years.. and I learn something new every day.. whether it be in marketing the company, pests or weeds. It is a challenge and I never pass up a new challenge.:laugh:

My guys are going to be laughing at me getting all these pictures tomorrow. But I want to get some anyways, I have a professional photog coming to take some of my lawns as well, for a fall mailer I want to do.

I love the truck wrap as well.. a moving billboard!! This new truck makes my other Isuzu look naked as heck!! That will be a project for Spring!

Heidi J.
08-02-2009, 11:12 AM

Let me know what you find out about the Weed Pro truck. I have one of those guys phone numbers.

Also, do you have an old crate tank or anything laying around I could buy from you and use for a nurse tank for now?

Whew.. I thought that price was really high too..:laugh: thanks for clarifying! I have also seen a few tanks on Craigslist. Check it out in your area.

rcreech
08-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Rodney,

I love this site too! My hubby makes fun of me.. says I am addicted to lawn care:cool2: The thing is, I have been doing this for almost 20 years.. and I learn something new every day.. whether it be in marketing the company, pests or weeds. It is a challenge and I never pass up a new challenge.:laugh:

My guys are going to be laughing at me getting all these pictures tomorrow. But I want to get some anyways, I have a professional photog coming to take some of my lawns as well, for a fall mailer I want to do.

I love the truck wrap as well.. a moving billboard!! This new truck makes my other Isuzu look naked as heck!! That will be a project for Spring!

The wrap is BIG!

I spent less on my wrap then a post card campaign...and the post cards would all be in the trash right now and my wrap will be on my truck for several years!

turf hokie
08-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Whew.. I thought that price was really high too..:laugh: thanks for clarifying! I have also seen a few tanks on Craigslist. Check it out in your area.

I wont tell you what I will have into mine by the time it is 100% ready. But this truck will be used year round, it will go from lawns to christmas lights at the end of October and keep working until February. Then it will get cleaned and prepped for the spring season and start again in March. So I feel the money I am putting into it is justified.

Mow, look around, if you were closer I would give you one of my 275 gallon tote tanks. I am tired of looking at it. I can go an 1 hour north into more farm country and get them left and right for $50 if you know where to look. I would imagine where you are the same would hold true. Good luck.

rcreech
08-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Sure do!

$20 will get you a 250 gallon skid tank with crate1

Maple Wood
08-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the replies so far! Looks like trucks are the most popular. I was trying to decide between a trailer and a truck. The truck definitely makes it look like you are in the big leagues.
What kind of mileage to you expect from those trucks?

Does anyone have a system for the dry fert or do you just move bags?
I was thinking about a bulk hopper that you could fill from. If you look at bulk seed handling it gives you some ideas. I wonder if you could use a bulk seed bin for fert?

rcreech
08-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the replies so far! Looks like trucks are the most popular. I was trying to decide between a trailer and a truck. The truck definitely makes it look like you are in the big leagues.
What kind of mileage to you expect from those trucks?

Does anyone have a system for the dry fert or do you just move bags?
I was thinking about a bulk hopper that you could fill from. If you look at bulk seed handling it gives you some ideas. I wonder if you could use a bulk seed bin for fert?

The milage on my box truck is slightly better then my pickup...and I am carrying a ton more fert and an additional 170 gallon of water! :weightlifter:

Box truck is a no brainer once you run one!

brizine
08-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Her is my truck that I purchased this spring. I have to make a few small changes and wrap it. The back will fit a 42 inch wide ride-on as it sits, I am going to extend to fit my z-max. It has 650 gal. capacity split 300/200/100/50 and a small hand wash station. It is all fiberglass, even the bed so no rust. It will hold 40 bags of fert in dry storage and still have room on the rear end for more. It also hsa two 5ftx18in.x18in. aluminum underbody boxes for storage. It's mileage is 7-9 mpg gas. My 2500hd 12-14 diesel. Overall I will save money by not haveing to refill the small truck on heavy days. More lawns per day= more $$$! It is also only 2ft. longer than my 2500hd with peramgreen magnum on the back, so it is very agile.

rcreech
08-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Her is my truck that I purchased this spring. I have to make a few small changes and wrap it. The back will fit a 42 inch wide ride-on as it sits, I am going to extend to fit my z-max. It has 650 gal. capacity split 300/200/100/50 and a small hand wash station. It is all fiberglass, even the bed so no rust. It will hold 40 bags of fert in dry storage and still have room on the rear end for more. It also hsa two 5ftx18in.x18in. aluminum underbody boxes for storage. It's mileage is 7-9 mpg gas. My 2500hd 12-14 diesel. Overall I will save money by not haveing to refill the small truck on heavy days. More lawns per day= more $$$! It is also only 2ft. longer than my 2500hd with peramgreen magnum on the back, so it is very agile.

I am so sorry...but I had to touch myself while looking at the pics of your truck! :o

VERY NICE!!!!!!!

That is a production truck and that is all there is too it!!!!

Josh.S
08-04-2009, 01:46 AM

That truck is awesome man!

Couple Q's... do you have anywhere to put a push spreader (small yards w/ gates)? Who made the bed?

brizine
08-04-2009, 09:25 AM
The push spreader will fit on the rear with the z-max. There is also a hitch in the front bumper if you wanted to mount one up front.

brizine
08-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Tuflex built the truck new.

Maple Wood
08-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Very Nice truck Brizine. Looks like you make serious $ with that rig!

Maple Wood
08-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Would a lift gate work vs a ramp. I have never run a lift gate

Josh.S
08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Would a lift gate work vs a ramp. I have never run a lift gate

It would work great but it would be too slow for me.. It all depends on how many lawns you do in a day. If you do 10 multi-acre lawns in a day then a lift gate might be great since you load/unload only 10 times. A lot of days I will do 25-35 lawns so it would not be ideal for me.

Maple Wood
08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
It would work great but it would be too slow for me.. It all depends on how many lawns you do in a day. If you do 10 multi-acre lawns in a day then a lift gate might be great since you load/unload only 10 times. A lot of days I will do 25-35 lawns so it would not be ideal for me.

I wonder if a modified lift gate would be the way to go. Make it so that it could function as a carrier rack as well as lift gate.

sprayboy
08-05-2009, 09:50 PM
brizine,

That is one nice truck and set up.

Heidi J.
08-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Pictures I promised:

Maple Wood
08-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the pics Heidi J. :)

turf hokie
08-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Ditto^^^^^

I will have mine up in about 2 weeks, scheduled for the 13th to go to the welder. Should take a few days for him to get it the way I want it.

turfman07
08-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Here is a picture of our Z-Spray carrier. I will try to get some better pictures soon.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/cadillacgrill/work/zspraycarrier.jpg[/IMG]