PDA

View Full Version : Ride On Spreader / Sprayers

Lawn Authority
08-01-2009, 11:43 AM
What are the pros and cons of all the ride on spreaders on the market today. I want a quality machine that we can depend on. How much time does it save you?
What brand to buy? Where? Cost?

Any Dos and Don'ts?

We service about 500 homes.

ZSpray Info
08-03-2009, 09:46 AM
What are the pros and cons of all the ride on spreaders on the market today. I want a quality machine that we can depend on. How much time does it save you?
What brand to buy? Where? Cost?

Any Dos and Don'ts?

We service about 500 homes.

Give Andy a call toll free @ 877-482-2040. He can give you pricing and the run down on our machines Z-Sprays). We are very low pressure.

brizine
08-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Give z-spray a call, you won't be dissapointed.

a plus bob
08-03-2009, 03:32 PM
I can spray and spread a football field in 20 min. used to hand spray in 1 hour and half.I have a Z-SPRAY intermediate with the aux. tank.Most of the guys on here with ride on's use Z-SPRAYS and wouldn't trade for any thing else!

Pros - No sore back,and feet. double your production,Better weed control.I can hand spray then go do another 150,000 on the Z

Cons - you didnt buy one years ago :)

Josh.S
08-03-2009, 05:12 PM
+1 for Zspray. Call Andy, he won't pressure you or anything.

turfcobob
08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
You can give me a call and I can bring you up to speed on the Turfco T3000 ride on applicator. It does hills, goes thru gates and drives like a car with cruise control. Will do wet and dry at the same time up to 4000 sq ft per minute in wide mode and you can narrow it down for small lawns. A carrier will let you put it right on the back of a pickup without a trailer.

Turfcobob
402-783-2028 cell 402-432-2446

Or
you can contact Larry at American Lawn, Iowa
americanlawn@msn.com
or
Matt at Jonny Nichols Lawncare in Delaware
matt@jonnynichols.com

americanlawn
08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
ONE of our T3000's .... first stop today was a Bridgestone/Firestone plant (320,000 s/f)....next stop was a 3000 s/f residential lawn close by. Then this T3000 went on after that to treat acreages & other residential lawns before day's end.

We safely transport our T3000's on a carrier rack with our (very nice) Chevy 2500HD pickup trucks.

We entertained the idea of using "other" ride-ons during the past 5 years, but "the one that fits our needs" = T3000. Others spray the same width, yet they require a large truck or a trailer. I offered this "option" to my employees (hauling a trailer or driving large trucks), but NONE of my guys wanted any of this whatsoever. :hammerhead: And I do not blame them.

We all know Z's are quality units, but we just don't want the hassles and the liabilities that go along with them -- . Special licensing, insurance on trailer, spray bar that gets in the way,etc, plus unsafe on hills. also consider units that are prone to breakdowns. :cry: No prob with our T3000's. In fact, one of our T3000's was the first official "production model" ever sold. It still runs everyday - no breakdowns either. :usflag::usflag:

turf hokie
08-03-2009, 08:17 PM
ONE of our T3000's .... first stop today was a Bridgestone/Firestone plant (320,000 s/f)....next stop was a 3000 s/f residential lawn close by. Then this T3000 went on after that to treat acreages & other residential lawns before day's end.

We safely transport our T3000's on a carrier rack with our (very nice) Chevy 2500HD pickup trucks.

We entertained the idea of using "other" ride-ons during the past 5 years, but "the one that fits our needs" = T3000. Others spray the same width, yet they require a large truck or a trailer. I offered this "option" to my employees (hauling a trailer or driving large trucks), but NONE of my guys wanted any of this whatsoever. :hammerhead: And I do not blame them.

We all know Z's are quality units, but we just don't want the hassles and the liabilities that go along with them -- . Special licensing, insurance on trailer, spray bar that gets in the way,etc, plus unsafe on hills. also consider units that are prone to breakdowns. :cry: No prob with our T3000's. In fact, one of our T3000's was the first official "production model" ever sold. It still runs everyday - no breakdowns either. :usflag::usflag:

Larry, I am going to comment on some of your comments.

I just put one of my guys in a box truck and he loves it. Enclosed, out of the rain, no chance of a machine coming off of a carry rack. NO SPECIAL LICENSE other than a pesticide license:hammerhead: he can carry a full pallet, 200 gallons of water and the machine with no problems.

He could not wait to get out of the F350 (new guy gets that now)

My z-max does not break down unless I do something dumb. I will put it places the PG does not go without locking casters. Spray bar does not get in the way, matter of fact I rather like the air induction tips as I can get right up to bed edges and can easily see where the spray is going. It is just a matter of understanding the machine. Sensai says become one with the z and you will be happy:cool2:

I am considering the T-3000 to replace my PG's but it will never replace my z and it will not go on a rack but in the back of a box truck or as I like to say a moving warehouse and a moving billboard.

EVM
08-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Z Spray is a really nice machine. The boom bar is a really nice tool once you get used to using the machine. I thought I would be using the foot switch for the boom but now I just steer the unit with one hand and operate the switch with the other.

Grandview
08-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Biggest advantage to the Z is adjustable ground spreed and spread width. You can spread 18 feet or 7 feet. You can go 4 mph to 6.5 (or whatever) with 10 second adjustments.

rcreech
08-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Biggest advantage to the Z is adjustable ground spreed and spread width. You can spread 18 feet or 7 feet. You can go 4 mph to 6.5 (or whatever) with 10 second adjustments.

During round 1...I was going through 5 bags of Pre to my Dad's 3 with the PG.

The Z is unbeatable all around...but on dry apps it RUNS away!

There is no debating that! I was going 20 ft wide at 5 mph...and now that I have logged some hours...I will probably be going closer to 5.5-6 mph.

GET R DONE!!!!!

Grandview
08-04-2009, 08:16 AM
During round 1...I was going through 5 bags of Pre to my Dad's 3 with the PG.

The Z is unbeatable all around...but on dry apps it RUNS away!

There is no debating that! I was going 20 ft wide at 5 mph...and now that I have logged some hours...I will probably be going closer to 5.5-6 mph.

GET R DONE!!!!!

For fathers day you need to get your Dad a Z.

Lawn Authority
08-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I talked to a guy who has the Permagreen and he liked it but said the spray pattern is not as wide as the spread pattern. Not sure how that would work if you have to blanket spray a weedy lawn while fertilizing. Not sure how true that is but I'm looking for a 1 pass machine.

rcreech
08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I talked to a guy who has the Permagreen and he liked it but said the spray pattern is not as wide as the spread pattern. Not sure how that would work if you have to blanket spray a weedy lawn while fertilizing. Not sure how true that is but I'm looking for a 1 pass machine.

The spray pattern isn't suposed to be as wide as the spread.

Your spread pattern needs to be wider so you can overlap your fert to eliminate streaks.

If you look at the pattern of any ride on it will be the same. You HAVE to overlap to get a good consistent spread if you understand how a spreader works... 100% out front and tails off to the sides so overlapping is needed.

turfcobob
08-04-2009, 02:53 PM

How do you maintain precision? Do you adjust the gate opening on the hopper each time you change spread width? Are there pre-set positions on the gate or do you just guess? Wondering

rcreech
08-04-2009, 03:14 PM
How do you maintain precision? Do you adjust the gate opening on the hopper each time you change spread width? Are there pre-set positions on the gate or do you just guess? Wondering

Bob,

Not trying to make this too simple...but CALIBRATION!

If you have two or three spread widths at two or three speeds....that is all it takes!

I personally don't change in the middle of a lawn. If I am doing big lawns I will run one setup and if I am on a small res I may switch back.

You can't believe how much product you can go through spreading 20 ft at 5+ mph (especially when the unit will hold 4-5 bags).

Grandview
08-04-2009, 03:43 PM

I have two to three setups that I use. I also keep detailed records on my larger jobs. I record settings and fertilizer used. My main two are 5.5 mph and 10 foot spacings and 6.2 mph and 15 foot spacings. I have gone 18 wide also.
There are pre set gate openings, it is a dial adjustment. It is a Spyker 220 spreader.

americanlawn
08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
All of our T3000 operators know that Z-Spray units are capable of spreading farther, but the Z "spray" pattern is no wider than our T's (which we safely transport on carrier racks w/pickup trucks :laugh:). So for doing "weed & feed", running T3000 units was a no brainer for us >>> we got the money to buy whatever works, but the T3000's offer way many more advantages my employees prefer.

For "all dry app's", we use a 'Spyker 220' mounted on a John Deere 445 (3-point hitch). It also has a variable speed control. Maximum spread width = 35 feet. Actually we can "spread" as wide as 40 feet if we raise the 3-point hitch.

Bottom line regarding spraying & spreading at the same time.... 5 mph is fast enough to do a quality job while hitting the trim areas at the same time. Boomless nozzles are best compared to a "boom" -- especially concerning flower beds, street signs, etc. (T3000)

Try telling my T3000 operators they need to run a Z, and they WILL get mad. They know, cuz they have tried both.

Josh.S
08-04-2009, 08:01 PM
All of our T3000 operators know that Z-Spray units are capable of spreading farther, but the Z "spray" pattern is no wider than our T's (which we safely transport on carrier racks w/pickup trucks :laugh:). So for doing "weed & feed", running T3000 units was a no brainer for us >>> we got the money to buy whatever works, but the T3000's offer way many more advantages my employees prefer.

For "all dry app's", we use a 'Spyker 220' mounted on a John Deere 445 (3-point hitch). It also has a variable speed control. Maximum spread width = 35 feet. Actually we can "spread" as wide as 40 feet if we raise the 3-point hitch.

Bottom line regarding spraying & spreading at the same time.... 5 mph is fast enough to do a quality job while hitting the trim areas at the same time. Boomless nozzles are best compared to a "boom" -- especially concerning flower beds, street signs, etc. (T3000)

Larry, when I talked to you last you said that you only do 1 blanket application of week killer per year. So if you do 5 applications 4/5 of your applications are straight granular.

Are you telling me on 4 of your 5 applications you would rather use this....
http://www.johnjlevy.com/ebaypics/445pics/445right2.jpg

over this???
http://www.obxlawncare.com/images/Z-Spray.jpg

Only 1/5 of your applications then would be used with your T3K.

RABBITMAN11
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RABBITMAN11
08-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Second I highly dought the t can beat a permagreen.

haulingrass
08-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Anybody ever try a Ground Logic Pathfinder? It appears to be quite like a PG Centri from a few years back. 12 gal tank, 100lb hopper. Just curious, I was thinking of getting one...

a plus bob
08-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Anybody ever try a Ground Logic Pathfinder? It appears to be quite like a PG Centri from a few years back. 12 gal tank, 100lb hopper. Just curious, I was thinking of getting one...

I looked one over at GIE last fall looked pretty nice I would check out a Z-spray but if a Z isnt for you the ground logic would be my next choice.