PDA

View Full Version : Major mushrooms in mulch... Help!!!!

jonesland
08-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I am in desperate need for some advice on how to kill mushrooms. We just started landscaping a huge apartment complex and it has huge mulch beds all over the place. I am in charge of the lawn maintenance and these mushrooms are driving me crazy!!

JB1
08-01-2009, 10:35 PM
try a golf club.

jonesland
08-01-2009, 10:49 PM
thanks for the advice

Think Green
08-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Do the beds have hardwood mulch in them???

We don't like hardwood for this reason. It is a natural process of decomposition and or too much moisture retention. Either way, I treat my shrubbery with Chlorthalonil and the overwash, controls the mushrooms. Too much fungicide will destroy living microorganisms eventually underground..

jonesland
08-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Yes it is hardwood mulch. The beds also have drip irrigation in them. We recently turn the drip down so I hope to see some results from this. Please tell me some more about this chlorthalonil what it works on and the best place to get some.

jonesland
08-03-2009, 01:03 PM
i think it is mold spores instead of mushrooms

Think Green
08-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Jonesland,
Some people have trouble with another spore called "Atrillery fungus"-it looks like black spots that grow on the surface of walls,etc. The fungus that grows on the hardwood mulches aren't similar but are a sore eye to the landscape. I ceased to use hardwood mulches some time ago, as our customers didn't appreciate the pungent smells anymore.
We have switched to Cypress or Cedar.
I purchase my smaller container Chlorthalonil from our local nurseries, as product called Hi-Yield products. The AI is somewhere around 18%! This product is like calamine lotion and thick, so get a 5 gallon container and premix you a gallon or two and predilute the mixture and stir it in well. My 4 gallon backpacks, I mix 4 gallons of water and mix the thalonil into that and then dump into my pack. The reason for doing this is to assure the mixture has mixed well.
The other product I use is called "FUNG-ONIL" ECHO LITE--It is still Chlorthalonil but the AI is 28%.
The reason for the difference is one product costs less to use than the other. The second reason is the availability. For 16.00 a quart, you can get the first brand of thalonil at a rate of like 4-6 oz. per gallon versus the Fung-onil is 30.00 per quart at 1-2 oz. per gallon of water. This brand of thalonil is not chalky and will mix easier into water better. I feel that it is better to treat some of my shrubbery and plants and not have that unsightly residue the other brand leaves behind.