PDA

View Full Version : Grassy Weed ID

GravelyGuy
08-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I treat this lawn three times a year so I haven't been at the property for several months until yesterday and there is a ton of this crap in this lawn. I'm not sure what it's called. In the past I have handled very small patches on other properties by just digging it out.

bj22
08-02-2009, 12:47 PM
better sharpen those blades

GravelyGuy
08-02-2009, 12:50 PM
better sharpen those blades

I don't cut the grass at that lawn, but I know from other lawns that I do cut that it's not the blades on the mower that cause that. I sharpen my blades every couple of days and it will still cut like that with this particular weed.

turf hokie
08-02-2009, 02:02 PM
It has nothing to do with sharp blades.

I had this problem on a lawn last year. I am curious as to what type of grass it is. It only shows up this time of year and I have not found anything to control it.

I think this has been posted in the past with no answers. I took it to a golf superintendent and he had no answer either.

Can anybody help with this weed?

GravelyGuy
08-02-2009, 02:12 PM
It has nothing to do with sharp blades.

I had this problem on a lawn last year. I am curious as to what type of grass it is. It only shows up this time of year and I have not found anything to control it.

I think this has been posted in the past with no answers. I took it to a golf superintendent and he had no answer either.

Can anybody help with this weed?

I beleive it was there in the early spring, but it doesn't start to get fuzzy looking until later in the year. It just looked like some sort of undesireable field grass or something in the spring.

RAlmaroad
08-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Could you possibly get a closer image of the grass in the lawn; maybe, a foot or so from it and a close up of the roots and stem as well.

dKoester
08-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Almost looks like goose grass.

RigglePLC
08-02-2009, 03:29 PM
We had a turf field day last week. We saw something similar--the graduate student called it "fountain grass". It is an ornamental grass used for landscaping. It escapes due to the seed. Very fibrous--very tough to cut.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/penn_ori.cfm

dKoester
08-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Let it seed and I will know what it is.

Think Green
08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Gravely,
It seems that since you don't maintain this lawn that its not your fault. It isn't the other guys fault either! The edges of properties and residential lawns are usually where the weeds are the toughest. Line trimmers always cut too low along the edge-tops and edging keeps the area open for seed germination. The other person is mulching apparently as the weed tops are sprangled as they are. That is how some of these types of weeds look when I mulch using my Exmark.
It looks like either goose or dallis grass.... it is hard to tell without a seed stalk. Goose grass is determined by looking down on the weed base, as the base is shaped like a plus sign and is white colored. I can't describe the seed pods without looking at them.
Try some MSMA or whatever you have for grassy weeds in your turf zone. When I treat commercials or residentials, I always give an extra stripe of pre or post along the street edge or sidewalks.

turf hokie
08-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Gravely,
It seems that since you don't maintain this lawn that its not your fault. It isn't the other guys fault either! The edges of properties and residential lawns are usually where the weeds are the toughest. Line trimmers always cut too low along the edge-tops and edging keeps the area open for seed germination. The other person is mulching apparently as the weed tops are sprangled as they are. That is how some of these types of weeds look when I mulch using my Exmark.
It looks like either goose or dallis grass.... it is hard to tell without a seed stalk. Goose grass is determined by looking down on the weed base, as the base is shaped like a plus sign and is white colored. I can't describe the seed pods without looking at them.
Try some MSMA or whatever you have for grassy weeds in your turf zone. When I treat commercials or residentials, I always give an extra stripe of pre or post along the street edge or sidewalks.

It is flat in the bud and very, very tough. It has been ruled out as goose or dallis in my searching, but someone may say different.

I think the ornamental grass may be more along the lines of what it is.

GravelyGuy
08-02-2009, 05:11 PM
The landscape is an overgrown mess at this property. There are some ornamental grasses in the mess somewhere, so they could be the cause. None of the neighbors have it yet though.

You can't see in the pictures, but some of the patches that the mower missed it looks like it may have had little seed heads like foxtail.

I sprayed a little patch of this mystery weed with Q4 yesterday just to see if I would get any results. I probably won't see any results either way because as I was leaving the property it started to sprinkle rain and then started to pour about an hour later.

starry night
08-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Riggle has it. Ornamental grass (probably fountain grass) which does a great job of seeding itself. Was at a seminar a couple years ago with an Ohio State hort prof who showed us a photo like that and asked us to identify it. Since then I have seen it for myself on properties I maintain. There is no selective for it. Roundup or dig it out.

Harry0
08-03-2009, 07:25 AM
We had a turf field day last week. We saw something similar--the graduate student called it "fountain grass". It is an ornamental grass used for landscaping. It escapes due to the seed. Very fibrous--very tough to cut.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/penn_ori.cfm

I agree-It could have reseeded itself from a shrub bed. I have seen the shredded look before and it was Pennesedum Hamelin