PDA

View Full Version : Load Handler for Mulch...again.

TQ Lawn Service
08-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Okay, I've done a search on this site for the Load Handler going back to 2000. I'm aware of material locking up on either side of the wheel wells. I would like to know if anyone has any pics of how they solved the locking up issue, such as boards used to block off the front area, etc. Some people from the past posts indicated that they would take pictures of how they solved the problem, but none did. I have an idea of how I would solve this problem, but of course would like to look to see how others are doing it.

I'm going to be using an F150 8' bed, so I'm going to be unloading 3 yards of mulch at a time. I'm just curious if, outside of the material potentially locking up, this is feasible.

PS...I'm not looking at other options unless it can fit onto the F150. I'm not buying a trailer right now. I'm aware that a dump would be better, that's not an option. Please don't turn this into a dump would be better...we're all aware of this.

TQ Lawn Service
08-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Nothing? Bumpidy Bump Bump

Roger
08-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I can't offer anything with regard to the Load Handler, but you may want to check out weights before putting 3 cu yd of mulch in your F150. The local supply yard selling the mulch should be able to tell you weight per cu yd. Three may be too much weight for your F150.

TQ Lawn Service
08-04-2009, 10:46 PM
I can't offer anything with regard to the Load Handler, but you may want to check out weights before putting 3 cu yd of mulch in your F150. The local supply yard selling the mulch should be able to tell you weight per cu yd. Three may be too much weight for your F150.

I thought that this might come up, and I appreciate your response. I know that the truck will handle it, I've done it before, although I don't know how many times, etc. I don't know what the absolute max is before things go wrong. I'm figuring mulch averages ~800 pounds per yard (more if wet, less if dry), which would be ~2400 pounds. Still over the truck capacity, but doable.

A supplier has a chart on their website that shows a full size f150 has the capacity for 3 heaping yards. Of course that doesn't account for weight.

Of course, I could be off on everything, these are just the numbers that I'm using.

If anyone has experience with a full size bed and the loadhandler, please let me know. Thank you.

Roger
08-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Your weight of 800#/cu yd is about what I have seen for mulch in this area -- agreed about moisture content moving the number up and down.

The net hauling capacity of an F150 is far below 2,400#. It may be about half. I can't remember (had an F150 until six years ago). The landscape yard probably has a scale for you to weigh your truck dry, and the doorpost sticker has the GVWR.

ed2hess
08-05-2009, 08:27 PM
We started out that way but found long term it was better to just buy the stuff in bags.

TQ Lawn Service
08-05-2009, 10:15 PM
The net hauling capacity of an F150 is far below 2,400#... and the doorpost sticker has the GVWR.

I did check that a while back, but really looked into it today. It looks like my payload can be ~1700lbs. That's two yards...I know I'm going to be over with three yards, but what's 800lbs amongst friends.:rolleyes:

I don't know, I guess I was hoping the axles would hold up for the additional weight. Now I don't know whether I want to push the limit and cause damage that could be avoided. I do appreciate your bringing that up, I did think about it, but it made me step back and think about it further. I'm curious what additional leaf springs will do for me...I'll have to look that up.

Again...if anyone has any experience with the loadhandler, please share some info. I was trying to start here until I could justify buying something bigger/better.

TQ Lawn Service
08-05-2009, 10:17 PM
We started out that way but found long term it was better to just buy the stuff in bags.

My question to you would be...if you needed three yards, it's still the same weight and it would be cheaper to buy in bulk. I'm not exactly sure what the benefit of the bags would be. Could you explain?