PDA

View Full Version : New patio,almost complete....

Steiner
08-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Here is a few before and after shots of a small completed patio.

We used unilock poly sand, belgard modular pavers in terra cotta, and woven geotextile fabric, 1" of concrete sand, and 6" of run and crush base. Oh and we decided to try the rusk method from the rusketorial I saw posted the other day worked well.

An update on the saw saga from my other post about the ts460 cutoff saw: Zedo I racked up about 650 dollars n rental fees on a 14" makita. Great guy from the Home depot rental calls me and said, If I buy a NEW makita 14" for $900 he will drop the rental fee to zero, throw in a free blade, free 4 1/2" grinder and diamond blade for the grinder. So I went for it even though I had my heart set on a stihl. Sorry I did not get back to you earlier we have been working hard to get this done.

I have about 21 plants going in Monday:

Shadblow Serviceberry
Black eyed susans
Shasta daisys
Japanese holly
Pieris
Maiden grasses

Constructive critique appreciated please:

PatriotLandscape
08-02-2009, 11:46 PM
looks good I would have done a wrap around on both sides for symmetry on the stairs but other than that very nice

kootoomootoo
08-03-2009, 12:11 AM
i kinda like it how it is...a little different. everything looks straight and doesnt have that choppy look.

I don't like stihl saws.

Bru75
08-03-2009, 12:33 AM
I think it looks good, but I agree with Patriot. Once there are some plants on the right side of the steps maybe it will balance better.

Lite4
08-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Nice job on the radius! I disagree with the guys that want it symetrical looking. Balance it with plant material. Something with high visual impact on the right side of the staircase. Asymetrical is nice, it breaks up the visual boredome and keeps the eyes moving throughout the scene.

Steiner
08-03-2009, 12:48 AM
You guys are right it would have looked better with a step in the right direction as well as the left. I left it out and I kind of regret it.

My initial thought was that there was no step needed since the door is on the left only and the client wanted to cover up the AC unit on the right. I wanted to leave room for plants as a natural screen and also, not have to mess with the basement window, or multiple pipes coming out of that location.

As I look at it now I would love to do that extra steps and balance things out. Anything else you guys think I could have done or tried? I welcome your thoughts.

It was my first time using versa lok and I initially wanted to do a curving stair system but did not want to invest the labor. How much time on average is needed to do curving stairs? 50% more?

JRSlawn
08-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Looks good!
P.S Kooo Stihl saws are the greatest saw out run them till they blow then replace the whole motor for 175 in 15 minutes I will never run anything else. Every piece of handheld equipment we will ever run will be stihl I have had them all Tanka lasted a week Redmax ran good carbs all gummed up over the winter with no gas in them so now it is stihl for life

Steiner
08-03-2009, 12:53 AM
It is a tough spot to plant in, hardly any light. I was thinking pieris, hydrangea, or Japanese holly. My local supplier is short on options right now. Come to think if it I always have a hard time with low light situations. What do you suggest?

zedosix
08-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Looks good, not to worry about the steps being left hung. What I love about hardscaping is the ability to design it without having to do what other people think it should look like. Its your own and its good.
Lines are a bit choppy imo but overall nice work. Where did you relocate that vent to?

Good deal on the saw btw.

Dreams To Designs
08-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Looks great and if it fits the needs of the client, perfect. I prefer a larger landing when entering the patio door, but like the steps weighted to the left. That job definitely needs plants, especially to offer some screening from the streets. That house is in a very odd position with relation to the neighbors.

Besides being shaded, that area by the AC will also be dry. Plan that with your plant choice. If this is to be a summer patio, hydrangea would add seasonal interest, and be a good moisture indicator. Pieris prefers a little more sun than none, as does the Japanese holly. For evergreens; Plum Yew, Boxwood, Mountain Laurel, Mahonia, Cherry & Skip Laurel and Skimmia will grow in those conditions.

Kirk

CertPro
08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Looks good as others have said. My only question is why not mitre top step to match others. Looks a little weird, like you forgot to do it.