PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting up in Indiana

dvaughn
08-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I am considering starting up a lawn care business next year and have some questions for the veterans in Indiana.

1. What license do i need to get and where do I get them. Any web links would be great. I am going to start out as a sole proprietor and was wondering where do go to register the business name at.

2. What company do you use for your liability insurance and about how much can I expect to pay in Indiana with only doing mowing?

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

coolluv
08-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Well lets see... I'll bet if you went to your county website and put a little effort into it you jusssssssssssst might be able to answer your own question.

Good luck, I'll look forward to seeing your equipment on ebay in 2010.

Dave...

SangerLawn
08-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Well lets see... I'll bet if you went to your county website and put a little effort into it you jusssssssssssst might be able to answer your own question.

Good luck, I'll look forward to seeing your equipment on ebay in 2010.

Dave...

Wow…that post was absolutely nice of you!!! Sometimes I can’t understand why and how people are still in business with attitudes like yours. Your post in no way did anything other then waste space and time to read…thank you for that

coolluv
08-02-2009, 11:51 PM
You know helping someone with a legitimate question is one thing but do you think that it he can't figure that much out on his own he is going to make it very long. Thats the problem with some of these guys, they want everything handed to them and don't want to do a little work on their own.

Dave...

SangerLawn
08-02-2009, 11:57 PM
In our state you are not required to get a business license for mowing. You are however required to have a minimum of 1 million dollars of insurance. Almost any insurance company can offer you that. Call around and get best price. If you are crossing state lines I believe you must have 2 million dollars of insurance but I could be wrong on this one.

I would recommend getting a DBA or a LLC. You can search for them on google and pay over the net. It is simple and easy. Prices will vary.

If you are located in the city you will have to rent or own a place listed as commercial so you can run a business out of it. They will fine you for running a business in a residential neighborhood unless you are in the county.

You will have to go to your county court house and have the name of your company searched before you will be able to open a bank account. I think it costs like $15.00 but I could be wrong. Its been many years since I did this.

If you are not doing commercial properties you are not required to have workman’s comp unless you have employees.

Do a search for DOT number registration on the web and get your federal DOT numbers. Once you have your numbers call the state troopers office in Indianapolis and request a 150 form so you can register your numbers in the state. Also set up an appointment to have your truck and trailer inspected. Read other post for DOT regulations or better yet ask your closest state troopers office.

Do a search on google for you a tax id registration. I can not remember the web site. When you first start you can use your social security number but you will need a tax id number down the road.

I recommend getting signed up for a duns and brad number. Again search the web for there site. I have been asked several times for this number. It is not something you need however it comes in useful.

There is more but its getting late and I’m about to fall asleep. This will however get you started.

SangerLawn
08-03-2009, 12:05 AM
You know helping someone with a legitimate question is one thing but do you think that it he can't figure that much out on his own he is going to make it very long. Thats the problem with some of these guys, they want everything handed to them and don't want to do a little work on their own.

Dave...

You are right and I do understand you frustration. I see stupid posts all the time ether here or on some of the other lawn care sites. Most of the time I don’t even reply to them because I know someone else will.

With the above being said I do like to see these kinds of stupid questions. At least he is trying to do it correctly. To you and I the questions he asked does sound kind of dumb however when I first started out I had the same kind of questions. Thankfully I got most of my answers on this site. Every one of us is ether on this site to learn or help. Personally I am here for both. I don’t care if someone has been in business for 60 years they can still learn something new. A lot of times the something new that people learn are considered stupid questions by someone else.

dvaughn
08-03-2009, 07:23 AM
SangerLawn thanks for your reply, it is helpful. I have already talked to several people in the business and they are not doing it legally (no insurance, dot numbers, not paying taxes, no EIN number). I know most of the stuff I need to do but I want to make sure I am not missing anything and I want to start up legitimate. My county website does not have any information on it and the state website has very little info on it. I had no idea before finding this site that I would have to register with the DOT. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing stuff like this. Someone once told me there is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid answers.

coolluv
08-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I Googled Indiana small business and in 2 seconds I found this. Seems like it has everything you need.

http://www.business.gov/states/indiana/start.html

Dave...