PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer Suggestions

GravelyGuy
08-02-2009, 07:01 PM
I love it already. It's a United 8.5'x24' 5200lb/ spring axles. The Tundra tows it like it's no big deal.

I am trying to decide what to do with the floor. I am considering using Herculiner. I also like the sand in the paint idea that I read on here. I want to put the liner 18-24" up the side walls also, or I could use diamond plate or just use some 3/8" plywood.

I thought it was kind of wierd that the 3/4" plywood floor is the only thing between the street and your stuff, but I guess it will be fine since the floor has a 25 year warranty.

Gemplers has some track stuff for the walls that I am considering for tie downs, hooks, racks, etc. I am trying to decide if I want to add shelving/cabinets to the front or what.

This trailer will have 2 ZTRs (60" and 34"), pushmower, spreader, skid sprayer, ladders, hedge trimmers, pole saw etc. All the usual maintenance stuff, and I also want to have room for my soon to be Z-Spray.

If you guys could do it over setting up your enclosed, let me know what you would do.

Thanks for looking:cool2:

SNAPPER MAN
08-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Trailer looks awesome. Just out of curiosity why would you want to haul around everything you own? Why not just take what you need because all the extra weight adds up and will just cause more wear to your truck and make your mpg's worse. I'm just wondering, everything looks great though.

GravelyGuy
08-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Trailer looks awesome. Just out of curiosity why would you want to haul around everything you own? Why not just take what you need because all the extra weight adds up and will just cause more wear to your truck and make your mpg's worse. I'm just wondering, everything looks great though.

Thank you, for the last two years and the start of this one I have had a separate trailer for spraying and mowing. I have found myself falling behind on my fert accounts because I can't get to them when I need to. It's much easier to just spray a couple of lawns on the other side of town while your there then go home unhook the mowing trailer, hook up the other and drive back over in the evenings. I take care of a LOT of crap for a mostly 1-2 man operation.

I can't wait to get this thing lettered.

GravelyGuy
08-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Another thing, I am getting rid of a $100.00 per month storage bill because of this trailer:clapping:

Petr51488
08-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Great looking trailer... Won't that put a ton of weight on the tonge with that huge tank up front?

GravelyGuy
08-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Great looking trailer... Won't that put a ton of weight on the tonge with that huge tank up front?

Yeah, it does, but it shouldn't be so bad once I get the rest my stuff in there. I hope the trailer frame can handle it. I had 150 gallons in it the other day just like it is and everything seemed fine.

Does anyone know if there is a cheaper alternative to the E-track stuff? With each little hook, holder, etc. being around $20 it will get expensive quick.

milsaps118
08-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Does anyone know if there is a cheaper alternative to the E-track stuff? With each little hook, holder, etc. being around $20 it will get expensive quick.

You could put a bunch more D rings in but you still won't be happy with it. Do it right the first time and use E track. So much more versatile. You don't have to go all out and E track both sides completely, just buy a few strips and place 'em where you'll need it most, then just add to it when you have some extra cash.

Your definitely gonna need racks and holders for handhelds, rakes, shovels, etc.... A caged in shelf or cabinet is great for misc stuff like oil, fluid film cans, tools, whatever else. A trimmer trap or something similar to hold your trimmers is great, and hooks for blowers.

Most importantly make sure you fasten all your racks, shelves, hooks, etc to the wall studs and E track to the frame rails. Do not fasten anything to the plywood side walls alone, at first it might seem solid and hold, but after a few months it will all loosen up and when you pull up to a job site and open your door your Sh!t will be all over your floor.

Hope this helps, BTW nice trailer.:drinkup:

milsaps118
08-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I forgot to mention one more thing, set up is very important too. I have my trimmers right next to my blowers. My trimmer line is right there too. I get done trimming, hang the trimmer up and bam my blowers are right within reach all setup in the tail of the trailer, not up in the nose.

Set up is probably the most important thing that I would suggest so put a good deal of thought into it and lay it all out a few different ways before permanently securing everything down.

Here is a pic of my trimmer and blower set up. My hand tool are hanging on a tool holder I bought at Home Cheapo with a bungee stretched across to keep 'em from flopping around.

GravelyGuy
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
You could put a bunch more D rings in but you still won't be happy with it. Do it right the first time and use E track. So much more versatile. You don't have to go all out and E track both sides completely, just buy a few strips and place 'em where you'll need it most, then just add to it when you have some extra cash.

Your definitely gonna need racks and holders for handhelds, rakes, shovels, etc.... A caged in shelf or cabinet is great for misc stuff like oil, fluid film cans, tools, whatever else. A trimmer trap or something similar to hold your trimmers is great, and hooks for blowers.

Most importantly make sure you fasten all your racks, shelves, hooks, etc to the wall studs and E track to the frame rails. Do not fasten anything to the plywood side walls alone, at first it might seem solid and hold, but after a few months it will all loosen up and when you pull up to a job site and open your door your Sh!t will be all over your floor.

Hope this helps, BTW nice trailer.:drinkup:

Hey thanks for the info. This is the stuff we are talking about right?
http://www.gemplers.com/search/e+track

I've never seen the stuff in person so I guess it's pretty tough stuff?

They make trimmer racks and everything. I don't know how they would compare to Trimmertrap or whatever. I may just use the one I have now.

milsaps118
08-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Yep same stuff we're talking about. E Track is the way to go to secure your mowers, spray tank down. I never used it on my walls to hold anything else down though. That one from gemplers to hold trimmers is junk, stay away from that.

Check out NT might be a little cheaper. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=e%20track&Nty=1&D=e%20track&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

Instead of buying the E track straps, get the little 6" one's with the ring and just use your regular ratchet straps to hook onto the 6" ring strap. That way you don't have to spend $100+ on all new straps.

zero_turn_mowers
08-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Im looking for set up idea's to, I have a 8.5x24 I bought last Oct. and been using it for basically storage and moving purpose, Here in a few weeks it will be free'd up so I plan on setting it up with racks, shelves and whatever comes to mind, I had a 7x16 enclosed years ago set up for 2 Walker Mowers that worked out really well, Set up is the key to making a easy work day.

nnj18
08-04-2009, 06:20 PM
your little tundra won't last too long now

poolboy
08-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I think you're asking too much out of your Tundra to yank that thing around everyday. And that's coming from an 09' 5.7 owner as well. At the very least, you should consider helper bags.

GravelyGuy
08-04-2009, 08:36 PM
The tundra will be fine. It has air bags and Prodigy P3 brake controller BTW. It's stable at speed and pulls/stops easily. What more do you want? I was told the same thing about putting the skid sprayer in it and it did perfectly fine with it. The brakes, transmission, drive shaft, wheel bearings etc. are all perfectly capable. Have you climbed underneath your truck and looked poolboy? You need more time with it. I wouldn't just go out and drop all this money on a trailer if the truck couldn't handle it. Tell me what you think the first thing to fail will be?

Back to topic, does anyone have a guess how many gallons of Herculiner I will need? Their website claims 60 square feet per gallon, but some guys on here claim that they have done 18' trailer plus some on the wall with 2.5 gallons. I want to go at least 6" or more up the wall with it (300-320 surae feet).

The cheapest place in town was $75 per gallon. I found it on Ebay for $69 per gallon, no sales tax. It will be worth the order if I need 5 or 6 gallons.

If anyone has pictures of their trailers with spray in liner or just paint, please post them up.

ryansbob
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Lets see a pic of it hooked up to the TUNDRA...Hope you dont get cut off in traffic and need to stop quickly. This trailer needs a minimum of a 3/4 ton truck to pull it. You will be spending a lot of time at the gas pump....Hope the land is completely flat with no hills in your area, or you will be coasting down them backwards. Not trying to be mean just trying to give you some helpfull advice, before you seriously hurt either your truck or someone else on the road.

wanabe
08-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Don't get the cheep do it yourself bedliner material. Someone put that crap in my truck before i purchased it and its total crap! Get it sprayed in by a shop. Its 10-15 times thicker when they spray it in.

GravelyGuy
08-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Don't get the cheep do it yourself bedliner material. Someone put that crap in my truck before i purchased it and its total crap! Get it sprayed in by a shop. Its 10-15 times thicker when they spray it in.

$1800 for Rhino liner and more for LineX. That's unreasonable, it's DIY or forget it.

ryansbob
08-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Then forget the liner, don't junk up a really nice trailer with a do it yourself liner, if you are that concerned then purchase a nice indoor outdoor carpet remnant or find some nice rubber truck bed mats to save the plywood floor, just pull it out a few times a year and shake it or blow it off.

GravelyGuy
08-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Then forget the liner, don't junk up a really nice trailer with a do it yourself liner, if you are that concerned then purchase a nice indoor outdoor carpet remnant or find some nice rubber truck bed mats to save the plywood floor, just pull it out a few times a year and shake it or blow it off.

I am thinking about buying a quart of the Herculiner and trying it out on something before going ahead with it. The reviews are about 70/30 online good to bad. It sounds like a lot of people rushed the prep part and that's where the problems are.

I have considered some sort of thick rubber, but it would probably be about 2/3 the cost of the Herc. for good stuff. The carpet would be a major pain.

milsaps118
08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
What's is your major concern with protecting the floor and walls? Oil spills, grease and grime staining the wood floor?

I used the peel and stick vinyl floor tiles (8x8?) you can get at Home Cheapo or Lowes. I bought a mix of Black and White and did a checkered flag pattern. Looks great and when it gets dirty I hit it with a damp mop or just blow it off.

But as you said prep is everything! I slacked on that part and now some of my tiles are lifting up. Not a big deal though since I bought a little extra just for that simple fact.

Just a though to consider and will save you a ton.

the new boss 92
08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
tiles would be your best bet, we had a 8.5x20 and we laid down the cheacker floor and it took a beating and you just mop it up once a week!

THEGOLDPRO
08-05-2009, 02:23 PM
i love all the tundra doubters lol, the tundra will handle that load without even blinking, we tow our 32 foot camper with our tundra, and you dont even know its back there.
http://www.msprotege.com/members/THEGOLDPRO/campertundra1.jpg
and yes i know the truck was sagging a bit in the back, but we also had the bed loaded down with wood, and didnt have the tow bar on the camper adjusted perfectly.

the tundra has absolutely no problems pulling or stopping i would i know i live in a very hilly part of CT, and never once were we ever scared the truck couldent handle it.

GravelyGuy
08-06-2009, 11:24 PM
What's is your major concern with protecting the floor and walls? Oil spills, grease and grime staining the wood floor?

I used the peel and stick vinyl floor tiles (8x8?) you can get at Home Cheapo or Lowes. I bought a mix of Black and White and did a checkered flag pattern. Looks great and when it gets dirty I hit it with a damp mop or just blow it off.

But as you said prep is everything! I slacked on that part and now some of my tiles are lifting up. Not a big deal though since I bought a little extra just for that simple fact.

Just a though to consider and will save you a ton.

Stuff has to be clean and organized or I get nervous lol. The plywood would always look dirty and I wouldn't be able to wash it. Won't tile peel quickly if it gets damp?

Thanks for posting that up GoldPro. These guys really haven't put the Tundra to the test. I've hauled cars/trucks, top soil, sod, mulch and rock. The truck will handle this trailer fine.

THEGOLDPRO
08-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Stuff has to be clean and organized or I get nervous lol. The plywood would always look dirty and I wouldn't be able to wash it. Won't tile peel quickly if it gets damp?

Thanks for posting that up GoldPro. These guys really haven't put the Tundra to the test. I've hauled cars/trucks, top soil, sod, mulch and rock. The truck will handle this trailer fine.

yea well people are set in their ways, i dont really care to sit here and defend the truck because i can care less what those haters say about it, i know first hand what the trucks capable of. 99.9 percent of the haters are going off what they "THINK" or what they have "HEARD". until you tow with one you have no idea what its capable of.

BTW the camper loaded down with all our gear weighed over 10k on the scales, and it towed it like nothing.

poolboy
08-07-2009, 06:53 AM
I guess I'll need to go try mine out on something. I'm doubting the little 5X8 sitting in my garage will hardy do. :laugh:

milsaps118
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM

It will if you don't take the time to prep the floor. I get the inclination your anel (like me) when it comes to making sure your gear looks good and things are done right.

If I were to do it all over again I'd spray down the floor and scrub it with some mild detergent, let it air dry completely and then lay the tile. Then use a heavy steel rolling pin like the ones they use for linoleum flooring and roll the whole thing to get a good bond to the floor. To get an even better bond you could use that floor glue for vinyl flooring. Roll it on the floor with a roller and lay tiles as you go. Another thought is to get a whole piece cut to size and have the whole floor seamless.

When I did mine, it was after 2 seasons of bare floor and I had oil and dirt residue embedded in the floor. On top of that, all I did was blow it out and sweep it with a stiff bristle broom then blew it out again. Big mistake! I should have took the time to prep it like I just described. Some of my tiles did peel up and I just pulled 'em back up and replaced them.

ed2hess
08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I guess that size trailer has brakes on all four wheels? I assume your tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton truck?