PDA

View Full Version : everything was stolen

fastcat
08-03-2009, 02:32 PM
i was going to the storage unit today to pick up my equipment and my trailer was not there. then i went to the manager of the place and told them what had happend and then i went back to the unit and noticed that my storage unit that i kept my mowers in was missing the whole locking assembly. so my 16' lone wolf trailer, fs 80 trimmer, fc 95 edger with my articulating head hedge trimmer on it, my brand new wright stander 52" rh that i still owe on:realmad:, my lesco 36" walkbehind gear drive, br 600, earthway spreader, 10 gallon northstar spot sprayer, solo back pack sprayer, and tool box on front of trailer with lots of tools is all gone.

my wife has been really slow at work these past 2 months so i have been the one paying all the bills and keeping food on the table. the only thing that i have right now is my hedge trimmers and my bg 85 blower. i am screwed. i dont know what i am going to do. i am going to talk to my insurance guy in the morning, he said that i should be able to claim some stuff under my home owners insurance. but until then i am screwed. i dont have anything to go mow my customers yards with. any advice on how to get back up after this. i just want to be able to provide for my family and in this economy its hard enough to do as it is. fuc* a thief rot in hell.

TomberLawn
08-03-2009, 02:40 PM
fastcat, if I can help any, give me a call--704-254-3968. Does the storage place have any insurance against theft?

See if Interstate or Whitley's has a demo or used mower you could use for a few days. I don't know about a trailer, but maybe if you were able to get your hands on a 36-48" walk behind, you could haul it in the back of your truck. I've got some ramps if you need to use them.

If you need some help to get caught up with your accounts, I can probably help you out. I guess you've filed a police report, right?

fastcat
08-03-2009, 04:00 PM
i guess i will have to find a 48 hydro walk behind to use. scince i dont have a trailer i would have to use the bed of the truck with atv ramp. does anyone know if a walk bihind will go up those ramps with the space in between the supports. this is going to suck. i have a lot of customers that depend on me to take care of the yard and use me because i am a good lco. now i am probably going to look like some jack leg lco. damn this makes me sick

mods i put this in the comercial and resi thread because it will see lots of traffic. could you please put it back there

howierd3866
08-03-2009, 06:11 PM
sorry about the lost but its should is good to know there people on here that WILL help...good luck and thanks goodness for friends

FYS777
08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
there has to be someone with an extra trailer, i've got one but i'm in ORegon. there has to be some one close at hand, come on NC's

fl-landscapes
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I would imagine the storage company should have insurance to cover this. Thats why we pay to put our stuff there right? I would check and Im sure your insurance company will look into that as well. Good luck bro....that sucks!

WVDpoker
08-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Sorry partner, hope everything works out-I believe homeowners covers up to a certain amount, I don't think it matters what it is. If it does tell insurance there was electronic euipment in the unit

YardBoss Lawncare
08-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Man, this is terrible. If you were around here we could trade back and forth with my whole rig until you got on your feet. Hope it turns out okay for you. I've kept my equipment in a few of those storage facilities back when I first started my business. The ones I rented from had the 6' chain link with 3 strands of barbed wire, big iron jail bar style gate that lifted up for 15 seconds with a keypad, etc. I always waited until no one was around before I opened my door, just in case a thief was watching me. I didn't want anyone knowing which door was mine. Plus, I always asked the manager to give me one away from the lights (for the reason I just stated). Those lights won't stop a thief. They'll just bust it out or unscrew it. In a darker area it's harder for them to see from a distance which door I raised up and went in and out of. Even as catious as I was, I was still leary of my livelihood being in there unprotected. I doubt ill ever keep my stuff in one again after reading this thread. Good luck to you. If you were closer id help.

badbart
08-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Sadly we're seeing more and more of this. A dealer not too far from me got hit last month to the tune of 24 Zero Turns in one night! The thieves used a stolen tractor trailer to haul them off. They found the semi about a hundred miles away, but the mowers were long gone. Keep your eyes on the craigslist ads, sometimes they will show up, but often in a neighboring state. Hopefully you have a good criminal investigations division with your local Sheriff's Office and maybe they can get lucky and pick up some evidence or info that will help recover your equipment. Also you might check with your trailer vendors. My guy down here rents a 16 foot trailer for $15.00 a day. Good luck man.

MileHigh
08-03-2009, 09:38 PM
If you were in CO....you would have a rig right now.

I'm Truly sorry to hear the news Fastcat.

I hope those bastard thieves get busted.

Do you have serial #'s and such?

fastcat
08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
i had my trailer registration on me and i called the place where i bought the mower and got that s number i have to call tomorrow to get the ones for my trimmer and edger and blower. this site is great and the people on it make it that way.you guys are awesome

Az Gardener
08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Contact your clients asap either by phone or letter what ever you are most comfortable with let them know what has happened and what your plan is. Be sure you let them know you appreciate their understanding. If you do not already pre bill might be a good time to start. Communication with your clients at this time is critical.

Sorry about your loss I have had the same thing happen to me and my place had a live security guard :dizzy: at the time.

fastcat
08-06-2009, 11:56 PM
well i now have a mower and i had to work out of the back of my truck today and it sucks. if anyone has a trailer for sale let me know. looking for something small with a 3500 lb axle. i also had o go buy a string trimmer today. i tried to use my father in law's troy built trimmer but wanted to wrap it around a tree the first 2 seconds i used it so i left and bought a fs 130r. holy crap thats a trimmer.

GraZHopA
08-07-2009, 09:30 AM
FastCat; I am glad that you are back in business! I had been looking at that 48" Turf Tracer HP for quite some time. It was just more than I wanted to put into it for a spare. In your case as a primary mower it was a good deal and I am glad that you got it! I know working out of the truck must suck! Do you not have a family member or friend in your area with a four-wheeler / utility trailer that you could borrow for a while? It would appear that you could get by with a 5' x 8' trailer until you found one for yourself. Just a thought. Any word on your stolen equipment yet?

fastcat
08-07-2009, 09:35 AM
i may go get my dads trailer. it has no gate on the back so i will still have to use ramps and will still look like a jack leg from hell but its what i have to do. i am looking for a small trailer to use for a while untill i hear back from my insurance and scince i only have the turf tracer i dont need anything huge.

GraZHopA
08-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Thats true, good luck with the ramps. I suppose you could back the trailer into the curb and "hop" the mower in.

As for looking like a "jack leg", I wouldn't worry to much about it. You are back in business and your customers will be happy. That is all that matters, with the exception of paying the bills.:)

GraZHopA
08-07-2009, 10:04 AM
FastCat; There are several trailers within 250 miles of you look here (http://www.searchtempest.com/results.php?Region=na&statesel=&citysel=&statecodes=&citycodes=&catname=all+sale%2Fwanted&citySelect=zip&maxDist=250&zip=28112&showeb=1&category=8&subcat1=ccc&subcat2=eee&subcat3=ggg&subcat4=hhh&subcat5=jjj&subcat6=ppp&subcat7=res&subcat8=sss&subcat9=bbb&minAsk4=min&maxAsk4=max&bedrooms=&minAsk6=min&maxAsk6=max&minAsk8=min&maxAsk8=max&doa=&search_string=Utility+Lawn+Trailer&keytype=all&search_string_neg=).

PROCUT1
08-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Sorry to hear that.

I dont know for sure, but I imagine you would have a claim against the storage place. It seems to me they are responsible for security.

Then again, I dont know what kind of waivers and such you have to sign to get a unit.

Around here, every inch of the storage places is on camera and the only way in is a locked gate with a touch pad with a camera staring you in your face and another one at your license plate.

nickscuttingedgelawn
08-08-2009, 01:01 AM
http://www.searchtempest.com/results.php?Region=na&statesel=&citysel=&statecodes=&citycodes=&catname=all+sale%2Fwanted&citySelect=zip&maxDist=250&zip=28112&showeb=1&category=8&subcat1=ccc&subcat2=eee&subcat3=ggg&subcat4=hhh&subcat5=jjj&subcat6=ppp&subcat7=res&subcat8=sss&subcat9=bbb&minAsk4=min&maxAsk4=max&bedrooms=&minAsk6=min&maxAsk6=max&minAsk8=min&maxAsk8=max&doa=&search_string=Utility+Lawn+Trailer&keytype=all&search_string_neg=

this looks like a well built 5x8 near you!... sorry to hear about this man I live near mooresville nc and had a spreader and backpack blower stolen out of the bed of my truck when I was just in the backyard of the customers house (the blower is usally on the rack on the trailer but i was too tired to lift it so I threw it in the truck and they took it

Springmeadows
09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
I wish I were closer to you. I have a 5x10 I would like to sell and a walk behind, but I am at the western end of the state. Thieves SUCK...

badbart
09-19-2009, 08:34 PM
There's a guy around here that has several trucks and he also uses a storage facility to store his mowers and equipment at night and over the weekend. He parks the trucks and trailers in front of the storage units overnight. I'm afraid he's just advertising for a burglary.:hammerhead:

topsites
09-19-2009, 10:47 PM
This is the main reason why I never rented storage for my stuff...

And I don't fault you but TRY not to store it like that again, not trying to scare you
or tell you what to do but from what I hear say, it is only a matter of time.

Say if you need a stihl curved shaft edger and a bg-55 handheld blower and a
fs-85r you can have mine thou I see you've replaced at least one thing...
That and I'm a good 100 miles away.

integrityman
09-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Fastcat-

Slimy, lazy, no good c**k suckers thieves. I hate em. Im sorry they got ya. Keep your eye out on the pawn shops and local bars.

I wish there was something I could do.

Ive been there and feel your pain. I did get most of my stuff back ... got very lucky....

THEGOLDPRO
09-19-2009, 11:51 PM
this is why we have insurance....... i have full replacememt coverage on everthing i own if this ever happins to me. why do you not have commercial business insurance???

juspayme
09-21-2009, 02:06 AM
i feel bad dude. i have a 6 by 12 but im in pittsburgh, check craigslist. some u haul places rent trailers, i have an enclosed and i lock it on the job sites all of the time cause i dont trust people.

M&SLawnCare
09-21-2009, 10:23 PM
this is why we have insurance....... i have full replacememt coverage on everthing i own if this ever happins to me. why do you not have commercial business insurance???

Exactly. The marine coverage on your insurance policy will cover up to whatever the amount you insured it for minus the deductable. I've had to deal with this crap as well :(