PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Rust

sd night train
08-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I mowed my lawn yesterday and noticed a rust colored powder on my shoes and when I dumped the bag there was a lot of this dust. Is there any way to get rid of it? I am keeping the lawn at just over 3" b/c I was starting to get some browning....has been fairly dry for the last month but the lawn is still quite green. I fertilized about a month ago and havent been watering a lot. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

tombo82685
08-03-2009, 08:26 PM
As you know rust is a low nitrogen disease, so fertilization is usually the best a slow release would be best this time of year. Also, if the lawn is in a droughty stage give it the water, during these times of stress is when rust appears also.

RigglePLC
08-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Tombo is right. Plenty of nitrogen will help. One application now --another in two weeks. Plus plenty of water. Rapid growth will grow it out of the rust situation. It is a common disease in late summer and fall. Particularly on ryegrass (unless it is one of the high quality disease-resistant types). Particularly a problem in the first year of the seed sowing. Use fungicide if this doesn't help. It should disappear about the time of frost, in any case.

Smallaxe
08-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I mowed my lawn yesterday and noticed a rust colored powder on my shoes and when I dumped the bag there was a lot of this dust. Is there any way to get rid of it? I am keeping the lawn at just over 3" b/c I was starting to get some browning....has been fairly dry for the last month but the lawn is still quite green. I fertilized about a month ago and havent been watering a lot. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

We really never have a lot of disease problems in the grass here.
But I find it hard to believe that this "rust" has already put out so many spores that it is the cause of dust everywhere and on the shoes just by walking through.

Are you really observing a fungal diesease to that extreme when the lawn is still fairly green?

sd night train
08-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Smallaxe....yes....the last time I mowed which was on Saturday I had the rust all over my shoes and my mower. What type of fertilizer should I be looking for? Is a soil sample needed to really figure out what the problem is? We had a lot of rain in early summer and I wonder if this washed out the nitrogen that I had. My lawn was looking great about 6 weeks ago and now its starting to anger me.

mdlwn1
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Tombo is right. Plenty of nitrogen will help. One application now --another in two weeks. Plus plenty of water. Rapid growth will grow it out of the rust situation. It is a common disease in late summer and fall. Particularly on ryegrass (unless it is one of the high quality disease-resistant types). Particularly a problem in the first year of the seed sowing. Use fungicide if this doesn't help. It should disappear about the time of frost, in any case.

One app now and another in 2 weeks...cmon.

sd night train
08-04-2009, 03:05 PM
yeah....I know....what I am asking is what type of fertilizer. Corn Meal? Corn Gluten Meal? I have seen other places that are recommending to not use a fertilizer that contains phosphorus....why is that? Pardon my lack of fertilizer vocabulary here but 24-0-12, 25-0-18...what is best and what is the difference?

Smallaxe
08-05-2009, 12:50 PM
http://www.goodsearch.com/Image.aspx?imgurl=http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/images/rust-turf_50.jpeg&thurl=http://thm-a02.yimg.com/image/2a68a057af683514&rurl=http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/hot96/What_Was_Hot8-19.html&tt=31&no=18&name=rust%20turf%2050%20jpeg&w=257&h=233&size=14&type=jpeg

Control of rust in the home lawn is best accomplished by fertilizing and irrigating as needed to promote grass growth. Do not promote excessive growth. Water infrequently, but deeply. Irrigate during the early part of the day. Irrigate at a time that will permit complete leaf dryness before dew formation. Watering in the evening will increase the length of time that free moisture is on the leaves, and will increase the chances of infection. Mow frequently and collect clippings when possible. Several fungicides will aid in the control of rust, but multiple applications are generally required. Products containing the fungicides chlorothalonil (Daconil Weather Stik, Thalonil, etc.), mancozeb (Fore, etc.), myclobutanil (Eagle, etc.), propiconazole (Banner, etc.), triadimefon (Bayleton, etc.), or others are available for commercial applicators. Homeowners may find products containing chlorothalonil or mancozeb being sold under various trade names at garden supply stores or nurseries.

Think Green
08-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Smallaxe,
The rust gets so bad in the Spring on Zoysia and Bermuda's here that you can actually walk 20-30 feet and your shoes will be orange. Bagging the grass will leave a cloud of coppery smoke that will make you cough. Once the temperatures rise and the fertilizing starts after green-up, the rust disappears until early fall........again!!
This is for us Southern Boys!! Chlorthalonil is the usual choice, but takes multiple apps. Cleary's Chipco works too.... Heritage.too!! It is all expensive as a curative application.
A customer's 2 acre Zoysia lawn was sprayed last month....................it cost her $650.00! $7.50 per K!

sd night train
08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I would never spend a bunch of $$ on fungicide...that is plain stupid...I would kill off the entire lawn though and replant with a breed that isnt susceptible to rust.