PDA

View Full Version : We're bored. Who needs planting help/advice?

KathysLGC
08-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Things are slowing down for us. Not many customers are coming into our nursery. Figured now would be a good time to help out any one we can in CT or close by.
If you have any planting questions or projects and you need help, or if one of your customers is having problems with plants/shrubs ask us for advice. Not looking to make money. Just being neighborly.
A picture of the area would be best. Light/soil conditions also. We can give you suggestions on what to plant based on the light, soil, area, and deer problems.
We've been lazy on updating our website. I am working on before and after pictures of jobs that we've done.

Edgar

White Gardens
08-04-2009, 11:09 AM
All the nurseries around here have been slowing down too. Must be that time of year.

Do you guys do anything else such as landscaping, maintenance, etc....

KathysLGC
08-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Yes we do it all but we try to support the local landscapers by not bidding on any properties from people that buy from us. We have to be careful because some call it price fixing, we call it respect. Now if a customer asks us to bid on something and we don't know who does their property then we give an estimate.

All in all we're trying to be fair to everyone. I started mowing years ago and now i am where i am. Not far, but farther then i used to be and i know plain ole good honest help goes a long way. I'm trying to help anyone I can by giving free advice. Not looking for anything in return. The way the economy is, we all need to help each other out in some way.

White Gardens
08-04-2009, 01:12 PM
The free advice thing is a great ideal to have.

My only question is, would these other companies that you supply put bids in against accounts that you have.

There is only one or two other companies out there that I won't bid against out of respect, but the rest of the competition is fair game.

Other full service nurseries wouldn't hesitate to bid against me, and I'll probably still come back to buy supplies if they have a good selection.

But then again, I don't own a nursery or supply company. I don't know what your market is like, and if you can afford to tick off your customers.

KathysLGC
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
It always comes down to why the customer wants to shop around. Most of our work isn't near our nursery so it makes it easy. If we don't know the company then we will put a bid in. Fair is fair and at the end of the day we have to do right by the customer. We're trying to be that helpful mom and pop store. A place that you can go to with questions and know that we'll help you.
Now if a customer is getting poor service, and we know who's doing their lawn then we will put in a bid. Keep in mind we dont tell a customer we cant bid because of XYZ, we are friendly with the contractors and ask what parts of town they mow in. To be honest, we would rather not do any maintenance and just give all work to the local guys. it would be a win, win situation. there just isnt a whole lot of money in mowing any more after payroll, fuel, etc is paid for.

blakeg314
08-31-2009, 04:45 PM
hi kathy, just picked up a decent size planting job wondering if you would be willing to help me out with some of the design factors

KathysLGC
10-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Aww man. I'm sorry I got this so late. How did the job go?