PDA

View Full Version : Zoysia Grass

ratodd
08-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Just wanted to get some opions about Zoysia Grass, Is it a good grass to cover a yard with or is there something else anyone would recomend.

Richard Martin
08-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Where are you located?

Elite Outdoor
08-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Depends on where you are located. In Oklahoma it seems to be a pretty good grass, compared to other alternatives. Bermuda doesn't look as good, and fescue is really hard to sustain. By the end of June through the middle of August you almost can keep up with it mowed once a week. It will go dormant in the winter and takes a while in the spring to green up. You'll need to low cut it every spring, which takes alot of work becasue its so thick. But to me, and where I'm located its the best looking turf during the summer.

ljhanson12345
08-04-2009, 12:37 AM
oh yeah; i like it

Kutz Lawns
08-04-2009, 01:26 AM
The hotter & drier it is, the better it grows!

I'm in the process of converting my back yard over to Zoysia grass and it's coming along real well in this dry summer heat here.

I didn't use plugs like everyone else, I bought a half skid of Zoysia sod and cut each piece into three's and used patches and now I have a polka dot green grass backyard. All the old fesque grass is dry and dormant and the new Zoysia is nice & green.

The type of Zoysia I used is called Compadre and it's an early spring green up type Zoysia grass, deep green color, stands up tall and spreads like crazy!

In about two years it should all be Zoysia once it's filled it's way in.

ericbl
08-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I planted Jamur in November, gorgeous, plush, and tuff, it grows very dense having hell cutting it with my Toro lawn mower, I have to sharpen my blades about every three cuttings. but great looking grass

puppypaws
08-05-2009, 02:06 AM
I planted Jamur in November, gorgeous, plush, and tuff, it grows very dense having hell cutting it with my Toro lawn mower, I have to sharpen my blades about every three cuttings. but great looking grass

Is it not best to cut Zoysia with a reel mower at about 1"?

Kutz Lawns
08-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Is it not best to cut Zoysia with a reel mower at about 1"?

I cut mine at about 2 inches and it seems to like that!

And yes, the blades have to be extremely sharp!

Walker goes right through it!

puppypaws
08-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I cut mine at about 2 inches and it seems to like that!

And yes, the blades have to be extremely sharp!

Walker goes right through it!

That is interesting, I have a friend that has asked my advice on killing Common Bermuda in his Zoysia grass in SC. I've had a tremendous amount of schooling and practical use of herbicides, insecticides and fungicides in my farming operation for around forty years, but have never dealt with Zoysia grass. I have him set up to use .14 oz of Fusilade II and surfactant per 1000 sq. ft., knowing this is for suppression, to apply a full rate would kill the Zoysia as well. There is also a chemical named Ornamec which is the same chemical compound, only weaker. Fluazifop is the killing compound name, but you must be careful, the wording on their label is used to cover themselves of any liability.

QUOTE:

WEED CONTROL IN DESIRABLE TURFGRASS
For the suppression and/or control of Common Bermudagrass, Hybrid Bermudagrass and other grass weeds in Zoysia and Tall Fescue. Not for use on home lawns.

Damian
08-05-2009, 02:32 PM
This is an interesting topic... we started doing a couple of lawns here that are Zoysia and I had no idea how it should be cut at first. We've been cutting it at 3.75" just because that was about the height it was being cut at when we started. While it is very hot and dry here, you're saying that we should really be cutting it lower? I'd hate to do that and come back the next week and see a brown lawn instead of the lush green it is now.

I can't wait for the season of Not Summer to get here...

ericbl
08-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I spoke to the growers here "Dougets" and was informed that I should keep the grass at about 2" it's optimum for my area of southeast Texas. my fert schedule and with the high volumes of rain (6.5" during the last two weeks) really made the grass take off, I am going to mow every other day to get the height down to 2". (hopefully the one day recovery will be enough). Perhaps once I get the height down it will not be as hard on the blades. He also stated that I may wish to cut back on one of my fert applications after one complete cycle. currently as follows.
Late Feb. 15-5-10
Late March 19-4-10
Late June 19-4-10
November winterizer
He also stated to use Chelated iron once I cut back on the fert schedule to keep it green if needed.

Richard Martin
08-05-2009, 04:02 PM
This is an interesting topic... we started doing a couple of lawns here that are Zoysia and I had no idea how it should be cut at first. We've been cutting it at 3.75" just because that was about the height it was being cut at when we started. While it is very hot and dry here, you're saying that we should really be cutting it lower? I'd hate to do that and come back the next week and see a brown lawn instead of the lush green it is now.

I can't wait for the season of Not Summer to get here...

DO NOT CUT IT LOWER AT THIS TIME. You could really damage it by cutting it that low when it's being stresses by summer heat and drought. Wait until it cools down for the season as in late fall or early next spring. It goes dormant over the winter and it can be cut down at that time too.

I used to cut my customers at 2-3/4" and they liked that height.

puppypaws
08-05-2009, 05:03 PM
I spoke to the growers here "Dougets" and was informed that I should keep the grass at about 2" it's optimum for my area of southeast Texas. my fert schedule and with the high volumes of rain (6.5" during the last two weeks) really made the grass take off, I am going to mow every other day to get the height down to 2". (hopefully the one day recovery will be enough). Perhaps once I get the height down it will not be as hard on the blades. He also stated that I may wish to cut back on one of my fert applications after one complete cycle. currently as follows.
Late Feb. 15-5-10
Late March 19-4-10
Late June 19-4-10
November winterizer
He also stated to use Chelated iron once I cut back on the fert schedule to keep it green if needed.

I thought it appeared you are using excessive nitrogen. This came from the Soysia experts.

QUOTE:

1) Ideally zoysiagrass should be cut at 0.5 to 1.5 inches. Mowing frequency is just as important as mowing height. If more than one-third of the leaf height is removed at mowing, the grass will be stressed.

2) Fertility: 2 pounds of N per 1000 square feet per year is all that is needed by zoysiagrasses. Excessive nitrogen. Although higher N rates produce greener grass, it also reduces the slow-growth characteristics of the grass, increases mowing and irrigation requirements, often increases bermudagrass invasion, and will increase thatch and associated problems.

ericbl
08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I thought it appeared you are using excessive nitrogen. This came from the Soysia experts.

QUOTE:

1) Ideally zoysiagrass should be cut at 0.5 to 1.5 inches. Mowing frequency is just as important as mowing height. If more than one-third of the leaf height is removed at mowing, the grass will be stressed.

2) Fertility: 2 pounds of N per 1000 square feet per year is all that is needed by zoysiagrasses. Excessive nitrogen. Although higher N rates produce greener grass, it also reduces the slow-growth characteristics of the grass, increases mowing and irrigation requirements, often increases bermudagrass invasion, and will increase thatch and associated problems.

Understood Puppypaws, main reason for the original schedule was to establish the lawn, hence eliminating one of the applications the second year. the schedule is from Randy Lemmon garden guru here on the Texas Gulf Coast http://www.ktrh.com/pages/gardenline2.html the data I received stated in my post is from Bladerunner Turf Farm, and Dougets Turf farm, the Douget family patented the Jamur version of Zoysia and I purchased it from one of their turf farms here locally, David Douget stated that they keep it mowed around 1/2"-1" at the turf farms but in their yards at 2". I guess mainly due to the heat in our area and lack of irrigation that homeowners have in comparison. He stated the Jamur is very drought resistant and will go dormant if too stressed. He also stated that they have not seen an issue with thatch build up, which was good to hear because I think I gave it a pretty good chance to.

cpa4t9r
08-06-2009, 12:38 PM
That is interesting, I have a friend that has asked my advice on killing Common Bermuda in his Zoysia grass in SC. I've had a tremendous amount of schooling and practical use of herbicides, insecticides and fungicides in my farming operation for around forty years, but have never dealt with Zoysia grass. I have him set up to use .14 oz of Fusilade II and surfactant per 1000 sq. ft., knowing this is for suppression, to apply a full rate would kill the Zoysia as well. There is also a chemical named Ornamec which is the same chemical compound, only weaker. Fluazifop is the killing compound name, but you must be careful, the wording on their label is used to cover themselves of any liability.

QUOTE:

WEED CONTROL IN DESIRABLE TURFGRASS
For the suppression and/or control of Common Bermudagrass, Hybrid Bermudagrass and other grass weeds in Zoysia and Tall Fescue. Not for use on home lawns.

Puppy - See if this is any help for your friend in SC.

puppypaws
08-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Puppy - See if this is any help for your friend in SC.

Thank you very much, the article is interesting and I will send it to him immediately. :):):)

dave k
08-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I have Emerald Zoysia, cut it with my reel at 1", looks good when its healthy, but this past year it was hit hard by fungus and grubs! Cost a small fortune to get it under control.
Even at 1" when I cut it with my reel, when I cut it with my Walker and set it at 1.5" I still get clippings in area, not sure why.
If I had to do it again I would go with a Hybrid Bermuda or a different Zoysia.

ericbl
08-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Dave, Im in the process of cutting my Jamur from 4" to 2", in 3/8" increments. Having to cut every other day to get progress. I end up with clippings in the yard. I couldn’t cut more than 1/3 if I wanted to. its very thick and hearty. Once I get it to two inches hopefully I will not have a problem.

greendoctor
08-07-2009, 02:39 AM
I have Emerald Zoysia, cut it with my reel at 1", looks good when its healthy, but this past year it was hit hard by fungus and grubs! Cost a small fortune to get it under control.
Even at 1" when I cut it with my reel, when I cut it with my Walker and set it at 1.5" I still get clippings in area, not sure why.
If I had to do it again I would go with a Hybrid Bermuda or a different Zoysia.

Hybrid bermuda would be easier to cut, true. However, it looks like crap unless it is cut at less than 1" with a reel mower. It also grows fast enough to need a mowing every third day and even that is not enough.

ArTurf
08-09-2009, 01:13 PM
On my nice zoysia lawns that are irrigated and well maintained I am going 3" plus. I can't see cutting them lower although it is recommended in some of the things you read.

ratodd
08-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks guys, By the way I'm in south Ga. and the yard I'm doing has alot of sun light not much shade, and I'm using a Walker GHS mower to cut it.