PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on naming a business

chevycrazyman
08-03-2009, 09:45 PM
An interesting topic that i would like to hear some opinions on:

When naming a business, do you prefer to use you own name... Smith Landscaping; Bradley Lawn Maintance...

or

using a generic name, as in Perfection lawn care .... you get the idea.

On this forum, i see pretty much equal use of the two.

The advantage i see in using a generic name is if the time or opportunity comes to sell the business, you name wont be on a business you dont owe, and the business will appear better to buyers. But using your own name may help with advertising, especially if you grew up in the town your service, friends will use and recommend you services...i hope this makes sence

what do you guys think

JT Rock
08-03-2009, 10:05 PM
was kinda wondering that myself, just starting out and stuck on the name part.. I dont want to be haokey or to boushy sounding

thegreenreaper
08-04-2009, 01:47 PM
i like the fact of not using your name for the reason you mentioned. selling the business

SangerLawn
08-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I prefer using my name, it gives a personal touch. I allow my work to do my advertising. Not saying there is anything wrong with making up a name but I am completely happy allowing my customers to know who I am.

SangerLawn
08-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Donít use Crazy Manís Lawn Care,,,,more then likely you wont get many callsÖ.just a thought lol

LandscapemanFL
08-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I have seen a lot of wild names in the years. I would go with something with a professional touch.

clean_cut
08-04-2009, 03:44 PM
I think that using your own name doesn't sound as professional, "Bill's Landscaping" sounds like a guy that is mowing for a few months in the summer compared to "Four Seasons Landscaping" "A-1 Lawn Service" "Paradise Lawn Service" all sound like a professional business, not just someone with a truck and a push mower. Just my opinion though.

Kutz Lawns
08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I used my last name which is just perfect for a professional lawn service!

I have gotten a few calls just because they liked the name!

CHRIS MELROSE
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Name it whatever sounds good and describes exactly what you do. To many people use the word "landscape" or "landscaping" in their name because they think it makes them look more professional and technical, but in reality all they do is cut lawns.

bohiaa
08-05-2009, 09:29 PM
After learning about names. "rather image" I was shocked. of corse we do live in an adult world. it's not that is's lieing. but it may be a bit deciptive.

anyone ever have a MRS. SMITH'S PIE ?????

well guess what ? you got it. there is NO Mrs Smith...

Bartle's and James?

CheapScapesNC
08-05-2009, 09:36 PM
If you can come up with something clever, they'll remember that name when they Google you...

silverado212
08-06-2009, 10:13 PM
My fiancee is a hair dresser. And it is her business. So thought the name fit.