PDA

View Full Version : 06 F-250 Powerstroke question

Kickin Your Grass
08-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I just bought a 06 F-250 crew cab with a powerstroke diesel. The truck has 32,000 miles. I am towing a 16' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer with all my equipment.I am getting 9.25 mpg mostly city driving. This does not seem right to me! I was expecting more.

Does anyone here have any experiance with this truck that could tell me what they are getting?

MileHigh
08-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I tow around 5k daily and get 14 - 15 MPG in mile high altitude with the same 6.0 PSD. Without a load I can go 502 miles with 26 gallons of diesel. Mine is a 04 though.

Your getting robbed my friend.

My neighbor has an 06" PSD just like you and is having similar problems...He drove from colorado to Iowa and got 12.6MPG on the highway.

Change out both fuel filters, change oil/filter, air filter, and run a cetane boost.

Hey keep in mind though that your diesel only has 32k on it.....It doesn't break in untill 100k

wellbuilt
08-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I get 10 around town I have a 6.0 PS . My 03 excursion 15 / 17 with the same trailer . Couldn'T tell you why?

badbart
08-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Let me guess...your Excursion has the 7.3 in it?

FYS777
08-03-2009, 10:06 PM
shoulda got a dodge diesel.

esnipe8
08-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Unfortunately that sounds right to me. We have a 2006 and 2008 both have service bodies and usually tow between 5-7k. And they both get between 9-10. Not good but tons of power!

WalkerMike98
08-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Get a cummins.

castlerockmo
08-03-2009, 11:20 PM
My 05 6.0 got a bout the same until it hit a 100,000 now I get about 1-2 miles better, mine is also a one ton dualy u should get a little better than me. I agree the cummins get better gas mileage, but is only have the truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Gravel Rat
08-04-2009, 03:25 AM
I don't know whats wrong with your truck. I get 12mpg with my 03 F-450 that weighs 9700lbs empty and drive on 10% grades every day.

I would be checking the air filter and see if you don't have any brakes dragging.

taterlawn
08-04-2009, 01:44 PM
My dad gets 15 in a F-450 7.3 PSD pulling a 6 horse slant heart horse trailer

Something is wrong, check your filters and injectors

castlerockmo
08-04-2009, 01:50 PM
No the 7.3 gets a lot better milage. My dad has a 550 and a new a 450! I have already had it to the dealership and replaced an injector. The 6.0 was the start of the envormental crap! That's why and just drivin I get bout 15 pulling my mowers I get about 11 and a gooseneck with sod or a skidloader I get bout 8-9. I also live in a very hilly part of the country (sw missouri).
Posted via Mobile Device

taterlawn
08-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah the 7.3 was the definition of a powerstroke, the 6.0s are good trucks but dont match the 7.3

castlerockmo
08-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I read ford and international are splitting ways and ford is going to build there own because of the 6.0. But I love my 6.0 it ran well. Nothing like 7 3 though
Posted via Mobile Device

TXNSLighting
08-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Weird my bro in laws 06 6.0 gets 18 hwy, and 14-15 in town..been a fantastic truck.

ALLPro Landscaping
08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Ill put my two sense in, first off never buy a used 6.0. Without the warranty you will jump off the nearest bridge, forget about the mileage problem I hope you will be looking forward to the head jobs you'll be paying your guy to do. And yes the 6.0 gets bad mileage, it gets better mileage then the newer 6.4 diesels in the new fords, but unless you have one the 7.3 or the cummins you will live a miserable life. believe me, you made a bad mistake. If you keep the truck, don't tune it keep it stock, maintain it, and watch the temperature gauge.l

ALLPro Landscaping
08-05-2009, 12:51 AM
castlerockmo this is toward you injectors, thats cause of the liberal tree huggers, and their clen diesel bs. with the 6.0 you will go through injectors, just like the 7.3 and the cummins 5.9 only because their is not enough lubrication in the new liberal diesel fuel. My dads has over 300.000 on his 7.3, he rebuilt the trans, and recently he had to replace all the injectors, thanks tree huggers.

castlerockmo
08-05-2009, 12:54 AM
I have had mine for over a year and has been a great truck, knock on wood! But I was told by the ford head tech that it is hit or miss with them. He said some guys like em better than their 7.3, I don't know how but mine is good! Really no problems. I will say that the cummins is a good motor, but the dodge sucks. My dad also has a sterling bullet with the new cummins and a dodge along with a 7.3 and a 6.4. Though the milage stinks on the 6.4 it pulls as good as the dodge did to me! Do any of you know were the fuel fillters are on the 6.0, I know their drop ins but I haven't really looked for em? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

taterlawn
08-05-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm with you there the cummins is a great engine but they wrap them in crap but all and all you can't out pull a 7.3 PSD

ZTR_Diesel
08-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I just bought a 06 F-250 crew cab with a powerstroke diesel. The truck has 32,000 miles. I am towing a 16' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer with all my equipment.I am getting 9.25 mpg mostly city driving. This does not seem right to me! I was expecting more.

Does anyone here have any experiance with this truck that could tell me what they are getting?

Take it to your local Ford dealer and have them update the flash on the ECM. It's probably just in need of a re-flash, and you will likely see a mileage improvement. Also ask if they will run an OASIS report on it (they will know) and go from there. A properly flashed 6.0L in a 250 ought to be at least 11 - 13 mpg with a light trailer unless heavily loaded. How does it do unloaded?

brandon9996
08-05-2009, 10:51 PM

Hey man i thought i would try and help you out a little, my work truck is an 06 F-250 6.0 as well and i get 15.2 pulling my trailer and mower. There are a few things i would check, first i'd check the filters and if they are in good shape then i would say you probably have a leak in the up pipe to the turbo collector, that usually drops the fuel mileage. Hope i could help a little.

wellbuilt
08-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Let me guess...your Excursion has the 7.3 in it? NO My EX is a 6.0 PS . Ive had some small problems with the computer burning up . The oil filter housing cracked and shot oil on some electric sensors that caused some problems for a few weeks . My power steering pump rubbed a hole in my lower radiator hose . ( my wife was driving around with no water in the radiator ) I dropped the truck off to ford and they change some sensors and charged me 800 bucks ?? My wife told me the truck was still running funny , when i looked at it I checked the oil then the water. Bingo NO freaking water . I cant believe no one even looked at the truck and they charged me . Now the truck has 75,000 miles . I think my battery are dead , because Ive been jumping the truck every other week for a few months . I have a bad clunk in the front end The truck has a 6" lift with 35" tires . I think my rear spring bushing are worn out but cant get them to move . Anyone have front end problems????
I change trucks every 100,00 mils and never have a problem with them . I have a 4.5 PS and it runs good but i can see the fuel needle move when I'm pulling a trailer.
And Yes my EX gets close to 20 mpg highway in the summer on hot days with the wind behind it. My 7.3s gets about 15/16 .

sc0tt250
08-19-2009, 11:28 PM
there were changes between the 03-04 6.0L and the 05-07. my friend gets between 16 and 19 in his 03 and my dads is a 05 and will NOT get close to that. 05 and up had to meet stricter emissions

and if your expecting decent mileage with the 6.0, you would want to chip it.... but everyones heard about the famous problems with them! straight piping the trucks helps you gain a mile or 2

Summit L & D
08-22-2009, 04:35 PM
NO My EX is a 6.0 PS . Ive had some small problems with the computer burning up . The oil filter housing cracked and shot oil on some electric sensors that caused some problems for a few weeks . My power steering pump rubbed a hole in my lower radiator hose . ( my wife was driving around with no water in the radiator ) I dropped the truck off to ford and they change some sensors and charged me 800 bucks ?? My wife told me the truck was still running funny , when i looked at it I checked the oil then the water. Bingo NO freaking water . I cant believe no one even looked at the truck and they charged me . Now the truck has 75,000 miles . I think my battery are dead , because Ive been jumping the truck every other week for a few months . I have a bad clunk in the front end The truck has a 6" lift with 35" tires . I think my rear spring bushing are worn out but cant get them to move . Anyone have front end problems????
I change trucks every 100,00 mils and never have a problem with them . I have a 4.5 PS and it runs good but i can see the fuel needle move when I'm pulling a trailer.
And Yes my EX gets close to 20 mpg highway in the summer on hot days with the wind behind it. My 7.3s gets about 15/16 .

As far as the clunk. Ours had one from about 100k - 190k miles (when we sold it). We replaced the hubs and a few different things but were never able to make it go away. It didn't seem to affect the 4x4, tire wear or drivability.

GWhunter
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
The mpg is going to vary with the gear ratio's. The 3.73 will get the best mileage. I average about 16mpg, no real change between city/highway. The sweet spot for the rpms is just under 2k. As far as comparing the 7.3 vs 6.0 the 7.3 is without a doubt a legend and super work horse. I've had both and the 6.0 is much more powerful with a heavy load than the 7.3( look at the hp and torque #'s). The cummins is a super good engine also but the trannys are junk. I know everyone says the manuals are a good option and I agree just make sure you get the 6 speed and not the 5. A friend has had major issues with his. The 6.0 in the later years had the least warranty claims of any ford diesels. They're a complicated engine and the longterm reliabilty suffers from this. The bad news is the newer diesels a just getting more complicated and alot worse mpg.

Matt:hammerhead: