PDA

View Full Version : hope I'm on the right track just one piece away

JT Rock
08-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Alright fellers and fellerettes, I have been considering opening up a lawncare business for a year now. I feel I have the right circumstance now to go forward.

I have a Backpack blower

Line trimmer

Rakes and all other tools

Purchasing a trailer

Just need a proper mower.. I was at a husqvarna dealer and was real impressed with the 19 hp 46in zero turn mower, went to lowes and saw the John Deere, frankly with my uneducated opinion I though it was a ripoff, then the dude their was talking about a troybilt 25hp 50 in. Well of course this got me all happy, till I got home and read the reviews that told me to run away like it was the plague...

Now I will be working till 2pm everyday at my fulltime job, then going to hop on the mower the rest of the time. I want to be smart and responsible here not buying a shatload of expensive equipment for a mi-nute number of lawns.. The idea is to buy in proportion to what I have for jobs. I know to not do commercial yet and not get into to deep until I have my feet under me.

I live in Ct and am a 1099 benefits consultant for AFLAC . I just want to start with lawns, mulch and jump on the fall clean up train since its right around the corner and as I get educated on aeroating, pruning, planting etc then I will incorporate...

Am I on the right track and what mower do I get?

Thanks

dKoester
08-03-2009, 10:50 PM
As for a mower, don't get anything big yet. Get a good used walk behind, and set a budget for advertising to get some accounts. Also get some certifications under your belt. Helps separate fact from fiction when talking to a customer. You don't want to think you know whats correct. You need to know whats correct.

STIHL GUY
08-04-2009, 01:25 AM
a used commercial WB will suit you well