PDA

View Full Version : ...is it safe to ask a question here? I'm confused?

krupatex
08-04-2009, 02:51 AM
Can a new guy to the industry come here to ask an honest question with out being slammed by "forum cool guys"????? I mean, it is called the "Starting a Lawn Care & Landscaping Business". I don't understand why some veteran "post-a-holics" have such a problem with new guy questions??? Not everyone was born with lawn brain. If you where like me, when you first logged onto Lawnsite, you wore this link out! You guys need to relax and let people enjoy and use this forum like it was intended. Either help folks or go some where else. We all start somewhere, remember that.

Sorry but this erks me.

Good luck to anyone who has an open mind and who truely enjoys "OUR" line of work!

...Chase

bohiaa
08-04-2009, 08:51 AM
it does get old, doesn't it

krupatex
08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
I just hate seeing these guys that have important questions, be repremanded for asking something that they didn't know had already been asked several times before. If someone new to the site and needs help with a question, we as more senior members need to do what we can to help them navigate themselves more efficiently. I think it's childish to be an @$$ to these guys.

White Gardens
08-04-2009, 09:28 AM
To each their own.

There is one group of people, such as you and myself, that thinks , "there is no such thing as a stupid question". Everyone has to start somewhere and to me asking a question is a willingness to learn.

But then you have another group of guys that will hammer anyone that has a question as simple as how to use a shovel. I understand why those questions are frustrating. I think it mostly comes from the fact that if you want to start your own business and be a professional, then you need to know some basic things about the Lawn and Landscaping industry.

Hypothetically, if I decide tomorrow to open a welding business (I have no clue how to weld). The last thing I'm going to do is weld on something. My first order of business would be to take some classes or at least hire some educated people on the subject.

Ultimately, when the threads on here start to take a wrong direction, I stay away. Sure it's entertaining, but I don't have to time or energy to argue regardless who is right or wrong.

JB1
08-04-2009, 09:31 AM
To each their own.

There is one group of people, such as you and myself, that thinks , "there is no such thing as a stupid question". Everyone has to start somewhere and to me asking a question is a willingness to learn.

But then you have another group of guys that will hammer anyone that has a question as simple as how to use a shovel. I understand why those questions are frustrating. I think it mostly comes from the fact that if you want to start your own business and be a professional, then you need to know some basic things about the Lawn and Landscaping industry.

Hypothetically, if I decide tomorrow to open a welding business (I have no clue how to weld). The last thing I'm going to do is weld on something. My first order of business would be to take some classes or at least hire some educated people on the subject.

Ultimately, when the threads on here start to take a wrong direction, I stay away. Sure it's entertaining, but I don't have to time or energy to argue regardless who is right or wrong.

your right about entertaining, its better here than a comedy club.

clean_cut
08-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I guess the guys that have been here for 5 years get tired of answering the same questions over and over, when the asker just doesn't feel like using the search feature. I love to see all of these peoples questions and I learn a lot from it, but some people need to learn how to use the search feature.

HOOLIE
08-04-2009, 03:22 PM
It's not just the new guys, the guy with the MOST posts probably catches more hell than anybody on here :laugh:

LouisianaLawnboy
08-05-2009, 12:59 AM
I guess the guys that have been here for 5 years get tired of answering the same questions over and over, when the asker just doesn't feel like using the search feature. I love to see all of these peoples questions and I learn a lot from it, but some people need to learn how to use the search feature.

Ya. I'll help with a legitimate question.
Posted via Mobile Device

sweetz
08-05-2009, 01:04 AM
it does get old, doesn't it

Yes it does.:drinkup:

Stillwater
08-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Can a new guy to the industry come here to ask an honest question with out being slammed by "forum cool guys"????? I mean, it is called the "Starting a Lawn Care & Landscaping Business". I don't understand why some veteran "post-a-holics" have such a problem with new guy questions??? Not everyone was born with lawn brain. If you where like me, when you first logged onto Lawnsite, you wore this link out! You guys need to relax and let people enjoy and use this forum like it was intended. Either help folks or go some where else. We all start somewhere, remember that.

Sorry but this erks me.

Good luck to anyone who has an open mind and who truely enjoys "OUR" line of work!

...Chase

In all seriousness... the guys that do that subconsciously tend to not think that highly of themselves. Buy tearing down they boost their ego and get a temporary lift in their esteem.

I been in business a very long time feel free to message me with any question without fear of attack if you have a problem I probably experienced the same.

STIHL GUY
08-06-2009, 12:09 AM
i dont think new people should be scared to ask a question because of the responces they will recieve. i have learned a lot from this site

THC
08-06-2009, 12:31 AM
The two most annoying responses are, Are you licensed (pesticides), and Use the Search function.

TQ Lawn Service
08-06-2009, 12:46 AM
i dont think new people should be scared to ask a question because of the responces they will recieve. i have learned a lot from this site

I agree, I've learned a lot from this site as well. I know that it can get quite annoying reading the same questions, even when answers can be found using the search function. But, a lot of times when the question is asked again, someone else will chime in with a little nugget of info that wasn't offered earlier. Sometimes it pays off for the question to be asked again...then again, sometimes it doesn't.;)

Just my opinion, but I'm new here.:waving:

LouisianaLawnboy
08-06-2009, 12:47 AM
I agree, I've learned a lot from this site as well. I know that it can get quite annoying reading the same questions, even when answers can be found using the search function. But, a lot of times when the question is asked again, someone else will chime in with a little nugget of info that wasn't offered earlier. Sometimes it pays off for the question to be asked again...then again, sometimes it doesn't.;)

Just my opinion, but I'm new here.:waving:

Say that again. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

sweetz
08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
The two most annoying responses are, Are you licensed (pesticides), and Use the Search function.

Are you licensed? LOL:laugh::laugh::laugh::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

JacksonLawns
08-07-2009, 07:41 AM
I feel the same way. I think it is crazy how a group of, as you said "cool guys", pounce on every person that posts a duplicate question (is it really possible to post an industry related question on here that has never been asked in some fashion?) or a "dumb" question. In the Commercial Mowing area there is a thread with a poll of the dumbest questions asked on here. Because of those types of idiots, I always lurk for a while before I ever post on a new board, so I don't "offend" anyone with my ridiculous questions or comments.

How quickly guys forget that they were once the new guy with little to no knowledge.

This board is no different than any other message board though ( I frequent this one, a runners one, a computer one and one for my truck). They are all full of fantastic information and tons of great members, eager to help. Unfortunately, they all have that "cool" group of members who act like they just woke up one day, knowing everything there is to know about anything, and anyone asking a question that they feel is remedial is a complete idiot.

You just have to roll your eyes and move on, helping anyone you can, along the way.

JABBERS
08-07-2009, 08:06 AM
I was always told " if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all":)

CHRIS MELROSE
08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
The pathetic thing is that there actually are some on here who think they are "Cool Guys"......It's a lawn site for the love of God! Real cool!

sweetz
08-07-2009, 09:33 PM
The pathetic thing is that there actually are some on here who think they are "Cool Guys"......It's a lawn site for the love of God! Real cool!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

lazyike
08-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Food for thought.... If someone has 10,000 posts and is always on lawnsite to sound superior, How do they have enough time to run the company the size that they claim to always have.

Alright so it sound more like a fortune cookie.

Stillwater
08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
they will be refered to from hear on out as cool guys with alot of time

LouisianaLawnboy
08-07-2009, 11:36 PM
they will be refered to from hear on out as cool guys with alot of time

Well, then you must be a cool guy because you have nearly 3,000 posts.

Whitey4
08-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Everyone acts like a jerk at least some of the time. 20% act like an A hole all of the time. Everyone else fits somewhere in between. It's life folks... just like our customers.

But, I do have to say, in this industry, based on posts that I have read, far too many people in this industry can't spell, and that means that they are also not very well read, meaning educated, either self or formally educated. Study enough about lawn care, plants, pesticides trees and other related subjects, unless you are flat out stupid, by osmosis, one should be able to type a sentence without a gross misspelling.

I also find that it is often those who lack a grasp of the language are also often the ones who are most abrasive, lack tact, and are quick to lash out while rarely offering helpful advice. The other ones who can't spell make themselves look foolish, and any advice they might offer has to be taken with a grain of salt.

How do people like that write contracts any intelligent customer would sign?

Go ahead, fire away.... at least I can spell.... and can even use the spell checker feature this site offers..... :laugh:

THC
08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Everyone acts like a jerk at least some of the time. 20% act like an A hole all of the time. Everyone else fits somewhere in between. It's life folks... just like our customers.

But, I do have to say, in this industry, based on posts that I have read, far too many people in this industry can't spell, and that means that they are also not very well read, meaning educated, either self or formally educated. Study enough about lawn care, plants, pesticides trees and other related subjects, unless you are flat out stupid, by osmosis, one should be able to type a sentence without a gross misspelling.

I also find that it is often those who lack a grasp of the language are also often the ones who are most abrasive, lack tact, and are quick to lash out while rarely offering helpful advice. The other ones who can't spell make themselves look foolish, and any advice they might offer has to be taken with a grain of salt.

How do people like that write contracts any intelligent customer would sign?

Go ahead, fire away.... at least I can spell.... and can even use the spell checker feature this site offers..... :laugh:I can spell alright but my downfall is my penmanship. When I have to write things out by hand, a receipt or an estimate, it's embarrassing. I'm tempted to take a course in calligraphy. What can you expect when all I do is type?:laugh:

Whitey4
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I can spell alright but my downfall is my penmanship. When I have to write things out by hand, a receipt or an estimate, it's embarrassing. I'm tempted to take a course in calligraphy. What can you expect when all I do is type?:laugh:

If yer a werkin LCO, like me, yer paws are all banged up and crippled. My scribble would not get me thru 3 rd garde. And I misspelled as many werds as I could hear.

SangerLawn
08-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Don’t worry Stillwater. I couldn’t help but to notice some members spend a lot of time on this web site. They haven’t even been a member on this site for a year and have more post then most people do that have been here for years.

I am guessing these members who constantly want to slam on people were busy in school while mommy and daddy took care of them and paid there bills. Now they are grown adults with no work history and unable to find a woman to marry there lazy tails. As a result we all have to deal with grown men that cant get a job, wife, or customers……so….to make there self feel better they sit online 24/7 slamming on people who work for a living to support there families. Personally I wouldn’t pay any attention to them

Stillwater
08-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Donít worry Stillwater. I couldnít help but to notice some members spend a lot of time on this web site. They havenít even been a member on this site for a year and have more post then most people do that have been here for years.

I am guessing these members who constantly want to slam on people were busy in school while mommy and daddy took care of them and paid there bills. Now they are grown adults with no work history and unable to find a woman to marry there lazy tails. As a result we all have to deal with grown men that cant get a job, wife, or customersÖÖsoÖ.to make there self feel better they sit online 24/7 slamming on people who work for a living to support there families. Personally I wouldnít pay any attention to them

you got that right, they sound like a well adjusted group of guys, they have no defense on the context of my words so they change the subject to spelling, i think their bow ties are a little to tight, So mabey I should change the subject again lets say to success and money.

mike333h
08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Donít worry Stillwater. I couldnít help but to notice some members spend a lot of time on this web site. They havenít even been a member on this site for a year and have more post then most people do that have been here for years.

This one was awesome...I could not help but notice the date I joined and how many post I have. I stumble in here from time to time and there is some good info. As far as people responding to the same question asked numerous times....it is like that in every forum site I have ever been to.

Mike

Turfrific
08-11-2009, 11:25 AM
oh ive asked some stupid question trust me some of them i deserved. i still wonder what i was thinking somtimes.

SangerLawn
08-11-2009, 01:46 PM
oh ive asked some stupid question trust me some of them i deserved. i still wonder what i was thinking somtimes.

Lol, this post was not toward the questions. It was to the people who constantly want to leave idiotic no meaning stupid replies that donít do any good for anyone other then waste time. Most of the time if you read a smart aleck reply from someone you will find they have been on this site for less then a year but have several hundred post and almost all of them are smart aleck answers to someoneís real question.

tinman
08-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Folks who don't want to answer a redundant question should not answer it. Search is the proper thing to do but reality is that some people don't do it. There are a lot of "bittermans" on this forum. They hate what they do or hate competition or just life in general. Just ignore people who are not helpful. But accept constructive criticism .

Gregg1987
08-20-2009, 05:09 PM
~ first i will just say.

To those who actually give advice to "stupid questions" thanks.

I am not all knowing and i don't believe anyone truly is. Sometimes even a bigger person or company im sure has a question they don't know.

i have found this site to be a great source of info. the best place overall in all my searching in an attempt to better learn the business and get started.

~ second i will add

For those who are tired of the "stupid questions" who have been here a long time and what not. Honestly i am sorry. At least for me the questions are not meant to be a bother or be the same old restarted questions. i am just looking for honest advice.

Sometimes i can not find a thread with the answer or i don't find it till after. THERE ARE A LOT OF THREADS HERE! lol it takes time to go through them all.

Personally i think if there is nothing helpful to add i don't see a reason to post but that's just me. so far personally i thank everyone here who offers the help and advice! one day i hope i can contribute back.

THANKS GUYS !