PDA

View Full Version : Pre & Post emergent weed control in South Florida St. Augustine & Floritam grasses

jvanvliet
08-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Does any-one have experience in treating St. Augustine grasses with SpeedZone™ St. Augustine Formula & Gallery 75?

:confused:

RAlmaroad
08-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Does any-one have experience in treating St. Augustine grasses with SpeedZone™ St. Augustine Formula & Gallery 75?

:confused:

Yes, I use gallery on Centipede and St. Augustine grasses. The least effect on root pruning. What is your question?

gregory
08-04-2009, 10:13 AM
like roy said whats your question....

jvanvliet
08-05-2009, 06:11 AM
I Have read reports SpeedZone™ St. Augustine Formula is damaging to Floritam lawns and reports that it is not. Since I have a limited application license, I cannot get an Atrazine product with sufficient concentration to be efective so I am considering Speedzone. The question is, does anyone have experience using Speedzone on St.Augustine or Floritam lawns in South Florida (Broward & Palm Beach Counties)? If so, waht was your experience, when did you apply it and at what application rate.

gregory
08-05-2009, 08:40 AM
i have never used speed zone southern so i can not speak about that. ric told me he has used it and had no damnage to flortam i think the rate was .75oz per k like i said i have never used it so i can not say...you might try manor or manision from lesco....add some quicksilver to it also...

Ric
08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I Have read reports SpeedZone™ St. Augustine Formula is damaging to Floritam lawns and reports that it is not. Since I have a limited application license, I cannot get an Atrazine product with sufficient concentration to be efective so I am considering Speedzone. The question is, does anyone have experience using Speedzone on St.Augustine or Floritam lawns in South Florida (Broward & Palm Beach Counties)? If so, waht was your experience, when did you apply it and at what application rate.

jvanvliet

Since you only have a LIMITED Application License, You can not LEGALLY treat Turf Grass with any Pesticide let alone purchase RUP products. If this is your ""OWN"" yard, then go to Home Depot and buy Weed Be Gone which is Homeowner 3 way herbicide.

Speedzone was originally labelled for Floratam, But a Law suit by a Tampa based company had Gordons take Floratam off the label, but they left other St Augustine cultivars on the label. I have never used Speedzone, but I do use other 3 way herbicides of very similar formulation. This time of year with higher than normal temperature, 3 way herbicides are a very bad choice and have heat restrictions on the label. While I have used 3 Way Herbicides at lower rates in summer, there is always a chance of burning Floratam Turf.

My personal advice to you is to hire a Real Licenced Professional to do turf grass and Learn the Limitations of your very Limited License.

gregory
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
there you go from the horse's mouth....

jvanvliet
08-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Thank you for the information regarding my limited application license. I'm sure that may be true in your state but in Florida, as I am able to apply any non-restriced pesticide to any lawn for a fee in Florida. That's why i got the license, to be able to treat my customers L & O. The limitation is that I am unable to use any mechanized equipment. All applications must be done by hand sprayer or backpack.

olive123
08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
WRONG.. You can apply to any caution label product to landscaping NOT turf. You also cannot advertise for pest control. That is why they call it the "roundup liscence". Look it up on the dacs website.

jvanvliet
08-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I stand corrected. What a monumental waste of time, energy and money for a frigging license to apply round up. leave it to the gvt.:rolleyes:

Ric
08-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I stand corrected. What a monumental waste of time, energy and money for a frigging license to apply round up. leave it to the gvt.:rolleyes:

jvanvliet

No, you didn't take the time or trouble to learn or understand what propose of a Limited Pesticide License is. I don't think that is State of Florida's Fault.

BTW First offense fines can be well into 4 figures. The fact you have a limited Pesticide License increase those fines because you have received training and should know the law.

Florida Gardener
08-05-2009, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't say it's a waste as you can treat ornamental plant problems meaning more money in your pocket if you actually care to do it.

jvanvliet
08-06-2009, 06:01 AM
I wouldn't say it's a waste as you can treat ornamental plant problems meaning more money in your pocket if you actually care to do it.

You are right of course, and I do treat the planting beds, principally for weeds and minor insect infestations.

And if Ric is reading this; Ric, you might try and temper your zealousy with some restraint. There is no need for your kind of vitriol particularly since we visit this forum for information and enlightenment. I have been enlightened since reading the statute... in large degree thanks to you.

Ric
08-06-2009, 09:33 AM
You are right of course, and I do treat the planting beds, principally for weeds and minor insect infestations.

And if Ric is reading this; Ric, you might try and temper your zealousy with some restraint. There is no need for your kind of vitriol particularly since we visit this forum for information and enlightenment. I have been enlightened since reading the statute... in large degree thanks to you.

jvanvliet

Some people need to be hit over the with a baseball bat before they understand. Since you have a Limited Pesticide License and had the Law explained to you in your CEU class, It appears to me, you are one of those people.

Just to pound home my point. I hope after a 6 hr CEU class and a 50 question test on the same day any "Smarter Than a 5th Grader" can pass, you realize how little training you have had. To Legally Treat turf in Florida you need either a College Degree in Horticulture and one year working under a CPO, or 3 years working under a CPO to sit for a 200 question test and select not the correct answer but the Most correct answer.

I might be zealous, but at least you now know the law. Whether you follow the law is up to you. But IMHO you are stealing money out of the pockets of those of us who have put in the sweat and time to be legal and know what we are doing.

gregory
08-06-2009, 10:00 AM
i have to agree with ric.. the question i have here for you is did you not ask or find out what you could and could not spray before you took the test to me that important info YOU should have known before taking the test and it seems like you didn't and then when you found out that you couldn't spray turf you blamed it on the state well its not the states fault you didn't know what test you were taking and why thats your fault

CJonesLawnTree
10-13-2009, 05:04 PM
man, is this a public hanging or what?

CJonesLawnTree
10-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I thought I've researched this enough, but maybe those in this forum can lend some more info. The limited license allows for the application of fertilizers though right? Just not pesticides/fungacides/herbicides on turf...so you can fertilizer turf, plants, anything...just not use weed-n-feed...right??? Please dont hang me if i'm wrong.

CJonesLawnTree
10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
regardless of a degree however, the PCO i work under explained to me that you have to work under someone's license for 3 years no matter what...even if you have a masters in 4 different horticulture fields.

Ric
10-13-2009, 06:45 PM
regardless of a degree however, the PCO i work under explained to me that you have to work under someone's license for 3 years no matter what...even if you have a masters in 4 different horticulture fields.

Jones

Rather than me type a bunch of stuff you won't believe any way. Google the Fla. BEPC and read the requirements to sit for the test yourself. Your CPO is wrong about the education requirements.

As far as public hanging go. Some people are still going to break law regardless of how high you hang them.

Landscape Poet
12-19-2009, 08:46 PM
jvanvliet

Since you only have a LIMITED Application License, You can not LEGALLY treat Turf Grass with any Pesticide let alone purchase RUP products. If this is your ""OWN"" yard, then go to Home Depot and buy Weed Be Gone which is Homeowner 3 way herbicide.

Speedzone was originally labelled for Floratam, But a Law suit by a Tampa based company had Gordons take Floratam off the label, but they left other St Augustine cultivars on the label. I have never used Speedzone, but I do use other 3 way herbicides of very similar formulation. This time of year with higher than normal temperature, 3 way herbicides are a very bad choice and have heat restrictions on the label. While I have used 3 Way Herbicides at lower rates in summer, there is always a chance of burning Floratam Turf.

My personal advice to you is to hire a Real Licenced Professional to do turf grass and Learn the Limitations of your very Limited License.

The OP in either his second or third post stated that it was Floratam Lawn - According to the package directions on Weed-B-Gone - this product is not safe on Floratam even though it draws in the homeowners down here with the words "Safe for Southern Turf".

Ric
12-20-2009, 09:10 PM
The OP in either his second or third post stated that it was Floratam Lawn - According to the package directions on Weed-B-Gone - this product is not safe on Floratam even though it draws in the homeowners down here with the words "Safe for Southern Turf".

Michael

First I want to thank you for bring up a 3 month old thread just to correct me.

However I don't buy my chemicals from Homeowner retail outlets and therefore don't read those labels. But 50% of manufactures of 3 way herbicides list Floratam as a susceptible and 50% list it as Tolerant. I personally have had no set back on Floratam when using 3 way herbicide.

jvanvliet
12-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Geez... now I remember why I don't ask any questions here. By the way Ric... aw never mind.. well OK here it goes anyway.

Merry Christmas Ric. God loves you even when nobody elso can.

Landscape Poet
12-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Michael

First I want to thank you for bring up a 3 month old thread just to correct me.

However I don't buy my chemicals from Homeowner retail outlets and therefore don't read those labels. But 50% of manufactures of 3 way herbicides list Floratam as a susceptible and 50% list it as Tolerant. I personally have had no set back on Floratam when using 3 way herbicide.

Ric - not looking to so much correct you as I was just looking to make sure the original poster new this. I think everyone on here knows that you are very intelligent and know your products. The reason I know this and thought it was important, was when I first moved to FL I went to Lowes or Home Depot and thought well I will just pick up some Weed B Gone as it had proved to be a decent product for homeowners at my last home in the Midwest. Since the product was very misleading by saying "Safe for Southern Turf" I did not even think about it until I got home and read the instructions. I actually had a client that did the same thing this year, had dollar weeds all around the edge of her beds. I informed her that I thought she could prevent if she did not water her beds as much. She did not like that idea went out and bought Weed B gone at a retail store and placed on her Floratam - although it did not kill the grass it did yellow it and seem to stress it where it was applied. I called Weed B Gone's hotline on the back for her. They stated that it does not always kill floratam however it has been known too.
So again Ric - not trying to correct you - was just trying to help the OP out since the suggestion was made - I have not been given a reason to not trust your input Ric.