PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate - Aerate, Slice Seed, Fert 30K sq ft

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Am looking to seed an existing 30K sq ft lawn. Originally hydroseeded with a very poor blend of mainly rye. I plan to introduce more KBG and a little Fescue with the seeding.

With Aeration, Slice Seeding, and Starter Fert, looking to charge right around $1,050 for this lawn. $35/K. Any upper midwest guys out there care to chime in on this?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Bump - I know someone out there thinks my pricing is too low:)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Bump, again. Just looking for a couple opinions, guys.

mdlwn1
08-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Your question cant be answered. How thin is it? how flat is it? Difficulty level? Do you mean aerate the whole thing snd slice the bare spots? Are you gonna charge them for a new lawn that kicks azz or just to do the work? If its that bad..your gonna have to feed it more than once and make sure the water is sufficient to make your work effective. Like I said unanswerable question.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-05-2009, 08:15 PM
50-75% coverage with rye currently. I am going to aerate the whole thing and slice the whole thing. I need to get some KBG and fescue introduced. I already have the fert account for these guys, so ferting is not an issue. The seeding will not be watered, this is a grocery store, I would get laughed out of the building if I told them to water their whole lawn. I know that proper watering is key - but I just cannot control that in this case - I will have to seed at the best time climate wise when some rains are expected. Shoot, Trubrown broadcasts seed as part of their fall app and I am sure no homeowners water that. At least I am trying to get good seed/soil contact.

If not slice seeding, then what are my options? I don't want to just patch seed, the whole lawn REALLY does need better varieties of turfgrasses introduced.

ffemtmcd
08-05-2009, 08:20 PM
That's about the rate down here - don't know what your area brings in though - sounds fair.

bigslick7878
08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
No water?

Good luck.

I would wait about 4 weeks and the timing has to be just right, like right before some heavy rains that usually come in the fall.

No water = minimal germination.

I would look into putting some penn mulch on top as well,that is going to cost a bit of money though with that size lawn.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-05-2009, 10:03 PM
No water?

Good luck.

I would wait about 4 weeks and the timing has to be just right, like right before some heavy rains that usually come in the fall.

I would look into putting some penn mulch on top as well,that is going to cost a bit of money though with that size lawn.

I fully realize no water besides timely (hopefully) rainfall is not a very good scenario. But, again, I cannot control that. It simply isn't going to be done - and this lawn has no irrigation. Given the circumstance, is there a better route that I can go to get some seed out on this thin ryegrass lawn and have reasonable germination.

bigslick7878
08-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I fully realize no water besides timely (hopefully) rainfall is not a very good scenario. But, again, I cannot control that. It simply isn't going to be done - and this lawn has no irrigation. Given the circumstance, is there a better route that I can go to get some seed out on this thin ryegrass lawn and have reasonable germination.

Like I said wait until Sept when soil is at its warmest so you have fastest possible gremination, wait until you are going to get a deluge of rain for a couple days, and throw some penn mulch on top so that when the rain hits it saturates it and that will stay moist for a few days minimum.

In ideal conditions you can get seed to germinate in 7-8 days (fescue,not bluegrass) so if you time it right you can probably keep the seed moist for about 5 which is about as good as you can do in your situation.

If you really time it right look for a forecast of 1-2 days of rain, then a break for a few days and then more rain.That will keep the seed wet for at least a week and you should have good results.

Honestly you have a much better chance of a forecast like this in early Sept then you do now with summer weather patterns.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-05-2009, 10:36 PM
slick - I fully intend to do this job (if accepted ) right around early to mid September.
Thanks for the advice. I do hope in this case, we don't run a long fall dry streak. If it does become deathly dry in prime fall seeding time, I would probably call the mgr. and advise I am holding off this year.

What did you think of my pricing? Tried to figure my costs and time as best I could, and added in some buffer.

bigslick7878
08-05-2009, 11:11 PM
slick - I fully intend to do this job (if accepted ) right around early to mid September.
Thanks for the advice. I do hope in this case, we don't run a long fall dry streak. If it does become deathly dry in prime fall seeding time, I would probably call the mgr. and advise I am holding off this year.

What did you think of my pricing? Tried to figure my costs and time as best I could, and added in some buffer.

Just of the top of my head the pricing looks OK.

The seed should be about $400.(quality seed)

Some starter fert about $60

Aeration for that size takes about 2 hours..maybe a little more.

Seeder same.

Overseed 1 hour.

Now if you throw in some penn mulch that stuff can add up. You would probably need a LOT maybe 50 bags or so and the price would need to be adjusted for materials and labor.

I would figure a full day for all the labor,plus materials........so that price should be doable as long as the materials dont go over $600 or so.

MNBOY
08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I did 2 of them this spring and I think I got around $80/k for some smaller 5000sf lawns. Did 2 bids and got them both. I would adjust down a bit for a 30k lawn but I wouldn't do it too cheap. I always bid high on seed jobs since the slit seeding/aerating (double pass of each) is a lot of work and you take a huge chance of them calling/arguing if the seed doesn't grow properly. I know of other larger companies around here that are way higher than me and they keep busy. Good luck though. It's fun to see the end result if all goes well.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-06-2009, 12:09 AM
I did 2 of them this spring and I think I got around $80/k for some smaller 5000sf lawns.

$80 per K?? That would be almost double my price. I just can't fathom a reason to charge that much, even with a complete re-slitseed. What did your work entail to get that price? Aerate (multiple passes), slit seed (two directions), starter fert? Did you add in compost topdress/rolling to your bid?
I could up my price a little bit but I don't want to gouge either. Pt of info - I do biz in a small rural town, that WILL affect pricing.

MNBOY
08-06-2009, 08:20 AM
It was for mowing short, aerating double pass, slit seeding double pass with lesco athletic turf, starter fert. Don't be afraid to charge it. I am telling you that some people will never water and expect a golf course for a lawn so you need to make sure you get paid for follow ups etc. That is why I charge this way. It is not easy work and when you think about what the homeowner would have to go through with renting equipment and getting the right material they are ususally more than happy to pay it. You may have to play around with pricing a bit but that is what I got so that is what I am charging. Again, for a 30k property I would charge less since it is a one stop shop and pretty good size. Have fun! Let us know how it turns out.

MNBOY
08-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Oh ya, and don't think of it as gouging. I just rekeyed the locks on my shop due to a crappy employee that is now gone and the locksmith charged me $85 for 15 mins of work. We are self employed and need to pay insurance, gas, blah blah blah. So it is not gouging. Remember, you are in this to make a living, not for fun. Don't be afraid to charge what you think you deserve. You win some you lose some. I lost a lot of bids especially with cleanups this season. But I am busier than crap with what I am charging so don't sell yourself short. Later.

bigslick7878
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
You are smoking crack if you think you are getting $2100 for that job.

MNBOY
08-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Like I said in the prior post "adjust down" since it is a large lot. I just simply stated how much I have gotten for smaller lawns and to not be afraid to get what you need to make a profit. Thats all so simmer down. Wow, some peoples kids.

Stillwater
08-07-2009, 02:26 AM
No water?

Good luck.

last thing I do is seed before heavy rain

Stillwater
08-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Oh ya, and don't think of it as gouging. I just rekeyed the locks on my shop due to a crappy employee that is now gone and the locksmith charged me $85 for 15 mins of work. We are self employed and need to pay insurance, gas, blah blah blah. So it is not gouging. Remember, you are in this to make a living, not for fun. Don't be afraid to charge what you think you deserve. You win some you lose some. I lost a lot of bids especially with cleanups this season. But I am busier than crap with what I am charging so don't sell yourself short. Later.

I use Best lock high security rekeyable on the fly by user, no need for locksmith.

bigslick7878
08-07-2009, 02:31 AM
last thing I do is seed before heavy rain

Why not?

And keep in mind I'm not talking about summer T storms here just a good soaking rain in September.

Seeding right before a rain like that is the pefect way to set the seed and ensure good soil contact,especailly if you aerate right before.

Would you rather seed right before a drought with no irrigation as he mentioned?

Stillwater
08-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Why not?

And keep in mind I'm not talking about summer T storms here just a good soaking rain in September.

Seeding right before a rain like that is the pefect way to set the seed and ensure good soil contact,especailly if you aerate right before.

Would you rather seed right before a drought with no irrigation as he mentioned?

Bigslick in post #7 You said heavy rains, I don't seed before heavy rain because it un-sets the seed bed, causes pooling, seed travel and rivulets and causes a need for return maintenance to repair the seed bed. In pounding heavy rain seed will float out of aerated holes and travel. Yes in fall I rather seed in dryer non heavy rain but not a drought. I am talking about myself hear I in no way intended to imply your methods are wrong.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Update - put in bid for $1,100 core aerate, slice seed, then starter fert 30K sq ft.
No guarantee because customer would not water.