PDA

View Full Version : what type of grass should I seed?

1999frontier
08-04-2009, 11:06 AM
My wife and I just got a house back in July. Our yard is mostly sun/shade. There are two trees in the front but grass doesn't seem to have a problem in the front. I know I see some bermuda, and some other type of grass. a patch or two of really fine fescue maybe? The back yard has a couple of trees in the back where it mainly sees shade. The rest of the back yard has some bermuda and another type. The other type is thick bladed and grows pretty quick. Someone said on another thread it was probably crabgrass but don't know. We are in the transition zone. NC is divided into 3 different areas. Mountains, piedmont, and coastal area. Nash County is considered on the border or piedmont and coastal area. I'm not sure whether to go with a cool season grass or warm season. Either way I would like to have a green lawn in the winter even if I have to put some annual ryegrass seed out.

Its getting close to the fall and didn't know what to do.

1999frontier
08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Can someone help me identify what I have in my yard? I'm going to put a few more pictures up. I'm not sure what kind of grass seed to put out.

1999frontier
08-08-2009, 09:52 PM
a few more

1999frontier
08-08-2009, 10:01 PM
a couple more. I had to put a picture of my dog on here. Can someone help stear me in the right direction and help me identify these grasses?

kirk1701
08-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I for one can see fescue, bermuda and a mix of crabgrass.

Being right on the transition zone I'd probably go with a cool season grass, fescue.

Or maybe this idea, fescue for the front and bermuda in the back. :drinkup:

1999frontier
08-09-2009, 09:20 PM
In post #3 the last picture and post #4 first picture that is what kind of grass is in the front yard. Only in a few patches though. Is this some type of bluegrass?