PDA

View Full Version : Pricing a yard for mowing

calvarylandscapegroup
08-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey people,
I have a question about pricing yards out to be cut. I live in Cleveland Ohio, this is my first year owning a landscaping business, but have been in the field for about eight years now. I have a handful of mowing accounts, but I feel like I am pricing them out to cheap, I guess my mentalilty is to price cheap to get the account but in return i don't really make nothing. So if I can get an idea on how much to charge for a residential yard, and a commercial account.

Also with fall clean-ups coming how do you price that out. Thanks everyone!

Ben'sLawnCare
08-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Well you need to find out how much it costs you to mow each yard then charge more. You have to know your break even number before you can price something to make money. If you break even at $20 on a small yard than charge 35-40 and so on and so forth. If you have to make $20/per hour to break even than charge 40/hr to make money. Hope that helps some and I hope I explained that right.

KathysLGC
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Figure out how long it takes you to mow the lawn. Lets use the $20.00 her hour example. Say it take you 30 minutes to cut that lawn, how long did it take you to get there? You have to charge for road time as well. Now think about how much gas you used in your truck and equipment just to mow that lawn. Now think about your equipment value. Why does that have to come out of your pocket? Based on the example I gave I would be charging $40.00.

You have to add all these small charges into the price.
Example, a 30 minute lawn for me is easily a $75.00 lawn.

calvarylandscapegroup
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the reply it was alot of help. Say you have a price in your head of what you want to charge, customer says well so and so company did for this much and it was a price way lower than you wanted to charge, what do you do in that situation?Do you walk away or suck it up and take the account? Thanks again

KathysLGC
08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
First off if you give a price for a lawn you would like to have, meaning it's an easy lawn or in line with your other lawns, the price you gave should be the lowest you would want to mow it at leaving no room for you to drop your price.
This is where you ask the customer what went wrong with the last guy? Perhaps he was ripping the lawn every time he turned or wasn't showing up. Now you defend you quality or work and attention to detail and tell them that's why you charge what you charge.

Many customers will try to drop your price. It's like buying a car. They think you just make up the price.