PDA

View Full Version : Multi-zone control with remote control

pps
08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi,

Looking for a setup where with 1 remote, can control upto 8 zones (12v) side on a couple of transformers or be able to program a more general remote with the RF codes.

Need to control approx 4 zones off each transformer, upto 200W per zone.

thanks...

JoeyD
08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Only product you will be able to do this with is going to be ABT Wireless http://abtwireless.com/index.html

You can also try this product, not sure if they ever made it to market.
http://www.hydrovation.com/Default.aspx

It is going to be really tough to find a product that you can control secondary zones individually with remote control capabilities.

Best of luck.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-04-2009, 09:00 PM
The biggest obstacle you will encounter with any RF remote control is effective range. I have not used the ABT system yet but have heard good things. It is set up to control 3 secondary (12V) circuits per transformer. Not sure of it's effective range across a landscape. Also, watch your total load on the contolled circuits, you don't want to overload the relays they use within.

S&MLL
08-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Abt can do ateast 500 feet with obstacles... Open land I would say 1500 feet.

pps
08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Abt can do ateast 500 feet with obstacles... Open land I would say 1500 feet.

Thanks, my client really wants to have individual remote control on each of the zones --- and then programmed into 1 remote with all his audio/video gizmos.

I've sent an e-mail to ABT to see if the RF codes could be programmed into a Harmony or other remote. Seems like a pain just to get 8 zones of control, I'll need 2 remotes AND then for controlling 20 other devices (Audio/video, multi-zone TV,etc) all I need is 1 harmoney remote programmed.

S&MLL
08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
One way would be to have each zone a "300" watt trans and use an appliance module.

Pro-Scapes
08-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Does your client have a crestron or AMX system installed for the AV controls ? If so speak with the integrator for the property. I had a similar situation but the client was also in the electrical phase of construction so we were able to spec 4 leads off the amx dimmer to the outside to power 4 individual transformers at multiple locations outside. The integrator took over once my system was installed and programmed it per my specs.

If the controls are up to you then from what we know ABT is the solution of choice. We will be installing 2 in the next few weeks to remedy a problimatic UPB system. No idea on if it is compatible with the harmony remotes. I do know my client can control each small trans which is esentially designed as small zones independantly from the AMX remote or touch screens located in the house.

One way would be to have each zone a "300" watt trans and use an appliance module.

This would not allow dimmability of the system if desired. If you are dimming be sure your dimmers are compatible and your transformers are also dimmable. I have done this with Gambino magnums with UPB dimmers inside the trans.