PDA

View Full Version : Trailer cages?

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
08-04-2009, 07:01 PM
How many of you guys have cages at the front of your trailer? Im looking for something I can put a couple blowers, some gas cans and maybe a cooler into, and still be able to sneak the deck of my WB under.

CutnEdgLwnCare
08-05-2009, 12:16 AM
I don't have a cage on the front of my trailer but I am interested in the answer to this question also since I am planning to put one on my trailer in the winter.

4.3mudder
08-05-2009, 12:34 AM
I have a cage on the front of mine. I would advise having the gas cans lower like what I did in these pics. You can see part of my cage in the back ground. It is just a regular 2X2 cage, I don't know what the length of it is though. I got so tired of lifting those dam cans in and out, especially when they are full.

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
08-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Whats up with the water bottles on the gas cans?

All_Toro_4ME
08-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I have a cage on the front of mine. It holds the blower and other misc tools really well and out of the way. The wb deck as well as the front half fit under the cage just fine. Just get a good lock to replace the pin.

4.3mudder
08-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Whats up with the water bottles on the gas cans?

Somehow the caps go missing, so those nestle water bottles fit perfectly over and don't blow off :)

G. Ramey
08-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Look at the Jungle Jim Rack on their website. I have one and really like it. It holds a blower on each end and both my gas cans, a chain saw, my sprayer and a toolbox. It also has a cable that runs thru the handles of everything including the blowers and locks.

STIHL GUY
08-06-2009, 01:20 AM
i built a box out of angle iron and plywood. it does not have a top so you can not lock it but i may add one soon

LR3
08-18-2009, 05:48 PM
I have had two trailers so far and find the cage to be invaluable. I would recommend getting one if it is within your budget.

Try these sites:

http://www.junglejimsap.com/
http://www.rackemmfg.com/dealer/open.html
I have also found a few on craigslist.

My first one is the smaller of the two.

93Chevy
08-18-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm in the process of building one for myself. I'll take a few pics tonight and show you what I'm doing. I'm making it out of plywood and 2x4's that will be painted after the product is finished.

SNAPPER MAN
08-18-2009, 08:55 PM
It is invaluable. I have one on my mowing trailer and it has a door that opens forward, not on top. It is a great thing to have. Can easily lock blowers, gas cans, hedge trimmers, etc.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-18-2009, 09:28 PM
I have them too....great for small blowers....2 cycle gas cans....tools

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
08-18-2009, 09:33 PM
It seems the 24x24 is what I need, but the only thing I can find is a 18x18.

clinicalengineer
08-20-2009, 12:14 AM
I have a diamond plate bed rail L shaped tool box on the front of my trailer. Its enough to hold all of my straps, trimmer line, oil, etc. It works out pretty well not taking up too much space, but big enough to carry my essentials to operate.

4.3mudder
08-20-2009, 12:27 AM
This is very handy for those heavy gas jugs

alteeter
08-20-2009, 10:41 AM
I too am looking forward to adding a cage that the WB will slide under, but after seeing the prices for pre-fab'd cages, I will be going to my fabricator with some drawings and see what he prices it at. One thing I am going to do different than what I see most guys doing is this......instead of having the "legs" of the cage bolted directly to the side rails, I am going to have "brackets" made that will bolt to the trailer and the legs of the cage will "slip-fit" inside the brackets. with a few holes and pins, this will make the height of the cage somewhat adjustable and also will make it really easy to remove if you need that space for some random project........just my 2 cents.

vanncann
08-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Have tongue boxes on all my trailers, great investment. My big open trailer has a 30"x30"x60" I got at a shipping salvage house for $120. It retails for about $475. Always check pawn shops and discount sections at stores. Just bought a tongue box for my new trailer for $50 new.

vanncann
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM
http://DSCF0667
This is the box that I got at the salvage house.

4.3mudder
08-20-2009, 09:18 PM
The place where I get my steel is very cheap right now, right now is the time to buy steel for sure

93Chevy
08-21-2009, 07:27 AM
This is very handy for those heavy gas jugs

I know this is off topic, but it doesn't look like you cross your chains in that pic? I could be wrong though...

White Gardens
08-22-2009, 08:33 AM
I too am looking forward to adding a cage that the WB will slide under, but after seeing the prices for pre-fab'd cages, I will be going to my fabricator with some drawings and see what he prices it at. One thing I am going to do different than what I see most guys doing is this......instead of having the "legs" of the cage bolted directly to the side rails, I am going to have "brackets" made that will bolt to the trailer and the legs of the cage will "slip-fit" inside the brackets. with a few holes and pins, this will make the height of the cage somewhat adjustable and also will make it really easy to remove if you need that space for some random project........just my 2 cents.

I've been looking into cleaning up my skip trailer, and to do a metal cage around the whole thing is going to get pricey.

Luckily I know a few places I can salvage some scrap to work. The most expensive part is the mesh for the cage. I'm looking into some metal livestock panels that might be small enough to work, so, something to look into in your area if you want to save some money.

MileHigh
08-22-2009, 10:53 PM
pic from last season.

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
08-22-2009, 11:17 PM
BladeScape do you take the tubes off your blowers to fit them into the cage?

MileHigh
08-23-2009, 12:28 PM
BladeScape do you take the tubes off your blowers to fit them into the cage?

I only have to take the tubes off when there are 3 or more blowers in the cage.

Trevor8
09-21-2009, 05:14 PM
where did you get your boxes?

sproston lawn care
10-19-2009, 02:49 AM
where is a good place to get a cage at

and is it cheaper to build one or buy it any help would be great

grass_cuttin_fool
10-20-2009, 09:25 AM
where is a good place to get a cage at

and is it cheaper to build one or buy it any help would be great

If you have a tractor supply in your area they sell them....around 120 bux.....I bought one and made one....the one I made cost me around 105 bux to make( all new metal) and that didnt allow for paint or labor/welding rods