PDA

View Full Version : Trying to indentify this weed or grass.

ertb
08-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Does anyone know what this weed is ? I never had a problem til this summer, its everywhere. I did not put out any premergent this year because I am laid off. Someone told me it was smooth crabgrass. Need Help.....

Blue Horizons
08-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Looks like smooth crabgrass to me. Pain in the @SS! But there are some tricks to getting rid of it.

ertb
08-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Is preemergent in late winter early spring the best thing to do?

lawnspecialties
08-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I start Pre-emergents in mid-February and don't stop until around June.

ertb
08-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Is the lesco premergent a good product to use.

Blue Horizons
08-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Is the lesco premergent a good product to use.

Anything with pendumethulum (sp?) works great when applied at the right rate. Be aware it does not get rid of current crabgrass, only prevents germination of current plants.
Posted via Mobile Device

RAlmaroad
08-05-2009, 09:43 AM
ertb: I'm up here in Kingsport. I'm guessing that you have fescue grass? Between Feb. 15 and March 15 use that Lesco Barricade pre-em + your fertilize. I personally use the 5-5-25 from Anderson. This gives the roots plenty of potassium for development and not too much nitrogen (I have so much lawn that I'd have to mow every day with more than that). If your lawn is smaller then you could use something with more Nitrogen and possibly some iron later on in the season. The pre-em will not last long around here so apply just some 0-0-7 Dimension from Lesco by June 1st. This should get you through till September. That large smooth crabgrass is everywhere this year because of the amount of rain. Keep your lawn mowed and bagged to keep as many seeds from developing as it is an annual and sprouts from this years seeds. Do you have any spray equipment other than garden sprayers? If you have a good garden end hose sprayer such as a Gilmore, there are some good spray herbicides that can be applied with them to get the crabgrass. Ask that Lesco guy or if your not sure or never done this, get that bottle of concentrated Fert-i-lome for crabgrass from the grarden center that is designed for the garden hose applicator. Hose it on and it will get some of it. There are better one than this such as Trimec (Three-Way) Drive Herbicide or a combo of these, but these need to be applied very carefully and accurately with professional spray equipment.
I know Knoxville well,
Roy