PDA

View Full Version : Any Long Islanders here? What are you using for pre and pro?

suzook
08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
New to the forum, alot of good chemicals are banned here on Long island NY. I am curious as to what are some favorites you guys are using for pre-m and post-m. Thanks

Whitey4
08-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm using Barricade for pre-M, has worked well, but does reduce germination rates a lottle bit for fall seedings. We're talkin crabgrass, right? Acclaim is about the only effective post-M I have tried.

If you happen across anything that is legal and effective here for wild violets, I'll buy you dinner at Peter Luger's steak house.

suzook
08-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks, yes i am talking about crabgrass, and I was hoping there was something better than Barricadeand Acclaim.I dont have a clue to getting rid of wild violets. Whats with LI and WV anyway? Are they native? Or was this added to seed mixes years ago?

Whitey4
08-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Well, there is MSMA and CASA, but any arsenic based herbicide is will be prohhibited soon. Sure it's CB and not another weed? Acclaim works well on CB in myexperience, but does nothing for most other grassy weeds.

I'm seeing some breakthrough this week after a spring Barricade app, but only along walks and borders, nothing in the lawn itself.

WV must be native... that chit is all over the place, and we have nothing to fight it with.

suzook
08-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Def crabgrass. do you know if Acclaim will hurt fine fescue? i might be better off letting the crabgass do its thing for a few more weeks, and kill it off the end of august and reseed. It is invading a a 15x 15 patch. i might be better off starting over in that area.

hughmcjr
08-05-2009, 10:40 PM
I am from Mineola originally. I have been in Oregon 20 years, but never did any maintenance back there. I visit a couple of times a year since family is still there. One of the chemicals that I really like and use a lot here for Pre emergence is liquid Dimension, Dimension EW.

What is interesting is that Dimension is banned or has limitations on the label in only two places in the US and both are counties on LI, Nassau and Suffolk. I thought why wouldn't it be banned in Queens and Brooklyn as well and then I did some more thinking. Nassau and Suffolk are no different in terms of soil type than Queens and Brooklyn as all of them are sandy soil. The difference is Nassau and Suffolk get there water for human use/consumption from ground aquifers/wells. Queens and Brooklyn like the rest of the city get theirs from the Hudson and upstate reservoirs.

I am guessing a guy in Bellrose, Queens, right on the Nassau border with Floral Park, can use Dimension. It would still seem that runoff would be an issue to some point, but maybe the aquifers would not be contaminated because they are further out. :confused:

Bottom line is I feel for you guys and being limited.... and growing up as a kid I thought LI water was fine. We were all clueless back then including most adults as to environmental issues. My family and friends tell me the water isn't what it used to be and of course never was as good as NYC water anyway.

You know, Dimension 2EW is allowed for use on LI. It was Dimension EC which is no longer available, thank someone, because it reeked bad.

Dimension 2EW works really well if you can use it and the new EW formula has little odor, similar to a citrus like, Dursban Pro sought of odor, and it has NO dye or staining.

The rate that is legal in Nassau and Suffolk counties is actually not too far off what I use. I use .75 oz to igal/per 1k sq ft. According to the label the amount you could use on LI would only allow you to use that amount once a year, because splitting the amount into two apps wouldn't give the desired pre emergence needed to control weeds. At the top of the label you will see the reference to Nassau and Suffolk and the allowable rates.

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld7ND000.pdf

Whitey4
08-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Def crabgrass. do you know if Acclaim will hurt fine fescue? i might be better off letting the crabgass do its thing for a few more weeks, and kill it off the end of august and reseed. It is invading a a 15x 15 patch. i might be better off starting over in that area.

Acclaim is fine for any fescue, rye, KGB, zoysia and even crepping bentgrass*.

*with some cautions

I'd try to kill the CB before it seeds. That would help control it next year.

hughmcjr, yep, it's all about the aquifers here and the sandy loam that tends to leach. Nitrate levels have done up in the ground water, so now it's no N from Nov 1 to April 1 in Nassau and Suffolk counties. Most of that nitrate problem is from home owners and farms.

I have had good control with Barricade. I hit the typical problem spots around walkways with Acclaim, where the barrier tends to break down this time of year. As an LCO, I actually hand pull CB on occassion! Get it before it spreads out, and the hole in the turf fills in within a week.

I live in Hicksville, and about 10-12 years ago Hicksville won the state competition for best tasting water, believe it or not, but about 8 years ago, they found bacteria, and the water is saturated with chlorine now.... virtually undrinkable. I can cook with it, but I can't drink it.