PDA

View Full Version : Dog crap !

shostoppa
08-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Has anyone ever turned down a job due to dog crap? do you charge more?:laugh:

honeydopm
08-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Deal with it, it comes with the territory.....literally.

lazyike
08-04-2009, 10:31 PM

Yes, and Yes.

If I run over dog crap and get it on my mowers I charge an extra $20.00 for cleaning my equipment and my time. I feel that its not fair to my clients that do not have dogs for my mowers to be dragging dog crap onto their yard from another yard.
If people want to have dogs they should take responsibility for them, I'm in the turf business not the dog crap business.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but that is my policy and it works well.

JB1
08-04-2009, 10:32 PM

not a problem, blades slice right through it.

FYS777
08-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Yes, and Yes.

If I run over dog crap and get it on my mowers I charge an extra $20.00 for cleaning my equipment and my time. I feel that its not fair to my clients that do not have dogs for my mowers to be dragging dog crap onto their yard from another yard.
If people want to have dogs they should take responsibility for them, I'm in the turf business not the dog crap business.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but that is my policy and it works well.

ditto, no flame from here

agm
08-04-2009, 11:47 PM
I too charge a equipment clean up fee. Mine is only $10. It's on our contract that it must be picked up day of service otherwise we charge.

vanncann
08-05-2009, 01:06 AM
We had a little co. around here that would go around and pick-up droppings for a fee, but never used.

vanncann
08-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Poop patrol!!! Thats the name of the co.

shostoppa
08-05-2009, 01:17 AM
I havnt had the issue yet, I have great dane and if i didnt pick up it would be like, attacking a yard of dirt w/ a blender.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
but seriously thanks guys.

milsaps118
08-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Awwwwww the dreaded dog poo! I have two customers who NEVER pick up after their dogs. I mention it to the customers all the time and even remind them on there invoices in the message box. I too charge a cleaning fee for poo smeared on my tires and flung up onto the deck and splattered under my gas tanks, as well as jammed under my boots!

Two weeks ago when we had 80+ temps and humidity I was whipping along a fence line and SPLAT I got sprayed with fresh juicy Poo right in the face!!!!!! I was so ticked off!!!! I didn't even finish trimming after that. I came really close to pounding on the door and giving the homeowner a few choice words but I knew if I did that it wasn't going to be good so I loaded up, drove about 2mi down the road and calmly (had to grit my teeth and bit my lip) called the customer and filled him in on what just happened.

As someone else said, it comes along with the territory, you just have to suck it up and deal with it, it's an occupational hazard we have to deal with in this low skill line of work.

I'll never get use to it, but I have learned to deal with it. It sucks either way but what can ya do.......

BeSeenGraphics
08-05-2009, 11:14 AM
There is a guy who is called the Dog Butler or something like that down near Albany who got rich on picking up crap.

ron mexico75
08-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Awwwwww the dreaded dog poo! I have two customers who NEVER pick up after their dogs. I mention it to the customers all the time and even remind them on there invoices in the message box. I too charge a cleaning fee for poo smeared on my tires and flung up onto the deck and splattered under my gas tanks, as well as jammed under my boots!

Two weeks ago when we had 80+ temps and humidity I was whipping along a fence line and SPLAT I got sprayed with fresh juicy Poo right in the face!!!!!! I was so ticked off!!!! I didn't even finish trimming after that. I came really close to pounding on the door and giving the homeowner a few choice words but I knew if I did that it wasn't going to be good so I loaded up, drove about 2mi down the road and calmly (had to grit my teeth and bit my lip) called the customer and filled him in on what just happened.

As someone else said, it comes along with the territory, you just have to suck it up and deal with it, it's an occupational hazard we have to deal with in this low skill line of work.

I'll never get use to it, but I have learned to deal with it. It sucks either way but what can ya do.......

Oh man!!! I know EXACTLY what you mean. I almost lost my breakfast when I read your description of "juicy poo." I could litteraly smell what you were talking about.:laugh:

SangerLawn
08-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Personally, the poop on the mowers don’t bother me. The ones I hate are when your trimmer slightly grazes over those perfect cone shaped terds. Suddenly your safety glasses and cheeks get covered. Before you know what happens you take your arm to wipe off the dirt but about the time you slide your hand over your face you realize you just strategically placed bits of terd up your nostril. This pretty much ruins the day. :cry:

mowerbrad
08-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I haven't yet started to charge for the inconvenience of running over dog poop and getting it all over the mowers, mainly because I don't have but one customer that really doesn't pick up after their dog very well. I feel that if you have a dog you have a few responsibilities, and if you have someone doing your lawn care then one of the responsibilities is to clean up after your dog. I don't want to step in it and get it in my truck, I don't want to run it over and have it all over my tires and mower, and I definately don't want to hit it with the trimmer. I think if I hit any with the trimmer, my policy will be changing and those customers will be charged more until they can clean up after their dog.

GallucciLandscaping
08-05-2009, 09:04 PM
we kindly ask them in person or via phone to pick up all dog crap, if that doesn't work we write notes on their invoices and if that still doesn't work, we go around it and leave at least an 8 foot section uncut. They tend to catch on pretty quick after the big uncut spots in the lawn

SangerLawn
08-05-2009, 11:28 PM
we kindly ask them in person or via phone to pick up all dog crap, if that doesn't work we write notes on their invoices and if that still doesn't work, we go around it and leave at least an 8 foot section uncut. They tend to catch on pretty quick after the big uncut spots in the lawn

Lol…I love the uncut idea!!! Think we are going to start doing that!!!

Florida Gardener
08-05-2009, 11:39 PM
i tell potential customers that it is my policy that ALL dog crap is picked up before visits. I don't want it getting in my tires, on my equipment, shoes, and especially in my face. As someone else stated, im not in the business of cleaning up dog crap. I think it is very disrespectful for someone to do that. It's the same as the homeowner who leaves junk,hoses,toys,wrappers in their yard. If they won't clean it up, I have no problem moving on.

greenstar lawn
08-05-2009, 11:39 PM
This house that i cut for who doesnt own a dog has this neighbor that has an invisible fence along the property and his two dogs would always crap on the other side of the property line in the yard i cut. Well I finally had enough of running these piles over with the mower so wrote him a note a few weeks ago and left it on his door and so far the poop has been picked up.
Also I can relate with the whole poop in the face from trimming. Luckily this year i haven't gotten it but witnessed my guy get hit in the face and it was funny as hell. :laugh:

STIHL GUY
08-06-2009, 01:02 AM
its not bad when you hit it with the blades. its when it get spread on you equipment and you that it becoms a problem

lazyike
08-06-2009, 01:26 AM

milsaps why do you consider what you do a low skill line of work? I agree that its not brain surgery, or Dentistry but give yourself some credit.
I am sure you have, like many others on here have studied, read, practiced and perfected the skill you do have. I am also sure that your lawns look nicer than when a homeowner mows it.
If we do not start portraying our business as a skilled business the cost for our service will continue to go down as the cost of living increases.

Isobel
08-06-2009, 01:28 AM
When I worked for a company in Phoenix they charged the client for every piece of dog crap the mowing guys came across.

Bob_n_weave
08-06-2009, 02:42 AM
All new accounts I ask about Dogs. $5 gets added to price
and Nicely ask if they would pick up before I mow.

Good idea on mowing around the Turds, leaving a mohawk patch of grass. Im going to start doing it. Maybe home owner will start picking it up more often.

Brad Ent
08-06-2009, 09:09 AM
One of our accounts has multiple dogs and never cleans up the doo, I tell myself every week this is the last time..... Then it occured to me, why not rinse off my equipment and boots in their yard. So far so good!
One other bit of advise - keep your mouth closed when string trimming!

g21
08-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Never used to charge extra for it unless the dogs started to crap along the fence-line and the weedeater started to sling it in the face...then I used to get pissed!!

milsaps118
08-06-2009, 09:49 AM
milsaps why do you consider what you do a low skill line of work? I agree that its not brain surgery, or Dentistry but give yourself some credit.
I am sure you have, like many others on here have studied, read, practiced and perfected the skill you do have. I am also sure that your lawns look nicer than when a homeowner mows it.
If we do not start portraying our business as a skilled business the cost for our service will continue to go down as the cost of living increases.

Just being sarcastic....most home owners see us as low skill laborers just because anyone can mow a lawn.

lazyike
08-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Just being sarcastic....most home owners see us as low skill laborers just because anyone can mow a lawn.

Ohhhh I agree you you there 100%. I have a friend that owns a tree service and when I go with him on bids and jobs I cannot get over how the customer seems to kiss his a$$.
I also can tell the difference when I meet with customers about chemical.

lifetree
08-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes, and Yes.

Sounds fair, and good, to me ... glad it works for you !!

crazyman
08-07-2009, 12:41 AM
If I get somebody new with dog crap. I ask that they keep it picked up when i come. If its not I give them one chance then next time i drop them. You know they wouldnt walk in it. So im not going to either.

redmax fan
08-07-2009, 12:44 AM
the stuffs called ' land mines ' because you dont want to step on one :cry:

THEGOLDPRO
08-07-2009, 12:45 AM
i dont mind dog crap, i just mow over it, people who complaine about it are wussies, do your damn job, shut your mouths, and just deal with it. as long as im getting paid im happy. you guys act like its the end of the world if you run over some poop pull the thongs out of your a$$es for christs sakes, its mowing lawns not rocket science.

mowerknower
08-07-2009, 12:55 AM
i dont mind dog crap, i just mow over it, people who complaine about it are wussies, do your damn job, shut your mouths, and just deal with it. as long as im getting paid im happy. you guys act like its the end of the world if you run over some poop pull the thongs out of your a$$es for christs sakes, its mowing lawns not rocket science.
Ok, but when you bring your mower to me for repairs Im gonna charge you a hidden dog **** fee.

FYS777
08-07-2009, 12:55 AM
i'm glad i'm up wind, cus i can smell you now

FYS777
08-07-2009, 01:03 AM
I can see it now, probably kicking himself because he didn't think about all the aforementioned suggestions, like chargeing for picking it up, or mowing around it, or, ect.. go ahead kick yourself again,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Enjoy - a much debated (and humorous) subject

www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=241306&page=16&highlight=dog+poop

Seriously though, if you walk a lawn and see a bunch of poop, chances are the homeowner won't clean it up before you cut even if you tell them it is your policy. So, either charge the dickens out of them for the job, or walk away. Personally, I don't mow poop, I mow grass.

Rangerpro1253
08-07-2009, 09:20 AM
We to charge a fee of $10 for cleaning our mowers, if its really bad and the client hasnt gotten to it we will mow around the piles and they will have tall spots. Once a client complained to me and refused to pick it up so i explained to him why it needs to be done and they still refused so i doubled their cleaning fee on invoice, they never noticed and paid the full amount.

THEGOLDPRO
08-07-2009, 08:36 PM
i dunno maybe im just diffrent, you people should be happy to even be working in this economy, trust me when i say for every dog poop nazi who charges for cleaning their equipment, their are 5 other lco's would love to steal that account and not complain about it. then again all of my accounts are pretty big ones that pay alot of money for me to mow, i guess if i was getting paid 30 bucks a yard like you guys i would complain too.

lazyike
08-07-2009, 10:59 PM
i dunno maybe im just diffrent, you people should be happy to even be working in this economy, trust me when i say for every dog poop nazi who charges for cleaning their equipment, their are 5 other lco's would love to steal that account and not complain about it. then again all of my accounts are pretty big ones that pay alot of money for me to mow, i guess if i was getting paid 30 bucks a yard like you guys i would complain too.

Talking awfully damn big for not knowing who you are talking to.

1. You do not know how big my company is or the size of my contracts.

2. I do not need to worry about the state of the economy because many of my contracts I have had for years and others are government contracts. The quality of my work keeps me plenty busy.

3. For every 1 customer I have, I have 2 that want to be my customer.

4. If you came to mow my properties with someone Else's dog $hit on your equipment I would fire your a$$.

I don't know, maybe I run a higher class of business than you.

topsites
08-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I can't turn down a job just because the dog "went" within the 8 or so hours
between the time the customer cleaned up after the pooch and I got there...
I mean, a few piles, as was said, it comes with the territory.

Now when it looks like a WWII minefield, that's a whole different story.

xxl
08-07-2009, 11:40 PM
I have not realy ran into that much of a problem usaly just asking them to make sure the lawn is clean works. If it is one or 2 spot and they are decent people i wont make a big fuss. It the yards that have it all over the place its your dog your responsible for it not me. If my customer who has 3 dogs can clean up there yard you can to or we can dicuse a clean up price. I dont need to be walking in poop all the time i will find some orther poop free yard to cut

THEGOLDPRO
08-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Talking awfully damn big for not knowing who you are talking to.
wasnt pointing you out specifically but ok......

I don't know, maybe I run a higher class of business than you.
and i doubt it :rolleyes:.................

beegreenlandcare
08-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Ya we had one a yard a couple of years ago. The people had a "blue point heeler" It had a kennel but, every time I showed, there where at least 6 piles on their small 5K sq. ft yard. Besides the dog sh%t the yard was always a pig sty. Toys all over, pool cover spread out over the lawn, junk over flowing out of their yard shed, a real sh!t hole -allover. The 1st time their check bounced I went back and got cash. Then they started paying later, and later... They just got fired altogther for dogsh!t and other bullsh*t reasons.
I love hwen u put away the mowers w/o cleaning them and then open the trailers for the 1st time tthe next morning, seems like the smell NEVER goes away!

patriotlawn375
08-08-2009, 11:16 PM
its funny that this was brought up b/c just the other day i was mowing a back yard that has dogs and i was literally knee deep in Sh*t. I like the idea of charging more and had never thought of that before.

the ace
08-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Who knows, maybe you could make a nice chunk of change adding this service to your business or start a new business.

CALL "THE KING OF CRAP" FOR YOUR FREE QUOTE TODAY!
WE'RE #1 IN THE #2 BUSINESS!