PDA

View Full Version : Fine Mulch or Course Mulch which one stays better?

mark2
04-21-2002, 01:19 AM
I seem to think that medium to course textured mulch stays in place better during heavy rains. I hear some people say that fine mulch like mini nuggets stays better.
What do you think:D ?

Lanelle
04-21-2002, 01:58 AM
Shredded mulch will 'knit' together and stay in place fairly well. The bark nuggets have a tendency to float away in heavy rains. If mulch is shredded to a very fine consistency, it tends to decompose too quickly. Large nuggets also tend to get kicked out of beds easily.

dougaustreim
04-21-2002, 10:02 AM
I would agree, the real answer is shredded versus chipped or chunks. The chips and chunks float and blow regardless of size.

We've had very good luck with the shredded product.

Our local playground equipment factory (Rainbow Playsystems) is the world's largest consumer of redwood lumber. As a result, they have a lot of scrap which they chip for landscape mulch. Since there is no freight and they have tons of it, the price is minimal. Most homeowners who use it only stay with it a year or two at the most, and then they come to us to get shredded hardwood bark to replace it with, because our product stays put, the chips do not.

What helps though is that the large much companies that come here to pickup up redwood, give us a very good freight rate for the shredded bark coming in, because they are loaded both ways.

Doug Austreim
Austreim Lanscaping Inc

strickdad
04-26-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Lanelle
Shredded mulch will 'knit' together and stay in place fairly well. The bark nuggets have a tendency to float away in heavy rains. If mulch is shredded to a very fine consistency, it tends to decompose too quickly. Large nuggets also tend to get kicked out of beds easily. lanelle is 100% correct here ...

prairie
04-26-2002, 12:02 PM
I couldn't have put it anyother way. Stay away from the bulky bark and go w/ the shredded mulch. Been there and done that.