PDA

View Full Version : Fescue Lawn

Oilman
04-12-2000, 07:12 PM
I just put in a fescue lawn on October and was wondering what a good watering frequency schedule was. I am in <br>Atlanta GA and the lawn is 90% full sun.<p>Thanks for the advise:)<p>----------<br>Get Amsoil Products at WHOLESALE!<br>www.synthetic-motor-oil.com

batman
04-16-2000, 12:18 AM
Oilman, in the midatlantic states a good practice of watering is infrequently but, heavily. It gives the roots a chance to grow deeper into the soil therefore the lawn doesn't dry out as quickly with the roots near the surface. A deeper rootzone means a thicker lush lawn that can tolerate of pressures. ie drought,disease and insect problems. If you need more information contact your nearest Lesco service center representative, we can help you in far better ways than most warehouse hardware stores.

jakev
04-16-2000, 02:32 AM
Why go to your nearest Lesco dealer when your one click away from LawnSite.com?<br>

batman
04-16-2000, 10:34 PM
Because you purchase products from me over the internet and I don't spend every waking moment on the computer. Besides the guy who is running this website doesn't want me using it as a forum for my company unless we pump advertising dollars into his company (website). You can get more reliable information from a person in your area who knows the local environment anyway. Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

jakev
04-17-2000, 01:11 PM
Why shouldnt Lesco &quot;pump&quot; money into LawnSite.com? Your &quot;using&quot; LawnSite.com to help your sales for Lesco. Lesco is a huge company... I think a fortune 500 company. Why should Lesco take advantage of LawnSite.com and not pay? Will trade magazines allow Lesco so use their pages to tell consumers about their products for free? I don't think so!<p>There are guys from just about every area in the united states on this forum.

batman
04-17-2000, 07:11 PM
Jake, if you had noticed, I was given this guy FREE information on my own time, which is something we associates do all of the time. That's how we got to be such a succesful in the first place. So something for nothing applies to us too.

GAlawnman
04-18-2000, 12:11 AM
Definitly infrequently! If no rain, then probably not more than every 4-5 days. The best way is to determine when the grass needs watering by observing the tracks made by your feet when walking through it. When it needs water it will not pop back up within the next several minutes. The grass will also start to wilt slightly and turn a different shade (depending on type of fescue). Since N. Georgia is full of clay which doesn't percolate easily, you should try to water about 1&quot; in order to get down about 6-8&quot; into the ground. This will establish a deep root system. Hope this info helps ya. Good luck.

Oilman
07-31-2000, 03:48 PM
Well the summer has destroyed my entire fescue lawn. All I have is dirt! I have to do it all over, and was thinking about Centipede, what do you all think?<p>----------<br>Get Amsoil Products at WHOLESALE!<br>www.synthetic-motor-oil.com<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Oilman

KirbysLawn
08-01-2000, 08:50 AM
Oilman, check here for info on maintenance for each type grass: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/TurfFiles/index.html If your soil is sandy I would consider St. Augustine Grass. I agree with the above, check with your local Lesco, they will know what is best for your area.

GroundKprs
08-01-2000, 10:52 PM
Also check GA turf info at http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b773-w.html. This article will help you with grass selection for your area.<br>Think you are too far south to get a year-round cover with cool season grasses. Cool season grasses will relly shut down when temps go over 90, and they actually die from a sudden heat increase, and from extended heat situations. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

awm
01-18-2001, 10:24 PM
Try a really thorough well planed planting
in fall.It will harden better over winter
and survive dry hot better next summer.
I would stay with drought tolerant fescue
mixed w red orshade tolerant seed as needed.

Mueller Landscape Inc
01-19-2001, 01:11 AM
Fescue grass, as many cool season grasses, require a lot of water during the hot, dry summer months. Deep watering is always best and will work if the area is flat and not sloped, otherwise frequent watering will be needed. The amount of water you need for your area I do not know. Contacting someone in your area is good advice.

Good Luck

John

KirbysLawn
01-23-2001, 07:53 AM
Oilman's last post was 6 months ago, doubt he's reading your post, this is an old thread.