PDA

View Full Version : Out Of Town Accounts

acamp53472
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I got a new customer 2 weeks ago and charge him for a clean-up which included the lawn cut, edged, trim, blow. He then agrees on biweekly service and schedule this service for this Friday. He calls me today and says he's going out of town and if I could cut the yard and bill him later. I told him since you're a new customer I would feel more comfortable for him to be there present so he could see that I am there to do the work and then he could pay on the spot. He tells me that he goes out of town alot and can't be there. He then gets offended and tells me I can't believe you would think that I would stiff you when I already paid you from the first time. Then he says I'll just take my business elsewhere. I tell him Good Luck Finding A Lawn Service that will Cut An ACRE Lot without getting paid on the spot.

How does everyone deal with new accounts that are bigger yards. The last thing I want to do is bust my rear end in 95 degree weather and have to wait a week or worse off get stiffed from this ******* that's out of town.

grandview (2006)
08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
If you had a gut feeling about it then your ok.

SCAG POWER
08-05-2009, 09:37 PM
All season long or nothing at all. Do not wate your time with by weekly cuts . All they want is a grade service work at c grade price. You will kill your self every other week just trying to keep up. Yards has a week pluse to grow and then be cut .It is a watse of time and very few people do it. Most work off of 42 cuts per season. No discounting in the winter months , because they will leave you come spring.

SangerLawn
08-05-2009, 10:26 PM
If you had a gut feeling about it then your ok.

I agree 100 percent with your gut feeling. No matter what anyone else says go with that.

Personally I donít mind billing. There are a lot of times that I mow a lawn and donít get paid till later. That is normal. So far I havenít been stiffed yet but if I do as soon as they get a letter from the court house about the lean I applied on there property more then likely they will pay. Yes I have already checked into doing that and yes you can do it. But again, your gut feeling is always best!!

STIHL GUY
08-06-2009, 12:04 AM
if i have a feeling they wont pay i will get paid on the spot but other than that i dont mind waiting a little bit

whitebp1
08-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Me personally i would have done the work and billed him for it. Esp in there tough economic times, any work right now is better than no work at all even if it might potentially be a little more of a hassel. If he did pay you then you could always go and place a lein against the home/property for that amount that he owes you. Then the day comes he decides to sell or re-finance ....opps he cant b/c he owes you the money and he willl then be force to pay you the money or he wont be able to sell...... Ive had to to this a few times around here. I once got my $2,000.00 after waiting 1.5 yrs. it came slowly by then i really didnt even thiunk bout it had actually forgotten about it but was nice to have the extra$$ all the sudden !! check with a local attourny first b4 doing anything like this........

bohiaa
08-10-2009, 01:29 PM
MAN you blew it...........

We have customers we have never met. and wont... they live in a diffrent state.

and yes sometimes it's a couple of months untill we get paid.

we also have some that send us pre pays. like 2 to 3 thousand at a time....

take this as a lesson, and keep on going

JDiepstra
08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
MAN you blew it...........

We have customers we have never met. and wont... they live in a diffrent state.

and yes sometimes it's a couple of months untill we get paid.

we also have some that send us pre pays. like 2 to 3 thousand at a time....

take this as a lesson, and keep on going

I agree with this one.

Way to go. :laugh:

dodgegrass
08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
have him leave a check taped to the door or under a mat or something like that if you are afraid of getting paid. The gut nevers lies

Jpeg lawn maintenance
08-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I got a new customer 2 weeks ago and charge him for a clean-up which included the lawn cut, edged, trim, blow. He then agrees on biweekly service and schedule this service for this Friday. He calls me today and says he's going out of town and if I could cut the yard and bill him later. I told him since you're a new customer I would feel more comfortable for him to be there present so he could see that I am there to do the work and then he could pay on the spot. He tells me that he goes out of town alot and can't be there. He then gets offended and tells me I can't believe you would think that I would stiff you when I already paid you from the first time. Then he says I'll just take my business elsewhere. I tell him Good Luck Finding A Lawn Service that will Cut An ACRE Lot without getting paid on the spot.

How does everyone deal with new accounts that are bigger yards. The last thing I want to do is bust my rear end in 95 degree weather and have to wait a week or worse off get stiffed from this ******* that's out of town.

if the lawn is that big and he paid you the first time chances are he will pay you the second time i dont know if you are in this full time if so maybe think about a billing schedule like once a month thats what alot of guys do or do half of your customers at the middle of month half at the end so you always have money flowing just an idea good luck to you

SunState Lawn Care inc
08-10-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree with this one.

Way to go. :laugh:

x2...... we had a customer for almost 20 years that I had never met talked on the phone a couple of times but they paid when we billled them so no big deal. We cut places all the time for folks and bill at the end of the month. I just looked at 2 properties for a company in Miami I hope they pay if I get the jobs they are a along way away LOL.