PDA

View Full Version : newbie in pa

mownmore
08-05-2009, 09:50 PM
New to site. Working to start new lawn care biz in Lancaster pa area next year. Lots of very useful info here. Glad to see successful others sharing info.
Hope to learn from your ups and downs. Chris

J & D Greens
08-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi Chris,
Hope you have a good experience with your new venture. If you are jumping all in. My advice would be three things. One, Bid higher rather than lower!!!!! ( don't bid jobs too low just because you need some work ), Two, try to buy the best ( newest ) commercial equipment you can without going into Debt. Three, work hard and stay with it. I am not full time at this yet. but I don't think it would be hard to get there from where I'm at now. Good luck, David

jeffslawnservice
08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Hey Im also from PA (Philadelphia) but I agree with everything that J and D Greens said except the newer commercial equipment. Definitely buy commercial and try for new hand helds but don't kill yourself buying a new commercial mower if you cant afford it. Used ones work just as well but definitly buy new handhelds, used ones break down alot. And definitely bid alittle higher not only when you think about it, it is stupid to bid low your losing money and there are always unexpected things that might happen during the job. Best of luck to you.

J & D Greens
08-06-2009, 03:37 AM
Hey Im also from PA (Philadelphia) but I agree with everything that J and D Greens said except the newer commercial equipment. Definitely buy commercial and try for new hand helds but don't kill yourself buying a new commercial mower if you cant afford it. Used ones work just as well but definitly buy new handhelds, used ones break down alot. And definitely bid alittle higher not only when you think about it, it is stupid to bid low your losing money and there are always unexpected things that might happen during the job. Best of luck to you.

When I said newer, I meant if you can't buy new commercial mowers or trimmers, ect. Buy newer used Commercial equipment as opposed to residential stuff or something run to the ground, ( guys are selling of stuff that will help them keep going or they are just wanting out of the business altogether ) that will only last a season or so and you will be working on that stuff a lot if your trying to mow 50+ lawns a week. I used home owners versions of the prolines I now have and worked on them all the time, but this year I went out and found some commercial toros that have susuki motors and I've been using just one mower this hole season and only needed to replace the pull cord on it just today. Whether new or used try to buy the best commercial mower and hand held you can afford. good luck! David

g21
08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Chris,
Welcome to the business. Lancaster is a great area...plenty of room to grow a new company! If you need any help with your estimating or establishing your operational costs, don't hesitate to email me with questions. I'll be glad to help. Good luck!
Tommy

mownmore
08-06-2009, 04:31 PM
going to start part time, and im looking used equipment. thinking of starting with fall clean up this year to get my name out. still looking for the right truck though.

jeffslawnservice
08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
When I said newer, I meant if you can't buy new commercial mowers or trimmers, ect. Buy newer used Commercial equipment as opposed to residential stuff or something run to the ground, ( guys are selling of stuff that will help them keep going or they are just wanting out of the business altogether ) that will only last a season or so and you will be working on that stuff a lot if your trying to mow 50+ lawns a week. I used home owners versions of the prolines I now have and worked on them all the time, but this year I went out and found some commercial toros that have susuki motors and I've been using just one mower this hole season and only needed to replace the pull cord on it just today. Whether new or used try to buy the best commercial mower and hand held you can afford. good luck! David

Thats what I thought you meant but I agree 100% with what you just said my homeowner equipment breaks all the time but my commercial equipment hardely ever breaks down.