PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if it is too late to apply Imidacloprid based grub control on Long Island?

mictrik
08-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Normally when i apply this it is around the second week of July but i missed it this year. I was going to apply it this week, perhaps today; is it too late? I will be using Grubex with Imidacloprid, the same active ingredient as Merit. Any advice will be appreciated...

turf hokie
08-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Too late, wait a couple of weeks and use a post control such as Dylox.

Whitey4
08-06-2009, 06:21 PM
The beetles flew here about a month ago. I imagine they laid eggs, two weeks later, the grubs should be in the first instar having just hatched... but hokie, you think this is the wrong time to apply?

I was under the impression this is the best time to apply.... a window that started 3 weeks ago and is still open.

turf hokie
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Whitey, you would know better in your area but I just feel that by the time the merit gets into the plants and becomes effective you will have had grub damage already.

I just had to pull the tomatoes out of my garden, friggin late blight....but I had some fully developed grubs in the garden. So I am assuming that with the wet weather we have had in July the grubs have had perfect growing weather, and are ahead of what normal assumptions would be.

Whitey4
08-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Whitey, you would know better in your area but I just feel that by the time the merit gets into the plants and becomes effective you will have had grub damage already.

I just had to pull the tomatoes out of my garden, friggin late blight....but I had some fully developed grubs in the garden. So I am assuming that with the wet weather we have had in July the grubs have had perfect growing weather, and are ahead of what normal assumptions would be.

Me knowing better than you? I seriously doubt that.

But they did hatch here about 4 weeks ago. Didn't see many adults, and at that only saw them for one week, but did have about 15% of my lawns damaged last year. I applied early last week to those lawns and my own. Merit is restricted here anyways.... and I'm not certified to apply it this year. I used Dylox.

I haven't dug up any lawns yet, but I suppose I ought to, just to see where the larvae is in terms of development.

Fully develped grubs? like in the fifth instar? That would be a very late hatching... maybe the cool spring has spread out the adults from emerging?

turf hokie
08-06-2009, 09:06 PM
^^^^That is what had me wondering, are they late hatching or early developing?? Or did I just come across an a few anomolies in my garden??

I too did not notice a normal flight of beetles. Much shorter window and many fewer noticed. But then again, not much has been normal here this year. Or are we just not in a big flight year?

I feel like just putting my head in the sand for a week or two..........maybe the grub thing and all the fungus we have right now will go away on its own

Whitey4
08-06-2009, 09:42 PM
^^^^That is what had me wondering, are they late hatching or early developing?? Or did I just come across an a few anomolies in my garden??

I too did not notice a normal flight of beetles. Much shorter window and many fewer noticed. But then again, not much has been normal here this year. Or are we just not in a big flight year?

I feel like just putting my head in the sand for a week or two..........maybe the grub thing and all the fungus we have right now will go away on its own

I am beginning to think the weather might have done something to either reduce the grub population, or made the hatching season sporadic....

But, if that is the case, this same weather has really forked up some of my best lawns with fungus. I've seen dollar spot before, but never so bad that the grass is covered with white hairlike fungus in the morning, and by afternoon it's a 2 to 6 inch straw colored dead spot.

I've hit my own lawn with 4 fungicide apps this year, even changed up the AI and still have some damage. The worst damage on other lawns seems to be in areas that get no morning sunlight. That white hairlike stuff shows up, it leaves a DEAD spot. Again, only in areas that get no morning sun.

Late emerging/growing clover has also been a PITA this year. CB, not so bad.... yet.

EVM
08-06-2009, 09:54 PM
The dollar spot is ridiculous this year. it is every where. Anyways I was wondering about the grubs too. I think the temps could favor a little late Merit treatment but it is August now so it is too late.

mictrik
08-06-2009, 10:08 PM
I applied it a few hours ago and gave it a good watering with the hope that the evening watering will accelerate the time it takes for the grass roots to take it up. I guess all i can do is wait, see and be prepared with some Dylox. I can only go by what I see on my lawn as I do not have the experience of many lawns like most of you so I really appreciate the input. I am also wondering if the wet and cooler summer has an effect on the grub life cycle. Hopefully you guys can report your findings as we go into summers end...

Whitey4
08-06-2009, 10:31 PM
I applied it a few hours ago and gave it a good watering with the hope that the evening watering will accelerate the time it takes for the grass roots to take it up. I guess all i can do is wait, see and be prepared with some Dylox. I can only go by what I see on my lawn as I do not have the experience of many lawns like most of you so I really appreciate the input. I am also wondering if the wet and cooler summer has an effect on the grub life cycle. Hopefully you guys can report your findings as we go into summers end...

DO NOT water at night, ever, especially THIS year! The fungus problems on LI are at a 4 decade high, (meaning 40 years) and night watering only invites another problem.

mictrik
08-06-2009, 11:27 PM
DO NOT water at night, ever, especially THIS year! The fungus problems on LI are at a 4 decade high, (meaning 40 years) and night watering only invites another problem.

Well i was back and forth on watering it in tonight but my impatient side won out this time. As a rule I never water in the evening and I am sure that waiting for morning to water would not of slowed down the application in a significant way; so in retrospect it was a bit foolish to water it in tonight especially when considering the monsoon like summer we are having. Fortunately, I have not had any fungus on the lawn with the exception of a few mushrooms. Hopefully tonights watering doesnt tip it over edge. thanks again for the feedback!

mictrik
07-14-2010, 01:50 PM
I thought I would try to revive this thread for the 2010 season. I just applied Imidacloprid (GrubEx) the other day. Given the drought conditions in our area I am wondering (if any) effect this is having on the Grub life cycle?

mictrik
07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
bump bump bump

RigglePLC
07-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Should be fine--July is the month for grub control, (with imidicloprid and similar products.)

Frank Fescue
07-15-2010, 11:18 PM
grub control is a scam for the most part anyway. I put down regular fert and charge for grub control since theres a good chance they won't have grubs anyway. The real PITA is when they do get grubs i use it as a precaution next year.

mictrik
07-16-2010, 03:47 AM
grub control is a scam for the most part anyway. I put down regular fert and charge for grub control since theres a good chance they won't have grubs anyway. The real PITA is when they do get grubs i use it as a precaution next year.

Well, I think it is only a "SCAM" if one were to sell an application of Imidacloprid while you know that a Grub problem does not exist. Another, would be if you sold an application for a purpose that it was not intended such as to kill an infestation of mature Grubs. I think that most of the people who frequent this site approach their jobs as professionals and because of that they have an edge over less informed, less competent lawn service providers.
I am a home owner who's front lawn is now very small thanks to strategic shrub beds. I can get 2-3 seasons of applications from a small bag of GrubEX so even though I did not have any signs of damage from Grubs this year (or last) I applied it. I have to say though that I have not seen many beetles this year so it was likely a waste aside of peace of mind.

bx24
07-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Well, I think it is only a "SCAM" if one were to sell an application of Imidacloprid while you know that a Grub problem does not exist. Another, would be if you sold an application for a purpose that it was not intended such as to kill an infestation of mature Grubs. I think that most of the people who frequent this site approach their jobs as professionals and because of that they have an edge over less informed, less competent lawn service providers.
I am a home owner who's front lawn is now very small thanks to strategic shrub beds. I can get 2-3 seasons of applications from a small bag of GrubEX so even though I did not have any signs of damage from Grubs this year (or last) I applied it. I have to say though that I have not seen many beetles this year so it was likely a waste aside of peace of mind.

So you are applyinga chemcial when you do not know if it is needed? This is why there is testing for apps....Peace of mind is not one of the answers on a test...You stated" less informed"..bingo