PDA

View Full Version : Sand Volleyball Court anyone?

ProTouch Groundscapes
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
just wondering if anyone has installed a sand volleyball court. my church has approached me and asked if i could install one. looked up the plans online and it doesnt seem bad at all.

official size is 29.5'w x 59' L = 1740.5 sq. ft.
approximated to 30x60 = 1800 sq. ft.

official regulations call for an excavated depth of 3 feet, then washed gravel then 2 feet of sand. but there is no way our church can afford that much material for this recreational use court.

so im thinking excavated depth of 12" (we have very hard clay soil here), I'll lay my geotextile fabric down over the unexcavated soil, run some corrugated drain pipe along the low side with laterials into each play area then terminate the drain pipe into a french drain approx 10-15 feet off the low corner of the court.

on top of this i will spread 4" of #304 compactible fill in 2" rises with each layer hit with a plate compactor. on top of the compacted base I will put 8" of mason sand. and if need be i can truck in a few tons as needed per year if it washes away etc...

what do you guys think? anything i might have missed or tips on this?

yamadooski
08-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Sounds great except the depth. I have played sand volleyball and some courts that skimped on depth of sand we hit bottom and got scraped up bad.
I would do atleast 2' depth of sand to be on the safe side.

ProTouch Groundscapes
08-08-2009, 08:54 AM
lol, i understand except that at 2' sand depth thats almost 100 tons of sand. if they can swing it price wise ill try and push it.