PDA

View Full Version : Bagworms

betmr
08-06-2009, 03:56 PM
I've got a major outbreak of bag-worms, 6 dead Arborvitaes, & more in the row going. Everything I'm reading says it's to late to treat for them, what do you say, and what's best product?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-06-2009, 05:44 PM
You can still spray them. Use Talstar, or another product containing bifenthrin like malice, crosscheck, bifen. Tempo is another fine one to use. Make sure to get good coverage.

mdlwn1
08-06-2009, 05:51 PM
If the plants are dying...this has been going on for a very long time...like years. Pick them off if you can. If its a new job, try and charge acordingly for hand removal and compare that cost to total replacement. If its not a new job..its kinda your fault...so spray away!

philk17088
08-07-2009, 11:59 PM
orthene works well too.

ted putnam
08-08-2009, 01:46 AM
orthene works well too.

Agreed. Dirt Cheap too! I've seen some Junipers this year that you would spend all day picking bags off the plants...

Orthene(Acephate)

grass4gas
08-08-2009, 04:23 PM
orthene works well too.

It sure does. Just make sure you don't spray it when the temps are above 85 degrees. This stuff will burn plants at high temps.

lawnguy26
08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Bifenthrin with good coverage will knock them out.

betmr
08-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanx for the help guys, I'll see if I can get something done. I appreciate the info.

americanlawn
08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
While I hate to agree with LIBERTY, but he's right. We sprayed Crosscheck at 10 ounces per 100 gallons (high rate) last August when many bagworms already began to pupate. This summer we were surprised at how well it worked, cuz in most instances, no new bagworms were present this summer.

Safe bet is to spray them a.s.a.p. and then monitor the plants next summer to see if new ones are present and need spraying.

Here's a BRAG aimed at LIBERTY (you have called me a liar several times on lawnsite.com).......I sprayed Mickey Mantles's arborvitaes (North Dallas, TX) for bagworms in the late 70's for bagworms. Got more too, but I won't go into that now. Nothing personal, cuz that ain't me. I find it's best to post facts rather than "call people out". NOTE: Everytime I have been called out, I have been forced to supply pictures -- then guys say "WOW, I never knew".

Unfortunately, I have no pic's of Mickey's home, but I can give great detail so as to prove what I say is true. (this info is available by PM only). I just hope it doesn't come down to this. :cry:

You can still spray them. Use Talstar, or another product containing bifenthrin like malice, crosscheck, bifen. Tempo is another fine one to use. Make sure to get good coverage.

a plus bob
08-11-2009, 07:05 PM
orthene works well too.

Yeah but it smells like rotten corn and a$$ :laugh:

americanlawn
08-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Yep -- Orthene smells like RC's toilet :laugh: after sitting in the tank for a day or two. Even Talstar (which we prefer) begins to get that "organic smell" after a couple of days, but it still works no matter the smell. Sorry RC - I couldn't resist. Been using Orhtene for decades, so I know. OOOOP's Am I bragging?:confused: Sorry. Thought this site was to be infromative???

Now I expect "the usual" personal attacks from a select few. Too bad. I'd post pics of "bad smell" if I could, but that's impossible -- sorry.