PDA

View Full Version : Question about trimming shrubs

dave k
08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
After you trim shrubs and than the new growth comes back in a vengeance, How soon afterword's do you re trim them, do you wait for the new growth to season or what are your take on this.

I have over 150 shrubs around my home and its quite a chore to keep up, I think next spring it will be Growth Regulator time!
I hate trimming!
Thanks for your help.
Dave

david shumaker
08-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I try to trim them again before new growth gets too long. They are quicker to clip and less mess to clean up.

STIHL GUY
08-07-2009, 11:52 PM
it all depends on the customer. around my house i like to trim before they get out of hand

Think Green
08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Dave,
It will depend on what type or species of the shrubbery you are trimming. Some can withstand multiple trimmings as they grow back quickly...Barberry,Abelia,lobelia,nandina,certain types of hollies,compactas yaupons,Elyagnus, to name a few. Some require trimming only after they are through blooming. If trimmed severely again, next season's blooms are compromised.
You can do to your shrubbery as you wish, as the customers property needs to be understood as to what they have growing. Some of our customers have 3 level landscapes. Each level has to be trimmed in a sequence to keep them growing without damaging blooms.

fl-landscapes
08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Look into pgr's like cutless.

dave k
08-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Dave,
It will depend on what type or species of the shrubbery you are trimming. Some can withstand multiple trimmings as they grow back quickly...Barberry,Abelia,lobelia,nandina,certain types of hollies,compactas yaupons,Elyagnus, to name a few. Some require trimming only after they are through blooming. If trimmed severely again, next season's blooms are compromised.
You can do to your shrubbery as you wish, as the customers property needs to be understood as to what they have growing. Some of our customers have 3 level landscapes. Each level has to be trimmed in a sequence to keep them growing without damaging blooms.
Most of mine is are Indian Hawthorne and a holly type shrub.
thanks

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Trim your shrubs at the time of year where you will not get a lot of re-growth for that particular species.

diamondedgeoutdoor
08-11-2009, 11:38 AM
just hook one end of a chain or cable to the bushes and the other end to your truck drive forwards, back up and repeat. that will reduce the growth tremendously......hahaha

Kennedy Landscaping
08-13-2009, 02:45 AM
I keep the shrubs at our house trimmed about once a month. Some people only like to do them about twice maybe three times a season though.