PDA

View Full Version : Dollar spot every where!

EVM
08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I am seeing dollar spot every where. I never saw this much dollar spot before and some of my own lawns have it too. Besides spraying a fungicide what will the curative application do? Will those dollar spots that have burned down the grass blade permanently leave a dead spot in the lawn? Or will new growth sprout from the crown?

Whitey4
08-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I have never seen dollar spot progress past scattered leaf lesions before, while admitting I haven't been in the squirt biz all that long, but it has advanced to the white cobweb stage on many of my lawns in areas that get no morning sunlight. The kill is complete once those white hairlike cobwebs show up. Dead grass, straw collored, spot from 2 to 6 inches.

The damage from the early red thread onslaught is still visable, now this.

I know a guy here, been in the biz forever, and he said this is the worst lawn fungus season since 1978. I have no reason to doubt him.

The killer is, how many customers think it's my fault? Especially the new ones? then, add in the people who think their fungus infested creeping bentgrass looks like hell because of me.... not understanding that this stuff is a weed anyway...

This has been a very frustrating season.

olive123
08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
dollar spot is avoided by a solid fert. program. You can apply fert and it will help

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-07-2009, 05:04 PM
dollar spot is avoided by a solid fert. program.

Ha, maybe in Florida:rolleyes: While a good fert program is essential & applying fert now will help, it does not keep it all away. If this were the case, golf courses would not spend 1,000's of dollars each year to keep it from eating up their turf.

Long term solution-Disease resistant cultivars. Short term solution in residential lawns-Sell them an application of Armada from Bayer. It's a wettable powder that you can run through your Z. I Use large nozzles & slow down to 2.5mph to get good leaf coverage @ 1.5 gal/k

Don't stress over it-Educate the customer about what it is & why it is there, then make a bunch of extra money taking care of it for them:usflag:payup

PM me if you want a few tips & brochures on selling it.....

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I know a guy here, been in the biz forever, and he said this is the worst lawn fungus season since 1978. I have no reason to doubt him.

It's been a horrible year for disease here too! This July set the record for coldest July. June was cool, overcast & drizzly-not enough rain to get a bunch of top growth, but enough to keep the leaf blades wet for long periods of time=Red Thread GALORE! Don't know how many customers I explained in early June that the weather would get warmer & conditions that lead to Red Thread would go away & it would go away as well...and then the weather never improved:cry: Oh well, sold a bunch of fungecide:cool2:

hughmcjr
08-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Same here with Summer patch. I see it everywhere and it doesn't matter how well you maintain the turf with water/chemicals if fungicides are not used and I don't use them regularly or have it as part of my service cost.

turf hokie
08-07-2009, 08:24 PM
dollar spot is avoided by a solid fert. program. You can apply fert and it will help

It might help, but I have lawns that we put down nutrients plus 16-2-3 3 weeks ago that have it, other lawns with 24-0-8 merit from lesco that have it as well. The weather here is just prime for dollar spot, the catch 22 is that some of the lawns with dollar spot have brown patch as well.....so add some fert the dollar spot goes away but the brown patch feeds....most customers seem to just throw their hands up at the price of the fungicide app and are willing to wait for the seeding to start in about 2 weeks.

The lawns not on a solid fert program a worse. The only ones that dont have it right now are being fed with 16-2-3 every 4 weeks. Not everyone wants to pay for this monthly service though......

Whitey4
08-07-2009, 09:03 PM
This is just one of those years... even a good fert program won't keep dollar spot away.

Hokie, I'm in agreement and in the same boat. I have applied fungicide to my own lawn 4 times since May, and beleive me, it's well ferted, but I have some damage to my turf as well. I am getting more fungicide apps, but we all know how that goes, people spend the money they want 100% results, and it just doesn't work that way. I do my best to tell them it will help a lot, but it won't cure the problem.

EVM
08-07-2009, 11:19 PM
dollar spot is avoided by a solid fert. program.

In a perfect world; maybe. My lawns have solid fert but when you get weather that extends leaf wetness, nothing will stop the fungus other than a pre app fungicide.

EVM
08-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Ha, maybe in Florida:rolleyes: While a good fert program is essential & applying fert now will help, it does not keep it all away. If this were the case, golf courses would not spend 1,000's of dollars each year to keep it from eating up their turf.

Long term solution-Disease resistant cultivars. Short term solution in residential lawns-Sell them an application of Armada from Bayer. It's a wettable powder that you can run through your Z. I Use large nozzles & slow down to 2.5mph to get good leaf coverage @ 1.5 gal/k

Don't stress over it-Educate the customer about what it is & why it is there, then make a bunch of extra money taking care of it for them:usflag:payup

Yeah Liberty, I use the Armada/grey one gallon tips but cruise at 4 mph on the Z. My lawns were clear until we had high humidity, heavy rain on Wednesday around 6-7 PM, then 4 inches of rain around 5-6 PM on Friday. The lawns never dried out until the next day, and we also had heavy rain on Sunday around 12 PM. No fungus on my lawns on Friday, I come back this week and dollar spot galore on some, the neighbors yards are riddled with dollar spot also. It is a real shame because the lawns have NEVER been this green in August since I have been in the business.

I called the customers and told them to shut the irrigation off for a week. All of the customers told me to come out and treat for the fungus.

Whitey4
08-08-2009, 12:08 PM
I installed top quality sod 4 weeks ago, with starter fert. This stuff gets fumigated after it's cut. It has advanced dollar spot in two locations. Popped up overnight. No tell tale leaf lesions, just an overnight development. Hit it with fungicide yesterday.

bx24
08-08-2009, 09:37 PM
This is just one of those years... even a good fert program won't keep dollar spot away.

Hokie, I'm in agreement and in the same boat. I have applied fungicide to my own lawn 4 times since May, and beleive me, it's well ferted, but I have some damage to my turf as well. I am getting more fungicide apps, but we all know how that goes, people spend the money they want 100% results, and it just doesn't work that way. I do my best to tell them it will help a lot, but it won't cure the problem.

Too funny. I hit my yard 4 times at proper intervals per Eagle 20...damage too. Problem is after going threw a few hundred..I said I am done for this year on it..

this year is poor in MA..June was a wash...Then the past 2 weeks are junk.

Whitey4
08-09-2009, 12:20 PM
My local trade association meeting will be at Bethpage, the site of this year's US open golf tourney, and there will be 2 PhD's from Cornell there.... turf research types. It will be interesting to talk with them next Tuesday and see what they have to say.

greenskeeper79
08-09-2009, 02:39 PM

What height of cut are you mowing at? Anything above 2" with a balanced fert program should not need fungicides. You much be low on N because dollar spot is a fertility induced disease. Golf courses spend $$$ on dollar spot and other diesease because they are mowing at or below 0.5" on tees and fairways. Greens are less than 0.125"

Enviroment and plant stress (mowing) contribute to diesease appearence, among other things.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-09-2009, 02:56 PM
What height of cut are you mowing at? Anything above 2" with a balanced fert program should not need fungicides. You much be low on N because dollar spot is a fertility induced disease. Golf courses spend $$$ on dollar spot and other diesease because they are mowing at or below 0.5" on tees and fairways. Greens are less than 0.125"

Enviroment and plant stress (mowing) contribute to diesease appearence, among other things.

Lawns in question vary, as we do not do maint. on all of them-However, lawns that we cut are at 3.5"-4" and are affected.

I understand what you are saying about the low mowing heights, but having taller cut turf & other cultural practices do not guarantee you will not have a problem-especially when there are succeptible cultivars & weather that has been conducive to the development & continuation of the disease.

bx24
08-09-2009, 03:36 PM

I agree but in Mass with over 100 days, it has rained over 67 of them, your mower height does not add much.

Everone has issues up here. It changes every10+ years...

Whitey4
08-09-2009, 06:37 PM

Key word.... "SHOULD". I mow at 3.5", and my lawns are well ferted. I also mulch for additional slow relaese N from mid July to late August. My last fert app was June 30.... and this severe dollar spot problem came up 3 weeks ago. In July.

There is not a SINGLE lawn on LI that has escaped this year.

What should and should not happen is out the window this year. 2009 is the year of the fungus. More N, more brown patch. Less N, more dollar spot. Lawns are still suffering from the massive red thread problem in the spring.

Please don't preach any of this "should" stuff. That is fine for turf experts who love to talk about "shoulds", but they aren't out there in the field.... they sit in offices with impressive shingles and degrees hung on their office walls and talk about how it "should" not be a problem, blah, blah.... it IS a problem.

Sorry if I come off as caustic..... but enough of the "should" bs....

greendoctor
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Key word.... "SHOULD". I mow at 3.5", and my lawns are well ferted. I also mulch for additional slow relaese N from mid July to late August. My last fert app was June 30.... and this severe dollar spot problem came up 3 weeks ago. In July.

There is not a SINGLE lawn on LI that has escaped this year.

What should and should not happen is out the window this year. 2009 is the year of the fungus. More N, more brown patch. Less N, more dollar spot. Lawns are still suffering from the massive red thread problem in the spring.

Please don't preach any of this "should" stuff. That is fine for turf experts who love to talk about "shoulds", but they aren't out there in the field.... they sit in offices with impressive shingles and degrees hung on their office walls and talk about how it "should" not be a problem, blah, blah.... it IS a problem.

Thank you for saying it. Too much "should" or my favorite "why" will make me wonder if the person saying those things works for a living or not. My clients regard me because I do not deal in the "should" or "should not" preached by people who are in their office/lab 90+ % of the time, where if the grass looks bad, their job is not at stake. If dollar spot is a problem, I am prepared to do a fungicide rotation. Mine is Eagle EW, then 3336, then Insignia. Other difference is that I price all monthly service agreements for some "just in case" situations. The just in cases in my area include in no order of frequency of occurence are: dollar spot, billbug, sod webworm, kyllinga/nutsedge, Take All Patch and brown patch. Yes I do pay mind to irrigation and fertilization practices, however I do not have such a cranio-rectal inversion or a " GREEN" political agenda that it prevents me from acting when needed.

bx24
08-10-2009, 06:35 PM

I agree. Then again, every forum has there people that say should do this and that...

It an't that easy.

phasthound
08-10-2009, 08:15 PM
The lawns not on a solid fert program a worse. The only ones that dont have it right now are being fed with 16-2-3 every 4 weeks. Not everyone wants to pay for this monthly service though......

Applying Nutrients PLUS Aux-N-ite 5-4-0 in late spring/early summer and again late summer for cool season can greatly help in the prevention and recovery of many fungal diseases. It is also great for over seeding and as an economical substitute for top dressing.

ICT's NPP will control both red thread, dollar spot and brown patch.

suzook
08-10-2009, 09:13 PM
i have had great success with milogranite. applied in middle of june/july, and august. Stinks like sh*t(because it is), but never burns, and the iron seems to have helped.

phasthound
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Oh, and in case I am misunderstood, when conditions are as they have been in the NE this year....there will be fungal diseases no matter what is done.

turf hokie
08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Barry,

I agree with the idea about the 2 products you mentioned. I have not tried the Auxinite and will be putting out the NPP shortly for Fairy ring.

I do believe that the lawns we are treating the the 16-2-3 are stronger and more resistent to disease this year. We have around 250 houses and almost 80 acres of commercial work on your product this season, so far we have seen fungus on about 5 of these houses and we did not treat with a fungicide (dollar spot), but put a 1/2 rate of 16-2-3 again and it is starting to grow out.

Whitey4
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Barry,

I agree with the idea about the 2 products you mentioned. I have not tried the Auxinite and will be putting out the NPP shortly for Fairy ring.

I do believe that the lawns we are treating the the 16-2-3 are stronger and more resistent to disease this year. We have around 250 houses and almost 80 acres of commercial work on your product this season, so far we have seen fungus on about 5 of these houses and we did not treat with a fungicide (dollar spot), but put a 1/2 rate of 16-2-3 again and it is starting to grow out.

Hokie, where are you buying Barry's product?

ron mexico75
08-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Too funny. I hit my yard 4 times at proper intervals per Eagle 20...damage too. Problem is after going threw a few hundred..I said I am done for this year on it..

this year is poor in MA..June was a wash...Then the past 2 weeks are junk.

Man, glad I'm not the only one. I have hit my own yard with Armada in mid may and again in june and it has been a non stop battle. At first it was dollar spot and now (mid August) a nasty case of brown patch. I threw my hands up and said screw it! One of the wettest springs in recent history around here. I guess that's how it all started. I'll just leave it now. I'm like you, after spending that much on it and its still an issue......no way, not spending more.

turf hokie
08-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Hokie, where are you buying Barry's product?

C'Mon Whitey, I'm buying Barry's product from Barry of course!!!!

ant
08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
my fert. program has a very high N value. this is the first year that i had a dollar spot outbreak in a longtime here in the North East.

GravelyGuy
08-11-2009, 10:19 PM
What do you guys do about 1 acre+ lawns that are infested with dollar spot? I find people aren't willing to pay and I can't much blame them. I have one right now that is infested and I'm ashamed of it.

suzook
08-11-2009, 10:38 PM
What do you guys do about 1 acre+ lawns that are infested with dollar spot? I find people aren't willing to pay and I can't much blame them. I have one right now that is infested and I'm ashamed of it.
unfortunately let it go. reseed in sept. sometimes just throwing chem/$ isnt worth the fight. sometimes you just have to let it go and start fresh in the fall.

ant
08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
push it out with N

GravelyGuy
08-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Some of the old spots that are damaged are starting to fill back in. I guess I'll just keep feeding it nitrogen and see what we end up with come fall.

Thanks...

phasthound
08-12-2009, 12:11 AM
C'Mon Whitey, I'm buying Barry's product from Barry of course!!!!

I was waiting for that. :)
All you have to do is contact me via my website & I'll do what I can to help you with your business.

phasthound
08-12-2009, 12:13 AM
my fert. program has a very high N value. this is the first year that i had a dollar spot outbreak in a longtime here in the North East.

Turf requires more than N.
Prevention is the best cure.