PDA

View Full Version : Boulder wall price? Bid?

shop's lawn
08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
What are your bids on a boulder wall? 70ft in length- two courses high,two rocks high. The rocks are 2' to 3' in size.
There is a boulder wall that was build by the builder and this wall is going to be set in 5' from the existing boulder wall. No grass, its a new contruction home. All the rocks are there on site. Its a straight wall. What is your best guess to build this wall without seeing it in person?

DVS Hardscaper
08-07-2009, 07:18 PM
We have done this.

Take this information for what it's worth.

First of all, if you charge a set fee - you're in trouble.

Moving and placing the boulders into place takes a long time. ONE BOULDER AT A TIME. Unlike man-made block, no two boulders are the same. One boulder could take 4 minutes to set. Another boulder could take 15 minutes.

YOU MUST CHARGE EITHER HOURLY OR PER DAY.

We used (2) skid steers and a small crawl track loader (as see in in pic). Wall is 10' high, around 100' long, maybe 120', can't remember. All boulders were onsite. We charged per man per hour, plus materials (aggregate base, 3/4" drainage gravel, filter fabric, flex drain tubing), plus I charged per week for the equipment. Took 3 guys 1 month to complete. One. Boulder. At. A. Time.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/walls/Andrew's%20dream/boulder-wall-1-lg.jpg

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/walls/Andrew's%20dream/boulder-wall-snow2-lg.jpg

mrusk
08-07-2009, 10:29 PM
A good operator can build a boulder wall pretty quick. We did a 6x140 in about 3 days last year.

Saying that you can only do this work by the day is crazy. I guess you can only do irregular flagstone work by the day also. I mean some peices you need to cut alot, some peices only a little. Come on.

DVS Hardscaper
08-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Just sharing with the guy our experience.

Job went smoothly. Wall hasn't moved an inch. Aforementioned price structure Was VERY profitable.

LOL - Really sorry, didn't mean to strike that low self esteem jealously nerve for ya there Matthew :) Wasn't anticipating a who can do what faster competition, who arouses faster, or how one can make more money competition.

stuvecorp
08-08-2009, 12:05 AM
If I have a mini and Totem grapple with the boulders laid out to pick through, interweb special of ten grand. Seriously, hard to say because it depends on so much stuff.

DVS, I like your logo in the pictures. This maybe a stupid question - how do you do that?

DVS Hardscaper
08-08-2009, 12:19 AM
If I have a mini and Totem grapple with the boulders laid out to pick through, interweb special of ten grand. Seriously, hard to say because it depends on so much stuff.

DVS, I like your logo in the pictures. This maybe a stupid question - how do you do that?

And that's just it. Our boulders were not neatly dumped near by. The boulders were subsequent of construction of 3 new homes and were buried in the woods about 40 yards away from the worksite. So many variables. Good attorneys charge hourly for a reason. And that reason is: "potential variables"

Stuvecorp - the watermark is placed on all the pictures on our super dooper looper website by the person that does the website maintenance. Not sure how they do it! But any web designer should be able to do it. Just makes for a little extra creative work for anyone lookin to pirate our pictures!

stuvecorp
08-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Stuvecorp - the watermark is placed on all the pictures on our super dooper looper website by the person that does the website maintenance. Not sure how they do it! But any web designer should be able to do it. Just makes for a little extra creative work for anyone lookin to pirate our pictures!

It's sorta subliminal but a nice touch.

Bru75
08-08-2009, 12:38 AM

May not be the same as DVS's, but I use the paint program that came with my computer to put my logo on pictures.