PDA

View Full Version : Bulb Suggestions????

ParkerLawn
08-07-2009, 04:15 PM
I am getting ideas together for a customer to plant some bulbs along a brick fence wall. I want something simple and clean with color. I am looking towards tulips, hyacinth, daffodil and iris. I am in KY which is transition zone so any suggestions would be great.

White Gardens
08-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Tell your customer that it will be a process to plant bulbs.

Irises need to be transplanted after they are done blooming or if bought they need to be installed in the spring.

Tulips, daffodils, late spring alliums, and any other spring blooming bulb needs to be planted in the fall.

You can also plant summer bulbs, that might be hardy in your area such as cannas (actually a rhizome), caladiums, etc...., if they aren't hardy, you can either let them die and buy new every spring, or dig them up and store them for your customer.

Just dig around a little on-line and see what other bulb options you have for your zone.

Az Gardener
08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I have good luck with Freesias, Ranuculus, Anenomes, They are great long flowering winners for me.

Tulips are great but the blooms are easily destroyed by wind. Will not naturalize to my knowledge.

Iris are great and come in several varities, color, heights. have a long bloom period and some are re bloomers now. They will naturalize.

Daffodils are easy and cheap, they have a short bloom cycle, and will naturalize

Hyacinth are very short and fragrant but you have to be very close to smell them. The blooms last a good while. will naturalize but not vigorously.

Ranunculus are tall and long blooming many very bright vibrant colored blooms.

Anenomes are short and very bright,vivid colored they don't naturalize to my knowledge.

Freesias are medium height many colors and have a long bloom period and will vigorously naturalize.

If they are viewed from far away you would probably do better with Iris, Daffodils, Ranunuclus, possibly Freesias.

Kate Butler
08-08-2009, 11:54 PM
I am getting ideas together for a customer to plant some bulbs along a brick fence wall. I want something simple and clean with color. I am looking towards tulips, hyacinth, daffodil and iris. I am in KY which is transition zone so any suggestions would be great.

First and foremost - what is the critter situation at the site? They will not bother Narcissus (daffodils). Most will consider tulips a smorgasbord. Alliums remain generally unbothered.

There are many kinds of Iris. Which are you referring to?

There are types of naturalizing tulips: all quite small in height, but with lovely colors. The same may be said of the Alliums: although there are medium and tall varieties, also.