PDA

View Full Version : top soil

tpl
04-21-2002, 03:40 PM
i did a search and pilfered through 287 posts and i still was unable to find what i was looking for. i guess i couldn't find the right subject.

I need to spread 21 yards of top soil. No grading involved.
3000sq ft @ 2"

15% grade is finishing off the back yard. should I roll it after i seed and fert it. also, no bobcat will be involved. i can't fit it through the fence. all wheelbarrow work.

can anyone give meet an estimate of time to do the srpeading. i have only done this with bobcats.

2 men

thanx,
pat

jeffyr
04-21-2002, 04:44 PM
I can't help you on the time, but my landscape calculator tells that 3000 sq ft @ 2 inches deep is 18.52 yards.

Length: 100 ft.
Width: 30 ft.
Depth: 2 in.
Total square feet: 3000.00
Total cubic yards: 18.52
3 cu. ft. bags needed: 167
Total cubic meters: 14.16
Total soil tonnes: 21.30
Estimated barrow loads: 166.67

I just noticed that it recommends 167 3 cu. bags, but also says that it will take 167 wheel barrow trips. I guess that is a 3 cu. ft. wheel barrow judging from the numbers. I seem to remember that my 6 takes 7 manageable trips per yard (or 5 very full Popeye size loads). I imagine much less with a dual wheel with larger tub.

jeffyr

jeffyr
04-21-2002, 07:00 PM
To head off any replies:

I copied the info that the calculator gives after the numbers are input. I guessed at 30x100 to get 3,000 sq ft and I would not use bags of soil......but the information was there so I posted it.

jeffyr

Lanelle
04-21-2002, 07:03 PM
I usually try to find a way to take down a section of fence and put it back up after the work is done. As far as the time involved: that depends on how far you have to carry the soil. You will probably have an hour or maybe a little more involved per yard of material but there are variables that we can't see here.

PAPS
04-21-2002, 09:10 PM
I would agree with Lanelle... you need to find a section of fencng to take down... use that Bobcat to move the topsoil, then put that fence right back up

AGLA
04-22-2002, 07:57 AM
If you need to wheel barrow them, here is an efficient way for two guys to bang it out. Leave the top soil on the truck if you are hauling it. Line them up nose to tail gate. One guy gets on the truck and starts filling each wheel barrow one at a time. The second guy takes off with the first when it is full. The other guy takes off with the second wheel barrow when it is full. When the first guy gets back he becomes the filler....
It takes very little time to empty 5 yards into the back yard. You will also be more efficient in maintaining that 2" depth over a bobcat.