PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bed Edger

heygrassman
04-21-2002, 09:10 PM
I am going to be renting a Brown Bed Edger this week. I have never used one before. I have about 200 ft of beds around my house to practice on, but was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to use this well.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Flowers

Harvestman
04-22-2002, 09:01 AM
Go slow. Find the cable and phone lines. This thing will cut through anything. It works better if the ground is somewhat dry.Good luck.

Lawns2nv
04-22-2002, 04:06 PM
Good advice , the Brown bed edger works great. But it will tare off sprikler heads and cut cable easy

heygrassman
04-26-2002, 10:46 PM
Sweet Tool... I like it much better at carving out new beds than reshaping existing.. Very sweet.. Advice was well noted and used. thanks..

Jeff

LawnPro in NC
05-05-2002, 12:16 AM
If your looking for electric lines, water, tele, irrigation, cable t.v. it will show you where they are. These are just some of the things I have found. But it works wonders and saves labor. I really hate for the customer to be home when I edge beds because it is so quick and you know how some people are about paying alot for a little work.

If your doing 1000' it will spend less time with you not running than it will take you to edge that much.

Easy money if you don't find the utilities.

GarPA
05-05-2002, 06:36 AM
Lawnpro...man you hit the nail on the head ...again! The speed of this machine is what I was trying to get at in a post I made on the other forum here....if mr customer sees how fast we can do a 1000ft they dont understand why the bill is hundreds of dollars.....few of us use this machine it seems...I still think it is the BEST profit tool we can purchase/rent...not to mention we dont have sod to haul away.

As far as underground objects, I put IN BOLD, in the proposal that my company is not liable for damge to things I cant see.(now whether that holds up legally is another story but I have cut some wires and some pvc pipe and the client has not made me fix it. If they have invisible Fence or irrigation they agree to mark it. The problem I've found with I.F, is that where they say the doggy wire is, is often not accuarte...so I call them and tell them to come and splice it since it was their error not mine...so far they've been cooperative. Maybe we shouldn't keep giving our little secret away about how much money you can make with this machine....just kidding...we all seem to want to help out each other here...at least most of us

lawnstudent
05-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Kitz writes: "...not to mention we dont have sod to haul away."

Don't you guys see grass in your beds within the first year if you don't cut out the sod first or spray Roundup before you edge with an edger? Just wondering.

jim

heygrassman
05-05-2002, 12:03 PM
This bad boy chews up the grass pretty good. Remebember this thing is only making a 4"x3" crevace. With new beds, we pose to the customer 2 alternatives with new beds: 1) Recommended but more costly: is sod removal, 2) buzz of the turf to a 1/4 in, roundup, landscape fabric, and new soil.

#2 is less costly but not the way we prefer way to do beds. I will post a few pictures of the beds at my house... take it easy all, I have had NO time to finish um off....

Existing bed:

heygrassman
05-05-2002, 12:07 PM
New Bed:

heygrassman
05-05-2002, 12:12 PM
New Bed:

heygrassman
05-05-2002, 12:14 PM
Exsiting Bed Reshaped: