PDA

View Full Version : Lacebugs in Azaleas

mcambrose
08-08-2009, 11:16 PM
I need to treat some azaleas for lacebugs. I have been using Ortho systemic, but the product has been discontinued and I have run out. Has anyone tried Acephate 90 SP which is the same active ingredient, but a lot more concentrated. I haven't tried to price this yet, but it is labeled for shrubs. I assume it would be much cheaper than buying ortho systemic because it is so concentrated. I would probably have to buy a 2.5 gal container. I found another manufacturer for the acephate at similar conc to ortho systemic, but gets a little pricey with shipping.

My other option is Merit, but it seems way too expensive. I have customers with 50 or more azaleas. I can treat with acephate for about 0.50 or less per azalea, but merit can be 5 to 10x that.

I realize that Merit would be longer lasting, but I doubt I could sell a customer on $2.50 to $5 per azalea especially when one has over 100.
Any other suggestions or observations?

Thanks,

bug-guy
08-09-2009, 08:09 AM
look at acephate 75 comes in 1 lbs container mix with h2o probably less than 15.00

grass4gas
08-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Check JDL. They carry Acephate. I believe it comes in 1lb cans. It has been awhile since I bought any, but it was pretty cheap.

I would also check out Talstar or Bifenthrin. Acephate can burn shrubs if used during high temps above 85 degrees. Talstar and bifen (generic name of Talstar) are basically the same product are very safe to use in high temps. The bifen I/T product is very inexpensive compared to the Talstar. Try using merit as a preventative next year. Staying one step ahead will be alot easier to keep insects under control.

One other thing, as all of us certified applicators will agree, be sure that you're certified to do these jobs on your customers lawns and shrubs. I forgot to look to see if you were or not. If so, you're good to go. If not, you should pass this on to a pro.

mcambrose
08-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am a certified applicator in ornamental and turf pests for Alabama. Licensed for about 10 years, but I only do it part-time, so I don't have 10 years worth of experience.

Some posts keep mentioning imidacloprid (Merit) for a preventative application.. Where do you find the cheapest product pricing and what you do estimate the material cost for you is for a 4' high azalea. The labels I have read give the amount of product to be used based on the azalea height. I would have to be able to have a product cost of less than $0.75 per plant to sell the service for my customers that have 50 or more azaleas. I have several that have this many.

upidstay
08-11-2009, 11:27 AM
There a million different brands of imidichloprid (merit) out there now that its off patent. Try your local dealer or the internet.

Coretect tablets by Bayer are great too.

Think Green
08-11-2009, 08:23 PM
MCAmrose,
Orthene, Bifen will take out the lacebugs! Orthene will control on contact, the Bifen will offer some residual effects. Merit is a good preventative insecticide and must be applied prior to insect attack, as it will take some time for the foliage and the root system to absorb and translocate the material. Merit is pricey, so if I were you, spray the azaleas when it is cooler in the day, and if there is major stippleing damage, add some ironate to the soil dripline to restore some color to the foliage. The damage cannot be corrected this year as new regrowth is slow now. Next season do the Merit application and then retreat with folar if needed.