PDA

View Full Version : I was so wrong about Sub-K mulch

Russo
04-21-2002, 09:54 PM
Some of you may recall a post of mine where I COMPLETELY DOGEED-OUT mulch blowing contractors. Well, JKELTON responed with a post stating basically that his outfit is in my area and that he's no punk like other contractors I've dealt with. He offered to meet me and address my concerns.

Long story short, JKelton has blown 145 yrd of mulch for me since we met last month, and I look foreward to having him prove me wrong in the future.

Hey J, if you're out there, post a pic of that monster truck for the boys and girls.

Landscraper.

jkelton
04-22-2002, 11:45 PM
Landscraper,
Thanks! I appreciate the opportunity to work with you on those projects. Lawnsite has definitely proven its worth for me and I hope others see the power of networking with Lawnsite!

Thanks again,
JKelton

heygrassman
04-23-2002, 12:10 AM
Holy mulch batman.. nice rig!!!

sloan
04-23-2002, 05:08 AM
Jkelton,
I have been thinking of buying an express blower, I live in the Seattle area and their are quite a few companies that have the express blower. How has business been for you so far, Do you have a landscape business or have you made this your only business. Are there others in your area using the express blowers. How do you market your service. I would appreciate any information. I think it would be a great service, but am afraid I may not be able to do enough business to justify the cost.

jkelton
04-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Sloan,
This is my first season in the business (got the truck in December) and this is my only business. Business is going well right now (as well it better be), but to tell you the truth, it had been a little slow earlier in the season. My target market for this service is the landscaping contractor/maintenence person and/or company. I have run through some resistence to this though - I think one of the main reasons is because our area has a abundance of inexpensive labor from south of the border and most people already have this fixed cost built into budget this year. I have received a mixed bag of opinions - some companies love working with me in doing their mulch jobs, some fear that I might be their competition. I have held out on targeting the end consumer - I would rather my client deal with the end user than me. There is one other person that has a truck like mine in my immediate area - so far I have had no problems with him (I actually get a little bit of business indirectly from him).
I believe your area is much more mature market than ours. You guys are used to using this service more so than people down here (you guys also traditionaly use more mulch in your landscaping than we do). It is a very capital intensive venture - make sure that you area can sustain another truck or two (look to the future). See what people are saying about other companies in the area and decide if you can bring anything to the table that would be beneficial. Run cost/benefit analysis using sound assumptions on volume/year and profit levels. You are in an aggresive market - whatever you decide, commit yourself to it.

JKelton

David Gretzmier
04-24-2002, 12:58 AM
Jkelton- sorry, I can't resist- how does someone like yourself jump into the rexious blower? we are looking at a million in sales this year and I am afraid of that kind of capital expenditure. we do alot of mulching, but aren't those things around 400 grand? it sounds as though you just started, how do you make your payments and live? how do you find the volume in 4 months to operate? I guess I am just dumbfounded comparing it to a new startup lawn company that immediately has the best of everything. Dav eg

sloan
04-24-2002, 06:44 AM
JKelton,
Thank you very much for the reply, It is great that you are willing to share your advice to others, who are interest in what you have done. Best of luck to you, I will be watching the board for replies from you in the future. Thanks again Sloan

jkelton
04-24-2002, 02:52 PM
David,
You pose an excellent question. I am fortunate to be a part of a larger company who has been in business for almost 30 years. At my stage in life, I know I could not do this on my own. I try to stay positive when I discuss the business, but realistically it is a big risk. Right now mulch for landscaping purposes is the prominent product I offer - I plan on marketing other products, such as terraseeding, to supplement my service. Terraseeding can be used to replace slit fencing and erosion control blankets (ususally seen on road embankments) as an effective, less expensive alternative.