PDA

View Full Version : New to the business

RJR7110
08-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Hello, my name is Ryan and I live in Northwest Indiana. I just recently started cutting grass for money. The only job i have now is cutting the grass at a church. I been cutting grass forever and like to think of it as very therapeutic.
I hope to expand my business after i finish college. I want to own multiple trucks and mowers and add more services like tree removal, landscaping(more elaborate stuff) and hardscaping. Well any advice would be very helpful. Especially from owners of larger businesses.

DLAWNS
08-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Good luck to you. Welcome to Lawnsite, any questions just ask.

g21
08-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Ryan, Welcome to the landscape industry. I would advise you to take some business courses (even if it's not your major) particularly accounting. Nobody likes accounting when they're in collge but trust me, it will save your life in the business word, especially in the service business! Keep building the business slowly while you are ins school. Be VERY selective about the accounts you bring on. Don't take on any accounts that will require major capitol or distract you from school. It will all be here when you get done! Don't hesitate to ask for help with anything you need. Good Luck.

Tommy

dwight1moore
08-11-2009, 06:06 PM
welcome to the site man, good luck in your quest

RJR7110
08-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Ryan, Welcome to the landscape industry. I would advise you to take some business courses (even if it's not your major) particularly accounting. Nobody likes accounting when they're in collge but trust me, it will save your life in the business word, especially in the service business! Keep building the business slowly while you are ins school. Be VERY selective about the accounts you bring on. Don't take on any accounts that will require major capitol or distract you from school. It will all be here when you get done! Don't hesitate to ask for help with anything you need. Good Luck.

Tommy

Thats weird because accounting is my major!

tropical breeze
10-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Take one step at a time. Walk before you run.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Thats weird because accounting is my major!

Mine as well. But you need to slow down with everything.

g21
10-07-2009, 08:42 PM
That's great to hear. Spend as much time as you can on learning to understand financials - P&L, budgeting, balance sheets, etc.