PDA

View Full Version : ZTR for 8.5 Acres

8.5Acres
04-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Ok, a rookie here, so please give me some patients.

I just bought a house with 8.5 acres and would like to mow it to keep it nice. The previous owner just used a bush hog for about 6 acres and a riding mower for the rest.

Here's the real question, what is the best machine to buy to get the best cut? Let's try to keep the suggested retail price under $10k.

Thanks.

Mowingman
04-21-2002, 11:00 PM
Check out the Dixie Chopper mowers. They have ZTR's with a 60" deck that are avail. with several engine options. All will sell for less than 9000.00 unless you want a diesel engine. They are very fast, great cut, and smooth to operate. Besides, they are built just a short distance from Indianapollis, so dealer support should be very good.:)

marvinlee
04-21-2002, 11:28 PM
I have a Kubota ZD-21. It has a built-in crank to lift the front deck for cleaning and blade changing. The only hydraulic hose is one that goes to the deck lift cylinder. The seat is ultra comfortable with interior springs in the seat cushion plus a link-type suspension under the seat. It has a wider-than-some track that makes it more stable on slopes. The front axle pivots to give a smoother ride. The deck belt is a double V construction that makes engineering sense. Mine cost $8700 on a dark, rainy Oregon day last winter. It has a 60 inch deck and a claimed 21 HP Kubota diesel engine with 778 cubic centimeters displacement.

LP
04-21-2002, 11:40 PM
Toro makes a mid z with a 72 in. cut, it capable of cutting 6 acres per hour with a beautiful cut and less than 9k, its an awesome unit!

Shumdit
04-23-2002, 11:23 PM
I also went with the Kubota ZD-21 60 after a lot of investigation. I only have about 2.5 acres but compared to Craftsman 25HP/48 deck I was using which took almost 2 to sometimes over 3 hours!! (if the grass went a full week it would clog the deck after about 2 passes) I went to about 40-45 minutes with the Kubota. Another reason to go with the Kubota might be fuel economy. Cutting 8.5 acres will use a lot of fuel, but diesels are known for fuel economy as well as power and longevity. I would go through 3.5 gallons in about 2-2.5 hours on the Craftsman, but I have only used about 5 gallons in 6 hours with the Kubota. To me, a diesel for the same price as a gas motor ZTR is a no brainer. I do like Exmark products also, but their diesel is about 2500-3000 more than the Kubota, and my local Exmark dealers admitted they can not work on the engine if it needs more than general service. My local Kubota dealer seems to be just as customer oriented as the Exmark dealer is, and he can handle all service issues in house. One more thing, I got 4.49% financing for 48 months with Kubota Credit. Good luck with your decision. This forum offered me a lot of research and good advice when I was shopping :cool:

johnhenry
04-23-2002, 11:58 PM
since you are so close to dixie I would go with them great cutting quality and so close to you

bharrison
05-01-2002, 04:08 PM
I too have a ZD21 and can't say enough about it. You can't go wrong with Kubota. I cut 2 acres, and a tank of diesel will last over a month. 60" deck-Full suspension seat, hydro-lift, wet disc pto clutch-shaft drive deck-3cyl diesel-the list goes on. Well worth $9000.00
-Ben

John DiMartino
05-02-2002, 01:49 AM
for the price,Id get a 72",either Exmark,Toro,or Dixie,The spuer Z 72" may be in your budget,if it is,thats the nicest one out of them all.

captdevo
05-02-2002, 05:47 AM
walker, dixie or hustler

i wouldn't fool with the kubota, their stamped decks and the drive leave much to be desired. but they do make a great engine!

Shumdit
05-07-2002, 01:36 AM
CaptDevo, I must defend the honor of my mower. I believe I have seen you post these comments about the ZD21 on more than one occasion (correct me if I am wrong about that), but Kubota's stamped decks have been used commercially for many years longer than exmark's welded units with great results from the actual owners I have spoken with. You also seem to have something against the Hydro system because of it's design, but have you seen an actual problem with them? It seems to be a much better design (superior filtration, seperate fluid units, no hoses hoses to crack or leak, etc.) and I have yet to see anyone with a problem. If you think the design, by being different and possibly more complex is inferior, then I guess we should all be using $129 push mowers from Wal-Mart to keep the design simple, and the price low enough that when they break, we can just throw them away. I have read that Kubota was late to the game because they spent so much time designing and testing the ZD before it was released. I can not say I have had any problems with mine, but it is not yet 3 months old. I think that Exmark, along with many others have a fine product, but the features vs. price of the Kubota is hard to beat. The Walker is not really in the same class, as it is much slower and has a smaller deck than most ZTR's. A dealer who sells Walker also told me the deck drive system and the impeller were weak points on the Walker and they had been making improvements to try and correct the problems. The Hustler I know very little about, so I really can not comment on them, except to say thier owners seen to like them. The Dixie (also loved by the majority of their owners) looks like something I might be able to make in the garage. I am, sure it is a good product, but this has to be the most cobbled together looking mower out there. These are my opinions which I have explained my reasons for having and I think posting an opinion as vague as yours should not be done unless you elaborate in more detail the basis of your opinion. Just my $.02, as worthless as it is...;)

johnhenry
05-07-2002, 03:06 PM
Shumdit I have to agree with captdevo the kubota has alot lacking it compare to alot others. First there parts are very high. I will give you on the engine ./ They make a great one on that. But Kubota has been on there own planet sort of speak all by there selves. Both my neighbors have kubota's and I wouldnt have them .Examrk,hustler,dixie and walker are top of the line and no way shape or form can kubota be judged better them.Plus Capt Devo as a dealer has alot more close up on hands info on diffren brands.

Shumdit
05-07-2002, 05:57 PM
Johnhenry, Again as I asked Captdevo, where are the details of Kubotas inferiority? "Parts are high", lets see I paid $8.00 for a canister type air filter, 6.30 each for blades, $51.00 for a deck belt (and it's not some regular automotive type belt). Does not seem high to me. I paid more for that at Sears for parts formy old Crapsman mower. I am sure that some parts are higher compared to the same type part on a Exmark, or other machine, but in my experience (and others who have much more experience than I) you buy a better product, you pay more for it, you don't regret it later on. Parts for Ferraris are high, as are parts for Rolex watches. Yet they are not considered inferior as a result of that fact. It is the nature of the beast. I guess in 5 or 10 years the Kubota ZD can either have been proven a great product and therefore value, or else it may be the Edsel in Kubota's product line. Just because you won't own something your neighbors have does not make it inferior. If you care to elaborate on the inferiorities of the Kubota ZD in detail, and based upon facts, I am sure we could all benefit from it. If your opinions based on the fact that you own another brand are the basis for your lack of enthusiasm for the ZD, then I bet you are the kind of guy who drives a Chevy and thinks Dodge and Ford are junk, or Vice Versa. Every product has pros and cons, but I have not seen any real substansial reasons for the Kubota being a less desirable or reliable product than the others in the market. Just my $.03 ( dang inflation...:rolleyes: )

mowsho
05-08-2002, 02:41 AM
You have a very good exmark dealer in Indy.

In your case most commercial mowers will fit the bill, I suggest
you go look at a few and then settle on the one that has the features that you want.

Also dont forget about the dealer he can make the whole thing go very smooth or if make it rough.

As a dealer i never spend the time talking down another product.
We always tell the customer what we can do for him, not what another unit can't.

Go look and demo the units you want to see, then buy from the dealer that makes you feel comfortable.

Shumdit
05-08-2002, 10:39 AM
Well put mowsho. I applaud your response for it's honesty, and I agree the worst product with the best dealer is no less of a bargain than the best product with an awful dealer. In our area, the Kubota and Exmark dealers were given high marks by customers. I agree it was a serious factor in my decision.