PDA

View Full Version : grinding wheel life

djagusch
08-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm about ready to make a call for the group buy deal but have a question on the grinding wheel wear.

I currently have a Oregon red wheeled blade sharpener. Owned it for 3 years and never have needed to replace a grinding wheel. The current dia is 7.5" and don't remember what it started out as. I started not using it much (a set a week) but now I'm doing 3 sets a week so trying to cut my time down.

I read about people using up grinding wheels a lot on the Magna-Matic. I hear after the initial sharpening it doesn't use as much wheel though.

So my question is how many sets of 61" blades can a person do on a wheel?

I know it has a lot of variables in the question but a educated guess would be nice to know. A wheel is $30 so it's not much but worth knowing.

lilweeds
08-09-2009, 10:20 PM
I was told between 100 and 300 blades. Although the depends on what wheel you use.

Magna-Matic
08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Hello,

Yes the 100-300 range is the general answer we give, and it can of course vary.

The wheels we use are softer to manage heat, sharpen quickly, and to be self-dressing. For most landscapers we see upwards the 200-300 blades out of a wheel.

Small to mid-sized landscapers can use 1-3 wheels per season. I have some smaller landscapers use 1 wheel per 2-3 years.

Keep in mind we base this off a 8-12 mowing hour schedule of maintenance.

Also note, we have 3 different hardnesses if you would like to change the life span of the wheel, but keep in mind the higher yield wheel will sharpen much slower.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Magna-Matic
08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Hello All,

I forgot to address the other comment about the "first wheel"

We often see landscapers quickly go through the first wheel. The reason for this is that if the landscaper was previously using an angle grinder, bench grinder, belt sander, or modified bench grinder style sharpener the angles of the blades are NOT consistent.

So the first wheel is removing a bit more steel getting all the blades to a consistent angle. Once the blades are all consistent, then subsequent sharpenings are much quicker, and use less of the wheel; because you are ONLY grinding what is required to sharpen the blade and nothing else.

This is also why angle consistency will give you longer BLADE LIFE too.

Thank you,

Green Pastures
08-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Hello All,

I forgot to address the other comment about the "first wheel"

We often see landscapers quickly go through the first wheel. The reason for this is that if the landscaper was previously using an angle grinder, bench grinder, belt sander, or modified bench grinder style sharpener the angles of the blades are NOT consistent.

So the first wheel is removing a bit more steel getting all the blades to a consistent angle. Once the blades are all consistent, then subsequent sharpenings are much quicker, and use less of the wheel; because you are ONLY grinding what is required to sharpen the blade and nothing else.

This is also why angle consistency will give you longer BLADE LIFE too.

Thank you,

I can certainly attest to this statement.

Another reason is getting used to the way you have to sharpen with Magna Matic as opposed to other brands.

I was pressing the blade into the wheel ALOT harder than necessary.

dwost
08-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Both of the above are very true statements. It's effortless to sharpen a blade once it's been properly angled and sharpened on the MM. I touched up a set I originally sharpened on the MM and it literally took about 30 seconds/blade to sharpen and balance.